Examples Of Exotics?

Steph

"The best eyes" just happen to belong to 3 or 4 people that benefited the most from selling these marbles to the tune of 10's of thousands of dollars. I say follow the money for the true answer to this debate. It always comes down to that in the end.

I say, "hooey"! See pics in my post, above-those are the marbles in question. Not CACs? They are to all the tip-top authorities. What have you got? Unsubstantiated accusations - no not even accusations - that would take more guts - "I say follow the money for the true answer to this debate. It always comes down to that in the end.", what is that? Indirect, slithery innuendo casting a funky light in the general direction of those you envy? Pitiful! Get a life, then keep it to yourself!

My CAC exotics. Not exotics? Fine. Call 'em whatever you want - everyone else will probably be calling em whatever you think they should be called - eventually, for a while, at least. They're still CACs and God ain't makin' any more of 'em.

post-3033-0-13891300-1314149560_thumb.jp

OOPS lower left is just this cool brick with purple and top row whatever from left (about middle) is just a purple slag or transparent swirl (in case Steph sees this) maybe not even CAC - how'd they get in the shot?

Edited by honeybern

I love it!!! All the proof I need!

He thinks the civil war marbles are real.

So, I thought the tooth fairy was real 6 years ago whats your point?

It's on the top of your head!

All the serious CAC collectors I know (3 or 4) are convinced and willing to pay way more than me, at this point.

Is it 3 or 4?

< 6

correct!

Under big big magnification, the structure of the exotic is indistinguishable from any other, universally-accepted-to-be-genuine CAC.

WHAT?

Under big big magnification, the structure of the exotic is indistinguishable from any other, universally-accepted-to-be-genuine CAC. Do you hear me now?

Oh, I heard you the first time. Just was wondering how big big I need? Indistinguishable from any other what?

I think the labor involved in faking one would be so great, any marble maker would be better off to make what he usually makes which may sell for less but wouldn't have to pass a barrage of scrutiny/sweat the pressure of having to pass off the "fake" once finished.

It's not about work........

Yes! It isn't! It's about whether or not anyone can fake a CAC and, so far, I haven't seen any succeed, including Shamrock.

I've read all these posts by naysayers that have all these reasons the CACs aren't genuine except not ONE has posted the words that can be regarded as anything other than hot air: That they know for a fact that X marble is a fake, they have proof and here it is.

That's why we are here1

Because the sellers that salt a few WV Swirls and white based Corks into their, otherwise, totally worthless lots of Peltier rainbos and baseballs, un-noteworthy catseyes new All Reds and a few Vacors don't need to invest in an exotic to sucker buyers into bidding up their listings.

His point was that no exotics have been offered in lots........ah heck...you know what he meant!

Yeah, I read at college reading level, thanks: I explained his point - WHY exotics have not been offered in lots........ah heck......you didn't know what I meant.

Ah heck, no I don't!

And whats all this about this dig in 2000 as the Genesis of exotics? They're just striped opaques, striped transparents and submarines (maybe guineas, too). Where's the mystery or controversy?

2000 dig? Who said anything about a 2000 dig? Color combo ....pattern... quantity ..no cullet backing...quality...sneaky deals....and so on.

In this very thread. I don't remember "who", but it's here - Go find it yourself! I already read everything in this discussion before I shot off my big mouth and started bagging on other people's posts. Oh yeah, I haven't bagged on anyone's post, have I? Never mind!

No, you find it......."2000 dig" are your words.

pics

One is a flame and the only one close to an exotic is in the 1st pic upper right. If it contains the odd color mix of mauve, light green, baby blue etc it would be. I can't tell. But, interesting in that, it would be the earliest sighting(for me) of an exotic.

You're right about the flame, second pic, second row from bottom - my bad. The pics on the color plates in Bauman's 3rd, especially the CACs, are miniscule, the largest, actual size image on either page of CACs measures less than 5/8" (15mm) across with some as small as 3/8" (10mm). Nonetheless, top left is a striped opaque as are the two below it, 3rd down, far right is a transparent stripe as are the two above it. In the second group, lower left is a striped opaque with mauve, light green, white, yellow, black and hot pink on a baby blue base, although I haven't heard the "mauve, light green, baby blue, etc..." criteria before and question the validity of such parameters. The only criteria I know of for "exotics" is that there isn't another CAC category they fit because there's too much going on.

What's going on...everything is everything

several of which are the same, exact, CAC's I've seen and bid on(and won a few) on eBay, consistently offered at a rate of one to three, or so, a week there. Marblealan sells them on consignment pretty regularly since May that I know of - usually one or two each week but I haven't seen him use "exotic" in his listings descriptions and why would he? They seem to sell fine without the controversial moniker

Using "exotic" would not enhance a listing or marblealan would surely use it! Lots of hurt feelings under this cloud. I sent pics of mine to marblealan to get his opinion on the current market. He replied......At this time, I'm not selling any contemporaries. After a frantic reply, he said he made a mistake and sold them.lol

Sent him pics of your what?

Thought you read at a collage level........my exotics...see page one.

