New Marbles Listed As Vintage

So I turned on the computer this morning clicked on my Ebay bookmark Marbles>Vintage pre 1970- time ending soonest and 14 of the first 50 listings in the Vintage catagory were new marbles, jabo or polymer clay. It is irritating as all get out. Just wondering if this bothers anyone else as much as it bothers me.

I'm still new enough at this game that it intriques me to see how many new marbles are sold as vintage. In a way, it gives me hope that these newer lisings are distracting other buyers and maybe allowing for a few cherries to slip through. I use it as a learning tool and to help me verify that certain marbles are indeed easy to identify by pictures as newer ones. It seems that marble sales are on the upswing and I am surprised at how many of these vintage marbles are being bought. The downside for me is having to wade through all the auctions and it does get tiresome. I worry that I might miss something good because I nodded off from boredom.

nope dont bother me...i search marbles....i see some kewl knives that way ,too.......i list jabos when i put em on in the post 70 section...but when i list em i put marbles in my title so folks that search like i do can find em easily...is it really that big a deal???

Kinda like going to an antique store ans finding it full of reproductions. Not what I was looking for. I am sure the guy selling them is OK with it but a lot of folks that took their time to visit and are looking for antiques might be pissed.

Galen, I agree with you. Did you ever try to P upwind? You have about as much chance of keeping your shoes dry as thinking that Ebay or the sellers that list new marbles in the vintage category give a rats assssss about how you or I feel about it.

Bill

not much to complain about much lately ,huh galen....its a terrible thing ....i saw a 16 penny nail in my box of 8 pennys and i needed one more nail....i paid good money for that lb of nails and charged the homeowner but i went to my truck and found another one...a disaster...naw...just another plot to ruin my day..that argentine musta knew we americans are so spolied that little bumps in our routines are disasterious and could cause all kinds of uprisings...just keep scrollin till you find a gem ....it would be easier on ya, bub....a little ebay hint for you...you dont hafta click on every single auction..i might go seven or eight pages till i find something i wanna ck out closer...but thats just me...i haint never gonna plop down hundreds of dollars for a single marble...but thats just me...id stay out of antique stores too if i was you...theres lotsa junk in those places...

Duffy, As I have said before, My posts are not directed at you or about you. Why keep posting what you think I should or shouldn't post or how I should feel. And now your going to tell me how to view ebay listings or whether I should visit antique stores????? Why not just post that it doesn't bother you to find the Jabos listed as vintage?????????????? Or just ignore my posts if they are so ridiculous? Kind of like not having to click on every ebay auction(LOL) Can we just keep this to my original question??????????

And Bill I am sure you are 100% correct!!

It doesnt bother me.I see that kind of "overlap",all over the place.Antique shops,and shows,full of farts and crap,(arts and crafts)and new stuff.There is so much new stuff at the local fleamarkets,and I find it easy,just too walk right past it.New marbles listed as old,will never end.(intentional or not).

I dont mind the new marbles,posted in the vitage catagory,because of a sellers ignorance,but if its obvious,intentional deception,then the fires rage!

Even fishing has that problem.1st day of trout was today.Id prefer to catch some wild ones,as apposed to the mushy hatchery fish.

It was nice,today.I found a green,golden rule marble,in the box with the original papers,in a booth,right next to an orientals stand,with all that new stuff.

(dont want to mention the three sulphides,and a submarine type)

Oh crap,there I go,typing out loud!!---LOL

galen if im not wrong this is a discussion board and ive got a right to post anytime i want...you put your whinny crap on here---i disagree and i shouldnt say anything...are you bullying me??if you dont want my opinions keep yours to yourself...get over it...today just to piss you off ill list some new stuff in the old catagory...ohh the traversity...get real you dweeb...and dont tell me what to do ...

It honestly drives me crazy too. I have pretty much stop browsing ebay for marbles. No matter how I search, I have to wade through listing after listing, page after page, of Jabos. Not knocking Jabos, but I ain't interested and its frustrating to search through 200 pages of marbles for what should be 50 pages of vintage. If I want to just browse say Christensens, its not so bad; but trying to find a fun lot of something that might be overlooked by others is just too damn time consuming anymore.

