Some Old Some New

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boxes of flames, guineas, and cobras for one example. :wacko::blink:

Ooooops. Didn't know irony was frowned on here. Now that I think about it, though, I should have known it - - - David Chamberlain has complained about it before. Hi David! Just you and me now, pal . . .

Yes, I understood single vs. multi-stream about how Galen described it.

I thought part of Fiedler's genius was his skill in choosing glass which could melt together in that single receptacle but not blend. So that the colors would stay distinct when they came out the other end in the single stream.

Its actually sarcasm, and that's what causes all the riffs. It is all the little sarcastic digs that get under everyone's skin.

FWIW, I have both a vintage and new run collection. Only boxed sets of the new runs. I like the nice wooden boxes some of the sets are in. I don't have them on display, but I do own many sets. Bought mainly from folks I would consider friends.

As for flames CAC Alley and jabo use(d) single stream machines for flames as are the German wirepulls that flame. All single stream marbles. (ONE STREAM COMING OUT OF ONE FURNACE) Constantly saying that isn't so does not make it a fact. Separate streams need to come together outside different sources to make a multiple stream marble. If what you are saying(glass from different crucibles melted and meeting inside the same furnace are also multiple stream marbles then the only single stream marbles are What???? single colors. Crucibles in one furnace do not make for multiple stream marbles, plain and simple. Cateyes are a great example of multiple stream marbles

"Cateyes are a great example of multiple stream marbles" My point exactly.The delivery system at Marble King for color is internal and it is a multistream machine as you have just said. That is what I've been saying all along. You finally got it. This is all explained in the literature. Not all multistream machines are external feed. They can be either internal or externalfeed. The possible layout of internal feed systems seem to be nearly infinite.

Ann, If it's not irony it's satire or polysyllabic words or just plain properly structured sentences that get slammed as an affront to someone's sensibilities. Thankfully I haven't seen the latter for 2 or 3 days at least. I may just have to unload some big ones David

I got your back!

Did you teach me something??? What did I finally get?? you keep insinuating Jabos are multiple stream marbles, they aren't!! Many Masters, most Peltiers Most Marble Kings(esp veneered and patch ribbon patch types)Akro corks and sparklers. Cateyes etc. are all multiple stream marbles. Swirls such as Champion, Alley and Jabo and most that we call WV swirls are all single stream marbles. Always have been always will be. Thats it about that. If you want to think Jabos are multiple stream marbles go right ahead. I am done on that subject.

This thread began with some old and new mibs,well I played with some old and new ones,and I thought why me,it's not fair cause yiou folks could do it much better than I can.

Well at least i tried something other than, sorry, bla bla bla.

I think it's to easy for all you knowledge people to tell the vintage and the jabo's apart,but maybe newbies can do something with it.

winnie

DSC04238Medium.jpg

How about patch and ribbon mibs like Marble King? Single Stream?

By the way, if you you see a FANTASTIC MULTI COLORED MARBLE it is most likley a Jabo! For they are the most eye appealing marble candy on the planet!

THE BEST! So it should be easy to tell the difference between vintage & new. just one collectors take on this subject.

Bruce

Did you teach me something??? What did I finally get?? you keep insinuating Jabos are multiple stream marbles, they aren't!! Many Masters, most Peltiers Most Marble Kings(esp veneered and patch ribbon patch types)Akro corks and sparklers. Cateyes etc. are all multiple stream marbles. Swirls such as Champion, Alley and Jabo and most that we call WV swirls are all single stream marbles. Always have been always will be. Thats it about that. If you want to think Jabos are multiple stream marbles go right ahead. I am done on that subject.

Galen, please have an open mind on this matter. Remember how many times it has been discovered that the old books were incorrect? Steve would not say this without the evidence from the experts. You might learn something being polite about it. Ask him questions and listen.

I have many patents and drawings etc of multiple stream set ups. I have seen single stream setups in person. I do have an open mind. Jabos are single stream marbles. And the books also have some accurate information. The patch and ribbon of older MKs are multiple streams. I imagine the new ones are also. This is a general not a scientific description

Single stream marbles= all the glass is mixed(in one way or another) in one furnace and leaves that furnace as a single stream which is sheared to make a marble.

Multiple stream marble= Glass from separate furnaces(sources)leave these furnaces and by a multitude of methods outside of the furnaces are brought together to make the stream of glass that is then sheared to make individual marbles.

I know I said I was done but I hope this helps some that may be wondering the difference. Peace,Galen

Basic human instincts are at play here, and thank God for that! We (all of us) will never completely agree on anyone else's observations, accusations, opinions or statements. So what? Again, thank God for that! What I do is read it all, see if it affects me personally, (which could be a crap shot of emotions or actions) and decide how I feel about it. Most of the time, I let bygones be bygones. Does everyone here really want to think exactly like everyone here? Heck no! Nothing will be learned. Apathy will eventually reign, and there goes any reason for even collecting anything! At the end of the day, none of this affects the world, or for that matter, my life. But I do learn! I could hope that it would be a more user friendly format, but we are just humans..top of the food chain predators with big brains. That big brain allows us to appreciate beauty, and we all interpret it differently. Glass makes beautiful marbles....old marbles used beautiful glass. Glass still makes beautiful marbles...but old marbles have provenance, history, memories, value, intrinsic beauty...why else would we torture ourselves in trying to acquire them and defend them so aggressively? CAC's made some of the best marbles. Jabo MAKES some of the best marbles. It all is how you look at it and how you perceive any effect to your collection or ability to collect with the same amount of pleasure you did 10 years ago.

Some collectors instinctively perceive new marbles that are starting to look like old marbles as a threat...it is instinctive to react. It's biological. Some collectors instinctively perceive new marbles as the wave of the future and instinctively react. Once again, it's biological. Will this observation change how the issues are discussed on these boards? No. Humans have been haggling for thousands of years. It ain't gonna ever stop. What we can do is accept the fact that others will protect their views and beliefs just as vocally as the next person. There's nothing wrong with it, and even if there were, what are we going to do about it? That remains to be seen, because the answers are at our fingertips, and we all know what happens with a keyboard as an extension of our voices. I would bet that if most of our most vocal collectors were to meet each other face to face, they would try everything in there perspective powers to not embarass or insult each other. Who wants to get a fat lip over a marble? I think most members have figured this out---the keyboard makes a great shield and emboldens us. Some members have figured out that it is poor form to continue to use the keyboard as a shield. Some have never used it as a weapon, some take to it without a problem.

Just think on this: the chances are good that someday, each of us has the chance to personally run into one another, either by chance or design. What are we going to do, when at the next marble show, you see someone you have traded barbs with on these boards? Hide? Ignore them? Confront them? Doesn't sound like an ideal situation. And what about the marbles? Don't you see....it's all about the marbles! We all collect marbles! Each of us knows a little bit more than the other about some aspect of collecting marbles. I am a newbie who wants to learn, but when the topics get toxic, then I get anxious and go somewhere else. I like marbles. I don't like arguments or intolerence or ignorence. No one learns anything of value. Marbles are like circles. Circles meet each other. Arguments are like lines. Lines are ridgid, un-bending, heading in opposite directions. I like to think like a marble.

Funny thing is many of us have already met! I have some huge political religious and scientific arguments with family and friends. we end them with no hard feelings. We learn a lot. It is nice when it can work that way. We still love and like each other!!