Sulphide Figure ?

Looks like it could be a pig's/boar's ear.

Could those be spots instead of spikes? . . . . . . from general preconceptions of the times and the basic shape of the aminal, I'd lean toward boar. but if those were spots my offbeat guess would be hyena.

I always called the figure Charles shows a Hedge Hog. A small creature covered all over with little points instead of quills. Not the same, but, kind of a European version of a Porcupine.

Mikes' is more typical of what I call a Razorback Hog. The raised ridge along the top of the spine is a good field mark.

Both are desirable sulphides. Thanks for sharing.

I'm Hip,

:Happy_457:

Lloyd

I've been looking at some 1800's sketches, to see what images artists might have associated with different animals back then.

Mike's is pretty dead on for a boar.

It seems like porcupines were thought to have bushy tops, hanging over their eyes even, not ridges so much. edit: not always bushy-headed lol

Charles' does look sorta like old depictions of a hedgehog, or some longish-legged, big-eared mold adapted to a hedgehog.

lol ... a political porcupine for fun

csl1918l.jpg

From my way-too-many years of experience as an art historian & art museum slave, I can say that this is a characteristic representation of a boar, pretty much anywhere and anytime you look -- ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, and all. So I'm with Steph and the other razorbacks.

Ann