Whaaaat ????

12 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

Contemporary of Vintage 🔥

This one reminds me of some of the "newer" non-clay marbles that are/were being sold--plastic or mastic of some sort.

The colors do not line up with what I have seen in books as "Lined Crockery".

It sure looks like it has a kiln fired glaze.

Perhaps @bumblebee or @hdesousa can chime in here.

Marble--On!!

15 hours ago, StevenJustSteven said:

Am I the only one that is reminded of chalkies? 

Chalkies are glass marbles that fell from the machinery (rollers etc.) & hit the lime coated wooden floor during production in the process became lime coated themselves. The floors in the old marble factories almost all had lime on them to prevent the common fires. OP is a glazed & fired clay marble, not glass IMO, looks like a so called lined crockery marble to me ? Looks of modern make, not vintage ?? All are not Alley but it seems some of the best examples are. A very desirable marble as most were buried or discarded along w/ the rest of the imperfections.

8.PNG

9.PNG

10.PNG

7.PNG

6.PNG

5.PNG

4.PNG

3.PNG

2.PNG

1.PNG

• Award 1

7 hours ago, Chad G. said:

Chalkies are glass marbles that fell from the machinery (rollers etc.) & hit the lime coated wooden floor during production in the process became lime coated themselves. The floors in the old marble factories almost all had lime on them to prevent the common fires. OP is a glazed & fired clay marble, not glass IMO, looks like a so called lined crockery marble to me ? Looks of modern make, not vintage ?? All are not Alley but it seems some of the best examples are. A very desirable marble as most were buried along or discarded along w/ the rest of the imperfections.

8.PNG

9.PNG

10.PNG

7.PNG

6.PNG

5.PNG

4.PNG

3.PNG

2.PNG

1.PNG

I'm confused.... What's the purpose of this reply? I know what Chalkies are. I only said that I was reminded of chalkies. I never said that I thought it was a chalky. It's quite obviously not a chalky. 

1 hour ago, StevenJustSteven said:

I'm confused.... What's the purpose of this reply? I know what Chalkies are. I only said that I was reminded of chalkies. I never said that I thought it was a chalky. It's quite obviously not a chalky. 

Nothing on you, just explaining & showing for anyone who might not know the difference between the two  :)  

• Award 2

On the tangent of chalkies, the story above isn't how they came to be. It was supposed that it was possible until we found out that the chalk IS the ribbon inside and out. A chalky broken in half has chalk on the inside. In fact, a chalky was put into an acid and it ate out the chalk and left a marble full of wormholes where the chalk was. I wish I could find a pic. The chalk was in the tank and coming out with the stream of glass. I don't know if it was a component of glass that didn't get mixed, someone goofing around with lime or something similar, an accident, glops of mortar that fell in during tank repairs, who knows. But it does go throughout the marble, not just on the surface as it would be from rolling on lime or a reaction from the ground they were buried in.

• Award 2

25 minutes ago, cheese said:

On the tangent of chalkies, the story above isn't how they came to be. It was supposed that it was possible until we found out that the chalk IS the ribbon inside and out. A chalky broken in half has chalk on the inside. In fact, a chalky was put into an acid and it ate out the chalk and left a marble full of wormholes where the chalk was. I wish I could find a pic. The chalk was in the tank and coming out with the stream of glass. I don't know if it was a component of glass that didn't get mixed, someone goofing around with lime or something similar, an accident, glops of mortar that fell in during tank repairs, who knows. But it does go throughout the marble, not just on the surface as it would be from rolling on lime or a reaction from the ground they were buried in (a theory that was recently angrily forced on me as fact by a collector).

Ron gave me the info I wrote, yours is news to me. He said he knew the wooden floors were coated w/ lime to prevent the all to common fires that were so prevalent in early marble production. He told me after one of his infamous answers to my question w/ a question. I dug for 3 weeks for the answer to no avail. Thank you for the new info Chuck  :)  If you could find a pic of the wormholes or a broken Chalky that'd be great.

6 hours ago, Fire1981 said:

I always wondered how that happened. Thanks for the info Chad. Now I know what Cheese's avatar is 🔥

RAR

Chuck's (cheese) AAM avatar is a Chalky, not the same as his Pelt avatar here on MC ( just to eliminate any confusion)

5 minutes ago, Fire1981 said:

Now I’m confused. Are you referring to my OP 🔥

RAR

Your OP is a glazed clay (crockery) IMO, Chalky is a glass marble

• Like 1

On 5/4/2024 at 8:38 AM, Chad G. said:

Nothing on you, just explaining & showing for anyone who might not know the difference between the two  :)  

I actually have a question about chalkies. If I was blind folded and someone handed me a chalky. Would I be able to tell that something was up with the marble or would it feel just like any another marble?

In Steve's Alley Identification video Ron briefly discusses chalky marbles. Seems some marbles you can feel it on the surface, others not so much.

Screenshot (5242).png

• Like 1

Some you can definitely feel it, no question. Here are some close ups of a couple I have that Chad showed earlier. Sorry Fire, I don't know who made yours. It's an odd one. DSCN6172-2.jpgDSCN6179-2.jpg

• Award 1