M F C: Show And Tell?

Steph

Bingo! Found the set Scott posted earlier. Three MFC's with a CAC in the middle. But if anyone one else has any to show off that would be great.

(click to enlarge)

Scott_mc13354_small.jpg

Thanks for posting, David, so it won't look quite so conspicuous when I post again. :rolleye-842:

More MFC's presumably (while I'm in the neighborhood):

(click to enlarge - might need to double click for full size)

earlyakrobox009a-1.jpg

Good info - MFC's in Akro boxes have been mentioned before - can't remember a picture before.

Al,

Here's another Akro box with MFC Persian turquoise. It's from Page 96 of Stan Block's "Marble Mania", 1st Edition, 1998 and probably in the 2nd Edition as well.

post-358-130524903044_thumb.jpg

Good info - MFC's in Akro boxes have been mentioned before - can't remember a picture before.

Al,

Here's a very early Akro Box, probably with MFC marbles, including Persian turquoise. George Sourlis thinks the box is circa 1914, one of the first from Clarksburg.

post-358-130524934112_thumb.jpg

Looking for a picture of a Persian Turquoise. Anyone have one to share?

... and any other MFC's would be nice to see if you're so disposed! :)

Steph,

Here's a box of No.1 MFC Persian Turquoise. I'm sure it has not been back filled.

Peculiar thing, only a couple marbles have easily discernible "nines". Almost all have a cut line though, easier felt than seen.

emailingmfcpersianturquoisebox001_jpgmfcpersiantur.zip

Steph,

Here's a box of No.1 MFC Persian Turquoise. I'm sure it has not been back filled.

Peculiar thing, only a couple marbles have easily discernible "nines". Almost all have a cut line though, easier felt than seen.

Unzipped ... don't know what to say ......

MFCPersianTurquoiseBox001.jpg

MFCPersianTurquoiseBox003.jpg

interesting to hear about the lack of 9's. That's going to raise the hope in the hearts of people with turquoise marbles. Funny, I don't think I've ever heard anyone hoping that they had an Oriental Jade. For some reason it's the Persian Turquoise people seem to want theirs to be.

Persion turquoise do have 9's. Remember they are HG so they have to have 9. They are very faint. Hansel? After the last Akro dig produced all those HG marbles it was called into question on who made them. Akro or MFC? You sent me an email of a pic of your Persion box and called into question if they might actually be Akro. Are you sure Akro didnt make those in the Akro boxes? Akro copied MFC manufacture. In the opaques they both used same glass. Same process. They are going to look the same. So those in the Akro boxes could vey well be Akro. Do you have any way to tell the difference? Truely?

Persion turquoise do have 9's. Remember they are HG so they have to have 9. They are very faint. Hansel? After the last Akro dig produced all those HG marbles it was called into question on who made them. Akro or MFC? You sent me an email of a pic of your Persion box and called into question if they might actually be Akro. Are you sure Akro didnt make those in the Akro boxes? Akro copied MFC manufacture. In the opaques they both used same glass. Same process. They are going to look the same. So those in the Akro boxes could vey well be Akro. Do you have any way to tell the difference? Truely?

Clyde,

They may all have nines. I just can't see them easily. Do all HG marbles have to have nines? I don't think Chris Robinson's "road and tunnel" slags did, but I'm not sure. Brian Graham, who's makes HG marbles and studied MFC marble fragments, would be the one to ask.

As far as the origin of the marbles in the early Akro boxes, when I sent you a pic of the Akro Universal Assortment (not MFC's Persian Turquoise) some 6 years ago, it was just after the Akro HG finds, and I was asking if you had any idea as to the date of that box. Since then, George Sourlis dated that box, as well as the tapered Akro boxes, to circa 1914. (Everyone collector should own a copy of his excellent poster on Akro Agate Boxes, 1911-1930)

So you are correct. Those may be Akro marbles in the Akro boxes. To properly answer your question, we should find out why George believes these boxes are from 1914, and if 1914 precedes the date Akro started making marbles.

Thanks for reminding me of my earlier doubts.

Although it doesn't necessarily provide definitive answers I thought I'd reference here George Sourlis's two articles at joemarbles.com titled "Akro's Earliest Box" and "Akro's First Four Small Display Boxes." David

yea love that article, especially where he gives the accolades to Hansel, for providing the pics,,, matter a fact i belive most books out there give him credit for the pics, Hansel is awesome, knows alot more than it would seam here.

but,, the only PT i have has a big ole chip off it but you can see the faint white 9 in the design, also in the jade mib i have,, the 9's look totally different,,, the PT is a tight 9 and the jade is more of a broad 9.,, bj

what size do these usually come in? 5/8, 3/4? or both...

I'm guessing that 5/8" was the more common size. But that's only a guess based on what I think I know about production from other companies. Anyone?

I find them amazingly bland and wonder how many of us have had them in with our game marbles. I also long wondered why they were misspelled in several marble books as "Persion". Who was the original book writer who goofed up? Sorry folks, ex-teachers never quit using the red pen.

I find them amazingly bland and wonder how many of us have had them in with our game marbles. I also long wondered why they were misspelled in several marble books as "Persion". Who was the original book writer who goofed up? Sorry folks, ex-teachers never quit using the red pen.

if you look at Hansels box its spelled persian, i see what your saying, bad bad spellers,, they need Monk to proof read, lol lol,,,

steph mine is 11/16 in,,,,,bj

mfc_dug.jpg

Nice!

Do all HG marbles have '9's?

Why no Persian Turquoise (PT) fragments?

I understand you've made PT glass from scratch, using MFC's original formula, of sand, soda ash and metallic oxides for color. Almost by accident wasn't it, when you were trying to make oxblood.

Speak to us, Oh Marble Guru, and throw us some cuppy cakes of your knowledge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guru

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cuppy%20cake

All of the marbles made at MFC were handgathered. Most do but many do not show a 9. Many more hand gathered marbles made at The Christensen Agate Company show no 9 at all and it seems they did not like the 9 at all on several handgathered types.