Pistachio ... Who Used It?

Steph

Two questions.

1. What shade is 'pistachio' to you?

2. Which marble makers had pistachio in their color palette?

Sorry Bob ... not trying to distract from the clear thread! which is progressing magnificently! :icon_popcorn:

I have a specific reason for this question. :-)

Another great Alan shot, and I don't know if the question was meant in a way that would require someone with more marble experience than I have, or if it's open to anyone with a color opinion. To me that looks like a pretty good range; not sure if you could take it much further in either direction.

post-1844-1218138043_thumb.jpgpost-1844-1218138020_thumb.jpg

To me, the pistachio shown, is a little too minty, a little too blue, pistachio actually has a slightly warm color to it, more earthy. I would go with the first color, more nutty.

My pics didn't turn out the best, I tried flash, but it bleached out the color. So I tried without flash, and my unsteady hand, caused a slight blur, and a little dark. Although this marble also makes me want some mint chocolate chip icecream :lol: ......

with this lt.green/chocolate brown colors, I would say Ravenswood also......

I agree that the first is closer to what I think of as the actual nut color. And "minty" is also a word which comes to mind when I see the 2nd.

I thought the 2nd was called pistachio when folks were describing marble colors though, so I wanted to get confirmation. I think I have.

The question now is, is yours also called pistachio ... by marble people, that is?! ??

And another question is who made it? p.s., does yours fluoresce?

nice capture on that fluorescence!

I have a couple which fluoresce like that. I think my brown may be a little creamier and more opaque. (should be a good coffeehouse word for it, but I don't know it yet)

I used to have a couple with a similar base and what I think may have been horsehair oxblood. But that was before I'd seen good pix of horsehair oxblood so I wasn't sure and they're gone now so I can't confirm.

Nice marbles!

I should have known that the people here wouldn't just use any old marble that related to the color question. As such, I find myself suddenly realizing that I've been staring at a particular marble for five minutes and have no recollection of what the original topic was. Thanks a lot! ( :

Okay, Jill Marie!

Tell me about the background! These are nice shots of a nice marble, but I can't help thinking that I'm looking at the latest shots from the Hubble telescope, showing the newly-discovered planet "Orbachio"! Bob

I didn't even notice it till you said it, with the blue marbles beside the main one we're discussing, kinda creates moons.....The background sparkles is none other than the gray foam from the gun cases I carry them in......mmmmmmm........You gotta good eye......my bathroom light put some sparkles in that airy foam......wish I had purposefully thought of it. :huh:

You know Steph, this marble could actually be an Alley, but I don't know.....You know me and my ID issues :rol: ...lol..........and that being said, I'll leave the rest to you all!!!!!!

Okay, Jill Marie!

Tell me about the background! These are nice shots of a nice marble, but I can't help thinking that I'm looking at the latest shots from the Hubble telescope, showing the newly-discovered planet "Orbachio"! Bob

Horse hair oxblood?

Nice. Not horsehair though.

Sometimes the term is used for just a strand of obvious oxblood. Often I think for mibs with threads of something brownish which probably isn't traditional ox. ??

The "hair" part is the operative term. :-) Looking for something sorta thready.

I know ... pix would be good here. maybe someone can help out! :-)

I'll start a new thread to ask about horsehair because I still would like to hear more about who made pistachio ....

(swirls and otherwise)

I guess it all depends on what you call pistachio? Most of what i have seen called pistachio,were opaque green with black or very dark purple swirls,some very dark brown swirls. The three main producers were Alley,CA,and Ravenswood. From what i have seen the last 7-8 years the largest producer of these was Alley. Even marblealan list almost all,if not all of the pistachio that he gets,as made by Alley. I have and seen a few Ravenswood that would probably fall into the same group. Most (70%) of the Alley pistachio will glow but not all. Ravenswood made a similair green but the swirls are usually dark brown,instead of black or dark purple. Ravenswood made at least 4-5 or more shades of green with 4-5 shades of brown swirls,and most of these glow. Ravenswod also made several with this green and very dark blue swirls. Years ago they were all believed to be made by CAC.

The companies that i know of which made the horsehair oxbloods are,Alley,Champion,Heaton,Ravenswood,Cairo Novelty,and a few others could have some considered horsehair ox,some Akro,some patches. Again it is all what you consider horsehair oxblood. The list above is in the order of numbers produced,by what i have seen. There is a wide range of different oxblood color in several of these,some of the Champion goes more to the red side than oxblood. The most common color base is, green/white,green,and in 4-5 different shades. Next would be blue/white,blue,2-3 different shades. Most of the blue ones or blue/white with horsehair ox will be Champion,but some of the other companies also made blue,but not common. Some are just opaque white and horsehair ox. A few are just clear and horsehair oxblood swirl or stripes.

There can be a wide variety of either of the ones above,pistachio or horsehair oxblood,and as many opinions about them.

An interesting thing to me about almost anyone's idea of 'pistachio' is that it seems to need a little bit of 'creaminess'.

The best analogy I can think of would be if you were trying to mix paint of this color. You just couldn't do it using only the components of green. You'd have to make a darker green than you wanted and then add white. (Possibly some other things as well, but I have no idea.) Cheers, Bob