Some Old Some New

It was suggested that some pics for comparison be posted. I have only kept the Jabos that were gifts so I can not do much to help out there, but I do have this pic of a equal mix of vintage marbles and new Jabos. I don't want to start an argument about whether Jabos will or are going to be confused for vintage mibs as I already know what I have seen happening. So to the tune of buyer beware, Check these bad boys out. Don't worry these stay here.

post-87-127112212085_thumb.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say from the lower right corner,to the upper left corner.

Kind of difficult with one photo,transparent based marbles,and a shaggy background.

Hey!---Thats just like EBAY!

How about a gray/neutral background,and maybe more than one picture,with the marbles rotated,(in the same position,in photo)

Could be edjimacachunel,if it aint a bag of tricks,,,,,

AFTER A SECOND LOOK-----The 2 on the right,the one in the middle,for vintge,and if there is a fourth,I cant tell from photo....

Editing by griff,without any retractions!---LOL

Well, I don't have the experience as so many long-timers do, but I'll play. On my tv screen, they all look pocked and either they are all Jabo's orrrrr the 3 on the left column plus bottom center one is Jabo and the others are just dinged.

:-) Felicia

David, you wrote the following.

Hi marbleus 1,

Your suggestion just made is excellent. This is basically what serious IDing is all about. From my own personal and somewhat extensive experience with Jabos I would be willing to guess that to a halfway trained eye it will be relatively few Jabo marbles that could properly be offered as truly problematic when compared to vintage marbles.

So everyone, please offer-up your Jabo marble that seems to be pissing you off so much and place it side-by-side with the vintage marble you believe it to be undermining.

This I gotta see! David (Please no photo touch-ups!)

Galen posted Jabo marbles side by side with vintage marbles. I will trust that he did not touch up the photos.

Even if what Galen posted were bupkis, you'll have a tough time justifying the sarcasm to most of us (imho). If you don't like the thread, you can move on. That is a common refrain in connection with Jabo threads. A commonly ignored refrain, but still good advice.

Well, ain't we just larnin' a lot here from our resident Jabo expert Galen. And his offering you consider a contribution to the education of marble people re. the subject of fraudulently manufactured Jabo marbles imitating vintage marbles? I don't think so. I'm still waiting for something of substance to pop up. Unfortunately I do not have any Jabo repros to contribute. David

Well, ain't we just larnin' a lot here from our resident Jabo expert Galen. And his offering you consider a contribution to the education of marble people re. the subject of fraudulently manufactured Jabo marbles imitating vintage marbles? I don't think so. I'm still waiting for something of substance to pop up. Unfortunately I do not have any Jabo repros to contribute. David

Good, then we won't be hearing any more from you on this subject I assume.

I know there may be one or two problems with getting folks to put up pics for comparison.

1. No matter what are posted some will say no resemblance and insult the person posting so why would they bother?

2. Most vintage collectors are not going to have Jabos to take pictures of.

3. Most of the jabo collecters don't have the vintage marbles to compare them to.

4. Some of the folks that have the best lookalike Jabos may not want to post them as it may lower their value for future sales.

5. It takes a lot of time to take good pics and post them just to have someone ridicule the pics or the posted comments. This is the main reason so many of the past board members have stopped posting!!!!!!!!

6. And how many collectors with 3/4" premium types to compare the Jabos to still even post?

7. How many 3/4" premium types are even still out there to compare the jabos with?

And to continually ridicule someone for their opinions is just plain rude. I constantly receive it from a couple of folks that just do not want to see or believe there may be problems if Jabo makes vintage looking mibs. And just to clarify things one last time for those that want to keep misreading and putting words in my mouth here is what I have stated.

1. I said some vintage lookalikes(as proved by certian ebay sales have been made by Jabo during the new runs(never said the ones already made were done to look vintage on purpose..

2. I also said I have noticed a lot less of the Aventurine lutz mica etc being used in the last few runs.

3. I said Dave and I talked a couple of times about how to get flames and a more vintage look.

4. I said I do not believe there is any reason for Jabo to purposefully make marbles that look vintage

5. I suggested keeping the above mentioned(1) glass types and using a large ammount of colors in the marbles would be a great way to keep them not looking Vintage.

6. I also said there was what appeared to me a trend towards more vintage looking marbles and I hoped it really was not happening.

Thats about it. If any of this is rude or disrespectful to anyone at all I apologize. I try not to behave that way. And I would like to add it is nice that they do keep most of the new marbles to 3/4", this does help lesson confusion a bit.

Often folks posted marbles at LOM wich are hard to IDed,whether it's an old WV swirl or a newer Jabo.

I'm not thinking of the special runs this time but the marbles made bofore the special runs.

Some swirls among them could easy be confused with ols VW swirls,thats good with me but also a little confusing,sorry no pictures.

winnie

I gotta believe even an expert may be fooled by a few of these in the future. 2 of the ones in the front are CAC for comparison. These really are not some that I would say are now be aware types. Maybe in the future. Sorry ahead of time if I did not take the pic in such a way to make everyone happy.

post-87-127119978842_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to put my 2 cents on this post. not trashing anybody. But Galen! #2 Vintage collectors not having Jabos to photo! #3 Jabo collectors not having vintage to compare with? Most of if not all Jabo investors/collectors that i know all have World Class Vintage Marble Collections and world class Jabo collections. They buy sell trade Vintage marbles and Jabo marbles. My point being what is the point of #1 and #2?

Marble On,

Bruce

Putting opinions aside, are we talking about rows left to right or columns up and down. I think it`s a good enough pic to make a point, could even be sheeps wool as a background. What`s all good and great is that people today can readily tell Jabo`s from (more vintage) marbles. But give it some time, and see where we are then.

Bruce, I just don't know too many folks with a lot of mint 3/4" vintage mibs or premium Oxbloods that have a bunch of jabos to compare them to. Not saying they are not out there. I Know Bill T has both but I don't know how many jabos he has to compare to his CACs. And the folks I know that have been involved with the Jabo runs don't have too many 3/4" CACs. At least I don't think so. Thats why I made that statement. I may be way off base but from the folks I know those are fairly good assumptions. That why 1&2. It would take one collecter to have a good ammount of mint 3/4 mibs of all types(New and old) to make comparisons. Heck the major player #1 in the new runs doesn't even collect marbles. Just don't think there are a lot out there with a lot of all the types. And even fewer that bother posting