Horsehair Examples?

Steph

Anyone have any favorite horsehair oxbloods they could share?

Insight into what all goes by that name?

Some is actually ox, right? some could be other company's bricks or browns?

thanks!

I heard the term 'horsehair oxblood' used shortly after I started collecting about 10 years ago. It was explained to me that it was a very thin line of oxblood, usually on swirl type marbles. Since that time, I have also heard people use the term 'oxhair' (combining the two...?). Anyway, the horsehair oxblood seems to be primarily on Champion and Alley type of swirls and some that are probably Heaton (I think Ron Shepherd mentioned Heaton had some). Here's a pic of some of mine - ignore the ones near the top and top right that are obviously not horsehair.

post-279-1222359005_thumb.jpg

Al,my best guess from pics.

horsehair oxbloods

row 1 -2 = Alley, Alley

row 2 -3 = Alley,Ravenswood,(maybe Alley),Ravenswood (maybe Alley).

row 3 -3 = Heaton,Champion,Alley

row 4 -4 = Alley,Champion,Champion,Champion.

row 5 -3 = Champion,Champion,Champion.

That is indeed neat Carole. Delicate. Lovely.

Your first sparkler sure looks like ox from here, Zora, and the 2nd looks close enough that I'd say yes based on your in-hand hunch that it is. The swirl ... does look like what I thought might be called horsehair when it was in a pistachio base, even though it doesn't look like actual ox to me.

I think I was probably wrong about what I thought was horsehair ox on the two examples I used to have. It was thread-like, but distinctly brown, not a hint of brick or red.

Thanks everyone for the input and examples!

Zora, please ignore my answer.

All I know is sparklers can have what folks call oxblood, and to me yours look like they do. Both of them.

As to the swirl, I can't tell. I shouldn't have tried to answer. Hopefully someone else will play clean up for me.

Thank you Steph for your answer, I am always interested to hear others thoughts or opinions on different marbles. A lot of things seem confusing to me, or inconclusive and maybe that's because they are. It is a shame sometimes that people don't give their thoughts because they may not be sure, then if no one does, without discussion it remains a mystery.

What's confusing me on yours ... it looks like the right color, but it seems as if I can see through it. Ox shouldn't be transparent.

Now I'm wondering ... is it in particles? (does that question make any sense?)

Little pixels of oxblood could give the right color, and then if there are minute separations between the particles that could give transparency.

oh brother ... I'm going out on a limb this time. LOL

Guest browse4antiques

I've included a pic of the type that I always thought was "horse-hair-oxblood". The other kind, I throught was referred to as a "line-oxblood", as in my second pic (maybe they are two variants of the same marble). Regarding "oxblood" in German sparklers, I don't think any of the "oxblood" looks just like the MFC oxblood - there are several different shades that were used - some more purplish, and some more redish, some completely opaque, some translucent. So, for the German sparklers, I think any dark red accent color has come to be called "oxblood". ...Roger

post-112-1218242638_thumb.jpgpost-112-1218242644_thumb.jpg

Cool. That's what I was wondering about on a couple of my old marbles. The thread on the marble at the left is not a brick-y tone. Mine were more like that one. I wondered if that was also called horsehair oxblood.

That blue one looks amazing, is there a close up of it on it's own?

Hoping I understand oxblood correctly now, as a colour made by only MF Christensen but sometimes referred to as oxblood if a similar colour appears in other marbles. Under a (cheap x10) eyeglass my one looks like the thick strand is made of lots of thin strands close together and almost looks like painted on the surface by a shaky hand. It doesn't look translucent but some of the white is translucent. No idea whether or not it is a horsehair oxblood.

This is my horsehair collection (not sure about the second to last one in bottom row), and my guesses as to what they are.

I'd like confirmation on the ids, if possible.

Ravenswood, Champion, Alley, Champion

Champion, Alley, Alley, Ravenswood

post-279-1222359204_thumb.jpg

Hoping I understand oxblood correctly now, as a colour made by only MF Christensen but sometimes referred to as oxblood if a similar colour appears in other marbles.

I can answer this part. Akro's oxblood is the real deal. Akro is the one I've seen used as the standard for what is 'real' oxblood.

I believe there are marbles from multiple makers with 'real' oxblood though. This includes MFC's and handmades. And now Jabos :-)

And sometimes I think it occurs accidentally. Some people don't like to credit the accidental occurences as real oxblood. Others celebrate them.

And then with some makers, yes there are oxblood-like colors which are clearly not 'real' but which are sometimes called that maker's version of oxblood.

Very good on your group id,M!D$. I agree with all but maybe the last one lower right,may be Champion. These are difficult to do by pictures,due to the many different shades of green used,plus seperating the dark red from browns.