Interesting Guinea idea

Steph

Been chatting with Ralph Lucht and he postulated something I don't remember hearing before.   

Proposal: 

Guineas weren't actually made at Christensen Agate Co.  They were made by Arnold Fiedler at Cambridge Glass from canes and rounded on modified MF Christensen machines.  Then they were sold in limited quantities through Christensen Agate. 

Ralph has spoken with people relatively close to the source about this.  

Seems a touchy subject.   Many are like me with no well-formed opinions about them and watch from the sidelines.  Those willing to get into the discussion seem to have strong opinions and positions are quickly fortified with no movement.   And Guineas remain mysterious. 

So, I _am_  intrigued by the idea that Guineas are actually Fiedler Cambridge marbles sort of jobbered through Christensen Agate rather than made there.  So I am starting a new discussion on it!  

giphy.webp

• Like 1
  • Award 1

1 hour ago, slagmarble said:

I had an opportunity to buy a dug chunk of guinea "cane".  Normally this is out of my wheelhouse but was too interesting to pass on, at least until it's final price was realized.  Can't comment on the rest but there does seem to be physical evidence to support part of the manufacturing process.

That's interesting, a photo would be great, if possible, but a description of the piece could be helpful too. I assume it was dug at the CAC factory? How thick was it? Was it smooth and uniform like a piece of pre-worked cane, or was it more like a drawn out piece from a worked one?

50 minutes ago, slagmarble said:

From memory it just looked like a rod shaped chunk of raw guinea material...transparent base with frit specs melted into the surface just like the marbles.  Wasn't huge, but it also wasn't just a blob of marbles all melted together.

Thank you for responding - I appreciate it!

Eddy Seese and I came to the conclusion that the nubs on the poles is a hard center that didn’t get hot enough to liquify because of it being 3/4” size ….!   And cooled too fast to be totally rounded in the machine. And the cut line is not typical for a sheer mechanism on fully automatic marble machines. And the other end on bottom is broken off from the cane and was not melted. So it’s not a blob of glass to start. 😃and Eddy made a cane and cut marbles from it with cut lines similar to Guineas. I will send pictures of his work soon showing this.