Chevron Handmade Marble

bigjohn691500

Thanks, got these in the mix as well, that small razor is the closest i will probably get to the big money one, to bad its got a dull surface and a tick on it, I normally dont go after hand mades but its been so dry around here for quite a while i felt the need for a fix,,,bj

post-127-129976884117_thumb.jpg

can't be a 2 pontil handmade cane cut slag - those don't exist.

before this gets into a pissing match and out of control, let me tell you about this mib,, ive been looking at it since wed when i got it,, ive seen my share of cane cut slags in my life but this mib has a controled pattern, it has a design of an Indian mib coming off the pontil but then it zips back againt the grain on both sides of the main bands going from pole to pole this isnt a random pattern this is very controled,, the main band goes from pole to pole but it looks like they cordened off a few white bands and totally reversed spin which you would think was totally impossible giving it the feathers on both sides of the bands, if you could only see it in hand, im still scratching my head wonder how they did it, its just awesome, the zip backwards gives a Peltier feather slag look, this was made by a true craftman,, you guys call it what you want but right now its sitting on my desk,,, i just want someone reading this that has an example of a Chevron marble to POST IT UP, i would love to see it for comparison, they are beginning to fascinate me,,reading the description in Baumann's book i can only agree with the author,,,, bj

handmade, 2 pontils would indicate to me there was some sort of cane involved in the construction. Here`s a pic from another post. Unique patterns but similar in a way (i don`t think you`re going to find two alike even from the same cane). What are you planning to do with it? hope this info helps

102_3008-3.jpg

Definetly a cane cut mib, the one i have is 7/8 in. maybe its just the size thats the reason for the pattern, IDK, i'de like to see a show of hands, how many collectors out there have ever heard of a Chevron marble raise your hand, i didnt,and if you never heard of them how many got mis identified as being a cane cut slag? after i got in i read about them in Baumann's newest book on mibs 4th edition( i love this book BTW, the Christensen exotic's on the cover are very very cool ) so i aint no expert, what am i going to do with it?,, hmmmmm, probably enjoy for a little bit, i havent got any offers to tempt me into selling it yet just a few PM's asking me if i was going to sell it, these questions leave me wondering what to ask for it so if you didnt get a response from me thats why, i dont have a hand made collection for this to fit in but like i said its just a facinating mib to say the least,,, bj

I have seen a fair amount of these types, HTF for sure. (often now called cane cut slags). Killer group That1! Hadn't heard the Chevron name recently used for them. The marble type I have most often heard the Chevron name used is an opaque(usually white and clambroth like with the chevron pattern eminating from one pole. Looked for pics and found some of the small cane types and could not find any of the large handmade type with chevron pattern only coming up partway from one pole. Although the solid white id closer. I can see why some would call the cane cut slags chevrons although the name best fits the larger types that I can not find a pic of. You have one Steph? There have been several discussions on several boards about cane cut slags and looking back it is synonymous with the chevron slag types. And just being collectors names they do not mean a whole lot as these types stand on there own without any name!!

post-87-130003646058_thumb.jpg

post-87-130003646992_thumb.jpg

post-87-130003648793_thumb.jpg

wouldnt the clambroth type be considered to fit in with the lightning strike mibs catagory, idk, maybe Baumann's is off on his descriptions, i dk know the guy or his reputation, he just has some great references in his book it would be hard for me to say he's that far off the mark on this type,what the book doesnt have is a cane cut slag section to compare it with,, very tough mib to talk about,, bj

you must have added the pics after i read it,, yea Baumann's way off on this type in his book then, he says the chevron is on an opaque or clear base, nothing about milky opaque like the clambroths.

A lot of info in the books (names, price, sometimes even mfg) is open to discussion. It looks like a cane cut slag with a "chevron" type pattern to me. If I recall the opaque ones can sometimes have a ground pontil but most of the slag types (ie transparent colored glass with random opaque white pattern) have rougher pontils and somewhat out of round. That's just based on what I've seen and I haven't seen them all.

BJ, what color if you back light it? I'm looking hard for a blue one if it exists

Also, a similar patter is sometimes seen on the smaller handmade striped opaques with opaque blue, opaque green base etc. The pattern in multiple colors you sometimes get on a striped opaque with this type of pattern is super cool.

The construction/technique on these you don't see on any other types of handmade marbles like lats, cores etc. although all the latter are cane cut as well.

its definetly opaque, no color when light is shined at the back,, it DOES have one partial ground pontil,, the color is kind of weird , one side is pure black and on the other side where the white dives into the inner matrix it has a brownish almost dark olive green that begins to cover the white band look to it,,, it is a consistant 7/8 in all around,,bj

also the group they sold off there was a couple of striped opaques i only got the green one seen in the pic above, there was a white opaque one that ide swear had an oxblood band going from pole to pole, i missed that one because they put it together with the lutz mib they sold,,

Collectors I believe started calling these cane cut or handmade slags because for no better term they have same basic 2 colors like machinemade slags. Whether it be on an opaque base like the lightning strikes the manner of construction remains the same. Some exhibit the beautiful "butterfly" wings on one pole. These are in Illhavethat pics. Some do not but show the zig zag pattern. I have an 11/16 amethyst one that has been one of my fav handmades since I got it 8 yrs ago. I was struck immediately by the cold rolls and how they follow the pattern. I love the feel of the marble in my hands. If there was ever a blind person's marble this is it. John's also exhibits these also.

most excellent marble there bj. very hard to find in that size and without the as-made pitting found in most of this type of marble. here is a similar one, no where near the design as yours, and is 23/32".

slag1.jpg

thanks.

i'de like to see a show of hands, how many collectors out there have ever heard of a Chevron marble raise your hand

Only in Baumann's book. I have the impression that chevrons and the cane-cut slags are one and the same. Whatever, I'd love one. Lucky you!

I'd like our current glass artists to try to replicate those.

... just to figure out how it could have been done .....

But then that would mess with the market. So maybe it's best for it to remain a mystery. :)