Marbles Of Many Colors Shoot-Out

Mike

Show me your best pictures of machine-made stuff and not Jabo! Read further. I have noticed that there seem to be folks who are not too big on Jabo, those who like them quite a bit and others that tolerate about anything on this board. It would seem and look like that some of the recent special-run Jabo production has a variety of colors, uses some exotic glass (ox, multi-colored adventurine and other stuff)and has sometimes shown intricate patterns including flames & sqiggly type effects. I also note that the Jabo marbles sell for mostly $1.00 - $10.00 unless it is really something new and unusual. I have seen many pictures of vintage marbles that are rare, unusual, have two or three-color combinations and may have ox or adventurine in them also. Most command many dollars but if you knew nothing about marbles who would come out on top in a showdown? I like the Akro sparklers as they are very colorful and somewhat affordable at the same time. Why don't some of you folks show your best examples/photos of vintage/old colorful marbles that make these upstart Jabo things take a back seat. Price and rarity will not be a consideration as we are just looking for color. Oh! If you Jabo lovers have a marble that you think kicks a vintage examples ass, you may post a picture as a reference and a challenge. Bring them on folks!

Can't say that I expect much on this post. I collect vintage and Jabo but with the exception of hybrid Popeyes, Master, Akro Sparklers, some Vitro and a few others, most all older are all mostly three color-marbles like Superman, Christmas Trees or maybe a four-color transitional and the like. I think the Christensen Exotics and Sand-layereds can compete. I heard Jabo was about to perfect a sissors adjustment on their machines to put a cutline on some of the new production that should give the Exotics a run for the money.

Actually the big top marble is a Slag and the others are known to most as Multi-colored swirls. And,

the "machine" patented by Miller is a set of rollers that made marbles round. it did not affect the design.

the miller "machine" rolled marbles 7/8" and bigger, and in addition to rounding early marbles, it was used recently to round the rootbeer floats and novas.

the "machines" that affected the patterns came from Sellers Peltier - they were feeders. one for "swirls" and one for "ribbons". they were patented a couple years apart - the swirl feeder was the earlier of the two, but i think the ribbon one was used more.

in making marbles, you need some way to feed glass, and some way to round them (rollers). you also have shears to cut the glass, and this can affect the pattern, but the rollers do not affect the pattern.

hence, you can not tell what machine made a marble "round" by looking at its pattern, and therefore, there's no such thing as a "miller swirl" in this context.

Did you ever take care of this? Leroy getting burnt

Actually the big top marble is a Slag and the others are known to most as Multi-colored swirls. And,

the "machine" patented by Miller is a set of rollers that made marbles round. it did not affect the design.

the miller "machine" rolled marbles 7/8" and bigger, and in addition to rounding early marbles, it was used recently to round the rootbeer floats and novas.

the "machines" that affected the patterns came from Sellers Peltier - they were feeders. one for "swirls" and one for "ribbons". they were patented a couple years apart - the swirl feeder was the earlier of the two, but i think the ribbon one was used more.

in making marbles, you need some way to feed glass, and some way to round them (rollers). you also have shears to cut the glass, and this can affect the pattern, but the rollers do not affect the pattern.

hence, you can not tell what machine made a marble "round" by looking at its pattern, and therefore, there's no such thing as a "miller swirl" in this context.

Did you ever take care of this? Leroy getting burnt

You are barking up the wrong tree asshole. I learned the trade from Leroy and have 4 polishers myself. For you to say I'm CAC MIKE is an insult. You make me sick! Lay off the wine freak!

Galan,

I sure appreciate your concern here, but a mistake in id has been made. Mike Rakes and his wife and daughter are three of the nicest people that I know. They would step up to the plate to help anyone needing help at any time. The person that I had problems with isn't Mike Rakes. That person has his own row to hoe and I wish him no harm. Again let me say that Mike Rakes isn't the person that I had issue with. They just recently lived here in York and Mike has been to my house several times. They have since moved to S.Dakota, but we visit from time to time on the phone. Later----Leroy----

• 1 month later...

Hey! One of the posts I read on this thread said that Jabo did not make black. I have very many different kinds of Jabo production from many different years including the special run marbles where there is plenty of BLACK with other colors. Show us your Jabo's with black.