Vitro Agate From The Wv Show

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

possiblymarbleking1bbest.jpg

I got these from Danny Grocki. They are possibly Marble King. They have seams and they are loaded with aventurine. If they are MK, I don't know if they are old or new, but they were pretty so I bought them. I'm going to post them on Beri Fox's page and ask her.

I had thought these marbles were either Marble King or that they were Master sunburts. The seams were not correct for sunbursts, so I posted them as possibly Marble King. Beri Fox has confirmed that. I am still curious about their age and await her answer.

green2Cblack2Clavender2Csilver1a.jpg

I bought so many of these Vitro Agates that I won't bore you with all of them, but some of them, especially the ones from Grocki are somewhat exceptional. This one is green, black, and lavender, and silver on the backside.

green2Cblack.lavender2Csilverbest1c.jpg

This is the backside of the green, black, and lavender. The band that appears in my pic to be white scratches is actually silver metalic. Seems Louis Moore was experimenting just like David McCullough. David says everything old is new again. We know Lawrence Alley was experimenting and now here is some proof that Louis Moore was too.

pinkstigereyesandtrilites.jpg

Pink was rare in any companies vintage marbles. Danny Grocki had quite a few with pink and i picked them and here are a few. Some are tigereyes, some are trilites. I heard someone at the WV show say that the workers at Vitro Agate never knew what to expect because Louis Moore didn't like to make the same marble twice and was constantly changing them. Every day working there was a new day.

The black marks you see in some of my pics were my attempt to remove marked prices on the marbles by giving them a "spit bath" instead of taking time to go to the bathroom and find a bottle of alcohol to remove the ink.

strangewhities.jpg

I found some strange "whities". Sometime back, I posted a white on white "whitie". I found another one Friday. In hand it looks an ivory white, but in my pic it's a little pinky looking. The other one seems to be a pair of red ribbons overlaid on green ribbons. I've never seen one like that.

Nice to see you again Edna. Good to know you are back home ok. So glad you could come to the show. Wish i could have had more time with you,for some general chit,chat. The next show,this weekend in Maine.

tigereyepink1a.jpg

This one is a tigereye with that pinky red glass they used on sweet peas. My flash washed out the green ribbon and it appears to be blue. It is definitely green. The other equatorial ribbon is brown. Other than the color of the eye, the other unusual thing is a turquoise ribbon at the other "eye" of the marble.

unusualtrilite1b.jpg

I saved the best for the last marble. On the backside of this unusual trilite is a ribbon of BLUE AVENTURINE. Couldn't believe my eyes. I showed it to Dave McCullough and he made the remark about Louis Moore experimenting. There must be more than one out there and it looks pretty deliberate, not accidental to me. The blue aventurine is a wide strip and aventurine is throughout that ribbon.

Again, the black specks on the white glass are my "spit bath" attempts that didn't get the ink all off.

unusualtrilite1b.jpg

I saved the best for the last marble. On the backside of this unusual trilite is a ribbon of BLUE AVENTURINE. Couldn't believe my eyes. I showed it to Dave McCullough and he made the remark about Louis Moore experimenting. There must be more than one out there and it looks pretty deliberate, not accidental to me. The blue aventurine is a wide strip and aventurine is throughout that ribbon.

Again, the black specks on the white glass are my "spit bath" attempts that didn't get the ink all off.

Very nice!

andydaviswvmarbles.jpg

From here on there are no vitro agates. This is a marble stand and large marble made by Andy Davis out of West Virginia Marble Show marbles cullet. There are places around the base to display the show marbles.