Help! Baby marbler

Amber

Any information on any of these would help so much! My granny passed away and I inherited about 300 marbles. These are a few that stuck out to me. Hoping to carry on the collecting tradition with my three sons. Thanks in advance more pictures in comments  😁

04942357-D2A0-4390-9259-4C8AF5C13D1B.jpeg

3F881A2A-AFC7-4484-A002-4F69ABA11DA3.jpeg

8313D75C-9182-49C1-8326-F8A937CD8198.jpeg

FBC56C9C-30CF-4F4F-B985-DFC8297CDF7E.jpeg

That is a nice sampling of marbles from different eras.  

A good start to the hobby.

Make sure you keep these together with a note that they were from your grandmother.  I mention this because once you get into marbles it's easy for them to start rolling around together and things you think you wouldn't forget start to get fuzzy.  So start documenting early!  

And welcome!

• Like 1

Welcome. You have a nice mix of vintage marbles and there are many folks here who would be happy to help you identify them. I can identify most of them from your picture. The problem is identifying which marble I am talking about to you. You can make it a lot easier for us if you arrange 8-12 marbles in a grid and post each group in a new topic. If you can show us more than one side of the same marble that could be helpful too- just keep the marbles in the same grid position so we can refer to them by row and column.

• Like 1
  • Award 1

I can take a stab at the ones in your hand

Top row L) Alley Agate swirl  R) Akro prize name (corkscrew)

Middle row L) Akro corkscrew (possible Popeye) R) Alley Agate superman.

bottom) maybe another superman But prob'ly Alley.. 

Any of these may prove to be wrong with more views. Thanks

Bruce

• Like 1

Not a bad layout but waaay too many marbles, Amber. To tough scrolling up and down and trying to keep track of which picture, which row and which column.

Please post only 8-12 marbles in each topic. In other words, start a new topic (not a new post) for each group of 8-12 marbles. The multiple views are great though.

I want to help but this sort of post make it too difficult.

• Like 1

Maybe I can get you started and save you some time.

Marbles 3 & 6 in the second row of your last picture are one of the most common vintage marbles you'll find (#4 in that row is just an odd one). They were made by Vitro shortly after the second World War and are referred to as Conquerors. You have lots of them in your collection.

They have white glass, that appears to be painted on, covering about 2/3 of the surface of the clear transparent glass body. The other 1/3 of the marble has  colored glass patch on the surface. You will also notice that they have two "seams" on opposite sides of the marble. The surface patch can be one of many different colors.

Hopefully, you will now be able to go through your collection and pull these out.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ric said:

Not a bad layout but waaay too many marbles, Amber. To tough scrolling up and down and trying to keep track of which picture, which row and which column.

Please post only 8-12 marbles in each topic. In other words, start a new topic (not a new post) for each group of 8-12 marbles. The multiple views are great though.

I want to help but this sort of post make it too difficult.

Thank you for your patience. I’ll post later today after work! 

9 minutes ago, Amber said:

Thank you for your patience. I’ll post later today after work! 

The way the forum works can take a little getting used to but it'll be worth it in the end. You and your boys will learn a lot about vintage marbles and you will introduce them to a very fun hobby that they could enjoy for a lifetime.

Thanks for your persistence!

Amber, WELCOME to the forum. You have inherited a very nice bunch of marbles. They range from early Akro and upwards. These marble forums are the place to go to, to (learn). Forums, books and shows is a goal to look at. In the 48 years for me, you will find not only tons of information, but acquire many (wonderful friends) along the way. A great hobby to be in. Chuck G---