I agree Galen! what you didn't mention is that it's the seller's responsibility to list their stuff in the correct catagory. That's ebay's rules not mine. In fact I was lamenting about the exact same thing yesterday. as you know, we have lots of contemp marbles (love them) and jabos too. but I am also sick to death of seeing new marbles under vintage. Maybe Ebay will start paying attention and pulling the auctions that are mis-catagorized. they can and will do it if they see it.

there is a place for these marbles... and it's not under 'vintage'. I understand why sellers list them under vintage, it's to simply get people to look at them and hopefully buy a couple, but that doesn't make it correct.

Hey, if I can have a listing for a piece of Lenox china pulled off of ebay for using the word "Ivory" in the auction, you guys should be able to launch a campaign of reporting that might just clear that out... At least for a while...

If 10 people reported every single violation for a solid week, would it make a difference??

The rules are there for your use... Give it a shot!! Being proactive beats out complaining any day!! Ebay seems to be more receptive to this sort of thing than they were a few years ago...

If you wanna get it started here, go for it!! If there are a few "Major Offenders" post a link to their auctions... If you set it up with a direction and some links for others to follow, you may be able to make a difference...

I don't do the marble search on ebay... But, if you post some links of auctions to report, or a link to a string of auctions to report, I'll find the time to do it for you...

i hear ya sue! I had a swirl pulled because i used a question mark as to maker in the title! now there's tons of marble listings with question marks in the titles since then. I figure someone had nothing better to do that gripe about my listing...(and yeah I'm pretty sure I know who it was). :wacko:

Not much of a thing to get all worked up over. I try to focus my search down to just what I collect. In machine made I only collect Peltier but when I filter my search for them there is all kinds of other crap in the listings and when I go to the handmade category it is common to see many machine made listed. I can speed scroll through them darn fast and just open the very few I am interested in. In fact I guess I get some sort of perverse pleasure out of not wasting my time opening listings that are not in the right category or especially ones with lousy pictures. Just out of spite I won't even look at a Peltier if it's in the handmade category. Take that you sellers that can't get them in the spot I think they should be in.

It does not bother me too much seeing bunch of new marbles listed under vintage category, but I would prefer them to be listed where they belong. If I want to buy some new marbles, I'll just go to modern category and do that. No magic there. The only reason I can think of why sellers listing new Jabos or any new marbles under vintage category is probably hoping some casual surfer to find a marble they like and buy. That may have a negative impact too though. How about contamporary collectors, that have a better chance to buy these, never see them since they are in the vintage category. My point is, if these marbles are listed where they belong, they ultimately may bring most of their value.

Sami

You can filter out the Jabo in your search. Here is an example of a search of mine:

marbles -radioactive -uranium -knife -figurine -ax -ladybug -figurines -turtles -mosaic -pokeman

Typically, I search all categories and then I will select individual categories (i.e. Antiques/collectibles/etc). However, you can search within the category first, of course. The categories are retained when you save.

Some of my best e-bay buys have been marbles in odd categories. Of course, there are sellers which put them in odd categories on purpose (IMHO). Of course, I still see a lot of listing which I just as soon not.

Let me know if you have any questions about refining your search even more.

Suzie

how do you omit something from an ebay search? I know how to include more than one word..... Example: (marble, marbles) Typed like that, it with bring up all listings with either word in it. Surely there is a way to omit Jabo from the search.

Well I looked at Ebay this evening,400 items,Pre-1970.Time ending soonest,

Maybe I was lucky,saw a few Jabo's ,listed as Jabo and some other new marbles(Tammy's vintage marbles)

Don't understand why but it does'nt bother me as long when the seller listed it as Jabo.

I don't like it when the seller says:Ï don't know nothing about marbles"and he lists the Jabo's in the vintage listing.

winnie