what do you make of this copper sparkler but no pontils? .62

Jeremysvt

I'm guessing contemp.  

But I don't know how smooth it's possible for old marble makers to having gotten the ends of their marbles.  Mostly I'm posting so I will get the notification when someone else comments.  

9 minutes ago, Steph said:

I'm guessing contemp.  

But I don't know how smooth it's possible for old marble makers to having gotten the ends of their marbles.  Mostly I'm posting so I will get the notification when someone else comments.  

thanks it was my first thought too, but was was with some other germans and a nice group and would be the only contemporary so stumped.

IMG_9816.JPG

It's way past time that I should learn what "faceted" means on a glass marble.  I in the mood to learn things this morning.  Anyone have close ups of what facets look like on the antique marbles? 

3 hours ago, wvrons said:

Goldstone or gold lutz is made from copper.  It is not a Sparkler, sparklers are machine made.  I agree that it is modern contemporary. 

i just meant it was sparkly.  i tried to get a pic of the thumbnail indent 

IMG_9906.JPG

IMG_9905.JPG

4 hours ago, Steph said:

It's way past time that I should learn what "faceted" means on a glass marble.  I in the mood to learn things this morning.  Anyone have close ups of what facets look like on the antique marbles? 

Faceting resembles the facets on a gemstone (thus the word faceting) usually way les but still faceted. There are 3 types of terminations to where the cane was cut  or (terminated) while forming the marble.  "Faceted" i.e. the oldest type : melted pigtail : & unfinished.  Faceting was accomplished by "grinding" the end down, creating the familiar "flat spots"  of "faceting"

Melted pigtail, sometimes the pigtail is so obliterated (melted) that it will be barely visible.

image.png.1f883946190630a2333d505e0f740e31.png

Faceted : not a very good pic but the best In could come up with, you can see one of the "facets" visible near the upper center right hand side. I don't know how good you screen is but a few other facets are visible to me in this pic.

image.png.f39b840efb89b461ab99776e4ed8c79d.png

Both ends are "unfinished" on this Joseph Coat, I estimate the manufacture date my handmades using this, that and the colors are usually far brighter on the latter. Faceting was mostly done away with by 1870-1880, the higher demand for "gameboard" marbles in the late Victorian era made for much smaller sizes and the quicker production method of the unfinished ends.

image.thumb.png.9a44a78b508f29d6d96657a99b1507ed.png

Faceted on one end and a melted pigtail on the other usually indicates a manufacture date of between 1850-1870 or thereabouts.

Later manufacture (1870-1910,15) usually showed a great reduction in size along both ends being unfinished (quicker production) & brighter colors, these marbles were also often called English, though they were  produced in Germany for the "English" gameboard market.

12 hours ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

Something looks wonky with that Lutz, a re-melt would be my guess.

The peppermint swirl (red,white, blue) in the group shot also looks a bit suspect in terms of the reverse twist and number of red bands.

the peppermint does have a pontil and mica in the blue