A Rare Find

akroorka

My heart goes out to all of you that are sitting alone over this great Holliday weekend.

I am sharing a rare find with you all because all of you here are rare finds. You share and give with no expectations of any reward, just sharing.

These marbles are as matter of fact—almost all pee wee marbles. I thought that I over bid until I opened the shipment. The box bottom is with them—no top.

You are all a rare thing to find!

I wish you all well:wub:.
Marble—On!!    

One.JPG

• Wow 3
  • Award 2

On 12/23/2023 at 1:26 PM, akroorka said:

My heart goes out to all of you that are sitting alone over this great Holliday weekend.

I am sharing a rare find with you all because all of you here are rare finds. You share and give with no expectations of any reward, just sharing.

These marbles are as matter of fact—almost all pee wee marbles. I thought that I over bid until I opened the shipment. The box bottom is with them—no top.

You are all a rare thing to find!

I wish you all well:wub:.
Marble—On!!    

One.JPG

Does the box have anything stamped on it ?? i.e. Country name ??

11 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Does the box have anything stamped on it ?? i.e. Country name ??

Nothing Chad, let me show you an image of the corner staples, very cool!

The cardboard is very old as well as the staples--just no top----Nice marble bruise marks inside.

One piece at a time in my world, a top may be in the future, who knows?

The box measures aprox 2-5/8" X 3-5/8".

As you can see the cardboard has some ruff edges. This is earlier stuff. Some folks make it yet today, mostley paper but it is too time comsuming to fake imho.

Thanks for asking, I do not mind sharing a bit.

Marble--On!!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4 hours ago, akroorka said:

Nothing Chad, let me show you an image of the corner staples, very cool!

The cardboard is very old as well as the staples--just no top----Nice marble bruise marks inside.

One piece at a time in my world, a top may be in the future, who knows?

The box measures aprox 2-5/8" X 3-5/8".

As you can see the cardboard has some ruff edges. This is earlier stuff. Some folks make it yet today, mostley paper but it is too time comsuming to fake imho.

Thanks for asking, I do not mind sharing a bit.

Marble--On!!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

A lot of the old German boxes looked just like that w/ the steel staple construction along w/ a stamp, "Germany" of course. Probably a few other countries did the same ?? Thanx for the extra pix Art  :)

• Like 1
  • Award 1

On 12/31/2023 at 11:43 AM, akroorka said:

Thanks back--for sharing yours--nice box!

Marble--On!!

I'm surprised that you are unsure of the origin of these porcelain pieces. Painted porcelain from China. The more complete rings the more rare. Overseas shipping boxes are made to order and not meant to be returned. Pull the staples and the sides fall down .. These Chinese marbles are every bit as old as the Germans first attempts.  1860s if I remember right. The really collectable ones have hand painted flowers or birds on them .

I have spent 10 years doing research on marbles  and stopped buying during COVID. Then had my collection s stolen from me.

In my bitterness I stayed away until now. My how things have changed. A once communal and caring society of folks who lived the marble life,  has become infested with scam artists. forgers , con men. Polishers , remelters, and mountains of bad information.   Does anyone refer to Robert Block, joe marbles, marblealan, anymore. Their websites are gone and the names are for sale . Websites that chronicles entire lifetimes of knowledge and detail. And tons of reference photos.  Now a favorite game is called find the glow bug!  Lots of advice on how to find those uranium glass marbles! It's easy! You don't have to try that hard. Your reward? Uranium glass. Uranium.  Put them on the shelf next to your lead civil war soldiers .  

I love you all. Lets share and grow and learn. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, dubbleyou said:

I'm surprised that you are unsure of the origin of these porcelain pieces . . .

The marbles shown in this thread are hand painted porcelain "chinas" made in Germany.

As for the reference sites you mention . . .

Robert Block's site: https://www.marblecollecting.com/

Joe Marbles site is here, literally: https://marbleconnection.com/joemarbles/

Alan's site is now curated: https://buymarbles.com/marblealanhome.html

And you are currently on a site that, no doubt, "chronicles entire lifetimes of knowledge and detail. And tons of reference photos".

Welcome back to marbles!

🙂

• Like 1