What's Up With Lutz?

Chordus

I'm probably going to get myself shot for asking a question like this in a marble forum, but it's something that I've always wondered.

What's the reason behind the value of marbles with Lutz in them? I'm not referring to the old handmades– I realize that those are more valuable simply due to their rarity. What I want to know is why it's still popular in modern marbles. The new Jabo marbles also seem to like mixing Lutz glass in, and collectors seem to gravitate towards those. Aventurine is also valued highly, and I'm not sure why. Is the make of the glass somehow more expensive?

Lutz, in both hand made and machine made marbles, is expensive and therefore rare. The real reason people buy marbles is because they are pretty. Marbles are not an investment in the truest use of the word investment.

Lutz is considered pretty and rare; therefore in both new and old marbles it is enjoyed.

In machine made marbles, we only know of Alley and JABO as using lutz so it is extremely rare in machine made marbles.

The number of Alley marbles with gold lutz found so far is less than 30 in three different color combinations.

The number of JABOs using gold lutz is well under 40,000. To give you a sense of their rarity, I remind you that MFC made 48,000 lavender opaque game marbles. These are rare enough so most people can’t identify them even when in hand.

If you like machine made gold lutz marbles, don’t hesitate to buy them.

Somebody out there is sitting on about 10 alley or champion swirls with copper metallic striping that I sold 10 years ago when I first got on Ebay. I didn't collect them and of all the thousands of marbles I have sold are part of a very few that I wish I had never sold. I haven't seen them show up since and unfortunately I did not keep pictures of them.

Anybody got anything like that?

Don

I still believe the Alley marbles where a total accident where a contaminant of some sort made some crystals with the appearence of Lutz. And who says what is lutz goldstone or aventurine and what is the difference between the 3. Actually let me edit, the stuff on the Alley marbles really does not look like what is now being called Lutz at all IMO

I like the sparkles,,,I mean sprinkles.

Its all a matter of personal taste.When you get to the bottom line,of what is considered "value",everyones opinion of what is,or is not desirable,is the final say.Could be based on perception of rarity,pretty,or even ugly.Its not a set target,because everyone opinion is differant,or could be similar.

Im still not eating any hole,red raddishes!--LOL

(I do,once a year,just to make sure the taste buds didnt change)

Just to give a little differant perspective on rarity.

There are others that have applied "lutz"/goldstone,at jabo.

It is done by hand,usualy by 1 person.

Me,personaly,I like to keep it limited,when Im sprinkling.

I like to do enough,that everyone in the run is guaranteed to get some in thier boxes.

Those alley with "lutz" are all junk.If you send them all to me,Ill dispose of them properly for you!

Im also interested in meeting someone that will give me 2 $20's for a $10,and anyone interested in buying some swamp land,in the middle of the desert,,,,,,,,,,,

I would have to agree on the part about alley lutz being accidental.Based purely on assumption,and a little logic.

I wasnt there,and do not know of any documentation of alley proccesses or procedures.

I would think that coloring agents where a lot differant back then.As a guess,maybe it was a coloring agent that didnt completly "break down",and left crystaline particles remain.

It could be debris,but the alleys Ive seen with what I consider "lutz",involve a trasparent green.

If its gold and sparkly,I call it lutz.

Somebody out there is sitting on about 10 alley or champion swirls with copper metallic striping that I sold 10 years ago when I first got on Ebay. I didn't collect them and of all the thousands of marbles I have sold are part of a very few that I wish I had never sold. I haven't seen them show up since and unfortunately I did not keep pictures of them.

Don

I have one.

The person I bought mine from has sold at least one more (to I don't know who, I tried to get that one too). Don't know if he has any more -- this was a year or so ago.

IMO - the "Lutz" in machine mades is actually a chemical reaction in the glass, not a purposeful additive as had been suggested.

ETA: I am referring to VINTAGE machine mades. Humble pardon to my Jabo friends - whose talent in applying lutz is well-recognized.

IMO - the "Lutz" in machine mades is actually a chemical reaction in the glass, not a purposeful additive as had been suggested.

ETA: I am referring to VINTAGE machine mades. Humble pardon to my Jabo friends - whose talent in applying lutz is well-recognized.

Hot Rod, I will spare you the large font and accept your speedy retraction....

Don

Don is this what you are talking about?

post-294-128805411303_thumb.jpg

Don is this what you are talking about?

Those are the type of Alleys that usually show aventurine or lutz, or whatever. Nice!

The marble with "copper metallic striping" that I was referring to is basically a transparent, white, and amber swirl with a few irregular, thin "wires" of copper threading across the surface.

What did yours look like, Don?