Brown Swirls with Hieroglyphics on Opaque Light Blue Grey 0.62

Plutonianfire

Yeah, some kind of reject as if it was a dug-up at a factory. Whatever those dark slivers and stuff is, is really strange and not exactly chips or moons from play. Something extra ordinary while made as I've never seen or can imagine what caused that stuff. It looks like the brown was burning and when hit the rollers, junk got in while being shaped..

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jeff54 said:

Yeah, some kind of reject as if it was a dug-up at a factory. Whatever those dark slivers and stuff is, is really strange and not exactly chips or moons from play. Something extra ordinary while made as I've never seen or can imagine what caused that stuff. It looks like the brown was burning and when hit the rollers, junk got in while being shaped..

Very sophisticated, and plausible, analysis.  I agree.

If the explanation was as simple as marble playing damage then:

1. Why no indication of other playing damage like chips, flakes and subsurface moons?

2. Why is damage conspicuosly limited to the area within the colored swirs?

3. Why the dark discoloration? It’s about the same color as the swirls.

4. How do you explain the long wavy lines and other areas of dark discoloration that lacks a full moon or crescent shape?

5. These moons look pretty small for damage from another marble. 

That's 100% a Heaton. This brownish purple they used in this marble and several others was weaker and softer. It reacted badly with being buried, fractured a lot,  and often got the ridges or abalone effect. A similar brownish purple was used by Alley and Cairo as well and it fared the same in the ground. I am pretty certain it's Wissmach glass, as much of it in that color was also found at Heaton and Cairo. 

• Like 2
  • Award 3

1 hour ago, cheese said:

That's 100% a Heaton. This brownish purple they used in this marble and several others was weaker and softer. It reacted badly with being buried, fractured a lot,  and often got the ridges or abalone effect. A similar brownish purple was used by Alley and Cairo as well and it fared the same in the ground. I am pretty certain it's Wissmach glass, as much of it in that color was also found at Heaton and Cairo. 

Awesome explanation. 

As for UV reactivity, that depends on whether you’re using a blacklight at 395 nm without a filter for visible light, a long wave UV light at 365 nm with a  filter for visible light, or a short wave UV light at 254 nm.

First photo shows effect of long wave UV

Second photo shows effect of short wave

Third photo shows effect of normal visible light

Photos 4, 5 and 6 show two marbles under long wave UV, short wave UV and visible light

55EEAB61-0EF5-449E-9CF4-CE05FDA22DBF.jpeg

A0094BF6-4650-4192-926A-A37EF1E02058.jpeg

301DECB7-A5B0-441D-84C8-E999F827BC91.jpeg

C7E9F7D7-432D-4774-A791-46F071D16523.jpeg

A63E5D02-A537-4391-81CC-5C4B1FE3EFE0.jpeg

39E578DA-6E13-43A9-BB08-CF770185C277.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, cheese said:

I have no idea what wave black lights I have. I didn't know it mattered. With my black light, very few Heatons glow.

395 nm is so close to lower end of visible light range that there is marked “contamination” with visible light that  dissipates the ability to see a UV effect.

The short article at the url below is entitled “What is the difference between 365 nm and 395 nm UV led lights”.  Information should be helpful, especially the figure showing spectral ranges at 395 nm vs 365 nm.

https://www.waveformlighting.com/tech/what-is-the-difference-between-365-nm-and-395-nm-uv-led-lights

• Award 1

1 hour ago, Ric said:

A lot of the response at a given wavelength depends on the fluorophore and other compounds in the glass that might quench it.

1 hour ago, Ric said:

A lot of the response at a given wavelength depends on the fluorophore and other compounds in the glass that might quench it.

Good point.  That’s why I showed the the different colored fluorescence patterns at 365 nm long wave and 254 nm short wave using two marbles that fluoresce differently at long and short wave.