Born On Date:june 26-09

duffy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Those are all fantastic! I had to look up burmese because I didn't know what it was. Of course, I just love oxblood. These experiments are truly coming up with some beauties. Keep'em coming guys!

Have a great day!

:-) Felicia

Thanks! we used our cullet from the studio I've been saving for about 4 years, it was basicaly clear based with just about every color etc. we have used in the last 4 years, melted together it made a light green transparent base with aventurine, mica and lutz floating at random, we used a few other ingredients to change the base as we went through the run, I have always loved the lemonade oxbloods so I waited till the colors were flowing right then I added the oxblood and burmese (with a secret ingredient). my guess is about 1000 of the lemon/ox's, then I went to blueberry lemonades and on and on. sizes for the run are mostly in the 9/19" range, many many 1/2 or less peewee's too, I like the smaller ones as they seem to be a cleaner marble with less problems.

As a run is going you can change the base color or blend something into the base, it's an interesting process, one that I have been dreaming about for about 10 years, the idea of running art glass cullet through the machine was my plan way back when I rebuilt the 1934 Vitro machine a decade ago, funny how things worked out, I got the last custom run (as far as Dave tells me) LOL, Jabo is closed as of yesterday, will they re-open? I don't know, the sale could go through in the next few weeks? it's all up in the air now, Bocci says "closed for the summer" so we'll see, all I know is, I got the last run in before the doors closed for any particular reason.

As for a name for the run..... thats just too hard to decide at this point, I do like Duffy's "born on" and I've allways wanted to call them "Killer Kullet".

I used a few different colors in the base, there is Fenton French opal, Fenton Lime opal and the Fenton Burmese, also some transparent red base as well as some blue base was used, I havent sorted them out yet but I have seen about 20 variations so far, I also made some ruby mica rods that we added through one of the feeders. I am letting a freind sell some on Ebay (rubyswirls) so go check her stuff.

I also plan on selling one hand picked box, yes a 25lb. box of hand picked marbles, no junk, no fractured marbles, I have a couple offers already and will accept offers until July 4th. on July 5th. I will sell to the high offer, it will be closed bid so nobody will know the other offers. you can make an offer via. e-mail or the messenger here. my e-mail as [email protected]

....Yeah, I had a great day running the machine with Scott and Ron.

The run was very successful with only a .6 % loss out of 750 pounds = 4.5 pounds loss, and most of that was because the one set of rollers was crunching the peewees. Most of the marbles are between 9/16 and 5/8. Mostly 9/16.

Thin lines of lutz, some with mica, a lot with aventurine, oxblood, blueblood, guinea look alikes on blue base and burmese base, lemonade ox, pinks/purples, most have depth that allows you to see deep into the marbles like the vintage ones.

Over all a great run, a super great day, great friends- good seeing Duffy pop in out of the blue.

My meager selection of marbles will make great gifts eventually. Have to get ready to fly back to Iraq- 5 more months to finish up on. Cheers to all.

Special thanks to Dave at Jabo.

Hi Ray, Nice to meet you and thank you for your service to this country.

Sounds like many great marbles and a great memory to take back with you.

I pray your trip goes quickly and that you come back safely.

I like that depth part..seeing into the marble, that's kewl...not to mention purple, pink and oxblood in these. Fantastic!

Have a great day!

:-) Felicia

Although most (but not all) of my marbles are antique or contempory ones, I've become enamored of the private runs at Jabo (and thanks to bemar a very very tiny contributor to the Ultra run), and I feel - - wierdly involved, somehow! For those of us less knowledgeable about the current status of Jabo (there was a mention of a potential sale of the company? the last custom run?) could someone give us a brief explanation of the situation?

Thanks,

Ann

Hi Ann,

The company is for sale.Thats a fact.There are all kinds of rumors flying around,so I dont realy want to add anymore to it.

I dont think anyone KNOWS,whats in jabo's future.We will all just have to wait and see.

Even the "first hand" information can change at any given moment,so what is true today,might not be tommorow.

Griff

Knowing Ray was home from Iraq I had to invite him to come play, Thanks Ray! I didn't tell anyone about the run until after it happened, it was a nice surprize to see Duffy pop in, I hope he got enough goodies, I feel lucky to finaly get the chance to do a custom run the way I wanted to do it a decade ago, they turned out great and I couldn't be happyer sharing the day with a good buddy making marbles without a bunch of mayhem going on, we were plenty busy, shame there wasn't an outside shower LOL, this run wasn't about money, it was about making marbles, alot of thought went into the process, I've been into marbles longer than most people know and being into glass as well has deepened my passion for "How did they do it", rebuilding the 1934 Vitro machine fueled that passion and I think we did a fine job making some sweet vintage style marbles, shame it took 10 years to get it done LOL, I thank Dave for the oportunity he provided and I wish him the best in his future, whatever that may hold.

Yes Griff, I was thinking about you when used the mica, it's not thick or overpowering, it's just there... LOL come get some!

Godspeed to Ray on a safe journey, he is my best friend and I hope he liked the surprize, it was definately history for us.

The offers on the box are a bargain, somebody is gonna be real happy, (do most people know how many marbles are in a 25 lb. box?) LOL and of course a few wont be so happy cause they lost out, only a few days left, Sunday morning I send an email to the high offer, nobody will know who got them other than me and the buyer, they can do as they please with the marbles, get rich, make kids smile, use them for slingshot fodder. I hope they enjoy them as much as we enjoyed making them.

As Griff said about the rumors, knowbody really knows, only the owners of Jabo can answer so we shouldn't add to the speculation.

Peace!

Happy 4th. to all, esp. our servicemembers who have put their lives in the hands of a few.

Last day to place an offer on the 25 pounder of select marbles.

Ya'll be safe and save a finger or two today, then again, a few beers and whats a finger anyway. LOL

Peace!

Griff....... I'm easy to find, a quick email will work.

Thanks BJ, I restored that machine all the way up to the cutting blade, green and yellow paint to match the original colors, we ended up hand gathering mibs on it at the one show way back when, there were some photos, not sure if anyone has any at this point, its been a long time.

Hey Brian, actualy you have 1 of 10, none of them were ever sold through block unless he bought a couple in the auction, I used a piece of silver oxblood to make the 10, I kept 5 and donated the rest to the auction at the show, you have one, Clyde Tuller has two, I don't remember what happened to the other two, maybe traded off, I don't remember selling them.

All I have left from that day is my Guinea/Cyclone/Cobra/Turkey I made trying to figure out how CA made them, Bill Tow named it a "Sguinea" (skinny) LOL, he made a heck of an offer for it but I refused to part with it, now that I am opening a studio I might consider letting it go, dang glass equip. is not getting cheaper, I placed an order for a furnace, 2 large kilns, a glory and a 18" diamond grinder. POOF.......... said the grant LOL

I'm thinking of starting a charity, the "be kind to scott" charity, send as many $100 bills as possible, LOL JK, I'm doing fine.

Peace! Scott

Scott you da' man....

So that makes my example a very rare marble. It's pretty cool looking and I thank you again for letting me have a piece of history. I need a COA to go with it - I have it now in a tiny ziplock bag along with a note saying when it was made, etc - what would the date have been? I have it with the blown Akro ox vase you gave me :-)

Glad to hear that your glass shop is coming together. I'm always looking for road trip excuses. The location you descibed sounds like a gold mine for a gallery.

My new 200 pound furnace is finally turned on and I have been blowing out of it for the last week. Maybe I'll go play with some hot glass later....lol