Even I admitted to making a mistake, so why shouldn't marblealan be allowed to make one?

I thought it was funny, thus the lol.

Again, what's your point? And if he sold them, who's feelings got hurt?

Them, them what? Who said anything about hurt feelings?

What about the ignored stuff .........Are the Art's marble people? Why sell to the Art's? Is the story the same for Ken and the others? Ken writes in an old thread how Bill T has one of the trusted eyes, thinks they are real and was in it early. Read Bill's posts! What do you think of VT's Thelma marble? mon

Re: "The ignored stuff: show me anything proving that the marbles in question aren't CACs. The only evidence I've ever seen, and keep seeing, confirms that they are CAC's. I have posted evidence in my previous post dispelling the post 2000 dig emergence of these marbles. Who are Art's marble people? Who's Ken and Bill and VT's Thelma and where are their pics? Maybe ask them to post here. In the meantime,I'll post the other CAC color plate from Baumann's with more exotics (published in Sept, 1999) listed under "diaper folds" and "slags and swirls":

That's why we are trying to find one true story! I'm not a naysayer or a yaysayer...just someone who loved and hated them. One who owned them before the big questions and thought .....this will be explained in a heart beat. But no, the people at the top just avoided the questions and from my seat, looked like they didn't care. I'm not sure how long you have been reading these boards but, this has been a can of bloody worms opened many times in the past. I was so let down from a hobby I thought was a bunch of old hippies having fun that, I didn't pick up a marble or read the boards for years. Boo Whoo, I didn't start posting to start a fight. Thought maybe enough time had past and some people would start to talk....wrong again. mon

; =O)

Thought maybe enough time had past and some people would start to talk....wrong again. mon

; =O)

It was a pretty good thread for long while there. I learned way more than I knew before. I'll slide my thanks in now in case things go permanently north.

lol ... I just remembered I started the thread. I'm so noncommittal about the subject that I was reading the thread like a complete bystander ... which is still essentially what I am. So eneeway ... thanks again everyone! It's been fun!

All the serious CAC collectors I know (3 or 4) are convinced and willing to pay way more than me, at this point.

Is it 3 or 4?

< 6

correct!

Under big big magnification, the structure of the exotic is indistinguishable from any other, universally-accepted-to-be-genuine CAC.

WHAT?

Under big big magnification, the structure of the exotic is indistinguishable from any other, universally-accepted-to-be-genuine CAC. Do you hear me now?

Oh, I heard you the first time. Just was wondering how big big I need? Indistinguishable from any other what?

universally-accepted-to-be-genuine CAC do you hear me now? or are you just stupid as well as deaf?

I think the labor involved in faking one would be so great, any marble maker would be better off to make what he usually makes which may sell for less but wouldn't have to pass a barrage of scrutiny/sweat the pressure of having to pass off the "fake" once finished.

Yes! It isn't! It's about whether or not anyone can fake a CAC and, so far, I haven't seen any succeed, including Shamrock.

I've read all these posts by naysayers that have all these reasons the CACs aren't genuine except not ONE has posted the words that can be regarded as anything other than hot air: That they know for a fact that X marble is a fake, they have proof and here it is.

That's why we are here1

Because the sellers that salt a few WV Swirls and white based Corks into their, otherwise, totally worthless lots of Peltier rainbos and baseballs, un-noteworthy catseyes new All Reds and a few Vacors don't need to invest in an exotic to sucker buyers into bidding up their listings.

His point was that no exotics have been offered in lots........ah heck...you know what he meant!

Yeah, I read at college reading level, thanks: I explained his point - WHY exotics have not been offered in lots........ah heck......you didn't know what I meant.

Ah heck, no I don't!

And whats all this about this dig in 2000 as the Genesis of exotics? They're just striped opaques, striped transparents and submarines (maybe guineas, too). Where's the mystery or controversy?

2000 dig? Who said anything about a 2000 dig? Color combo ....pattern... quantity ..no cullet backing...quality...sneaky deals....and so on.

In this very thread. I don't remember "who", but it's here - Go find it yourself! I already read everything in this discussion before I shot off my big mouth and started bagging on other people's posts. Oh yeah, I haven't bagged on anyone's post, have I? Never mind!

no, previous posters words in the previous post between 1 and this one - I already found it - so has probably 18 out of 19 of the other perople reading this - so, regardess of how clever your wordsmithing, we all know it was said without the necessity of me having to bring you up to speed on what's already been said

pics

One is a flame and the only one close to an exotic is in the 1st pic upper right. If it contains the odd color mix of mauve, light green, baby blue etc it would be. I can't tell. But, interesting in that, it would be the earliest sighting(for me) of an exotic.

You're right about the flame, second pic, second row from bottom - my bad. The pics on the color plates in Bauman's 3rd, especially the CACs, are miniscule, the largest, actual size image on either page of CACs measures less than 5/8" (15mm) across with some as small as 3/8" (10mm). Nonetheless, top left is a striped opaque as are the two below it, 3rd down, far right is a transparent stripe as are the two above it. In the second group, lower left is a striped opaque with mauve, light green, white, yellow, black and hot pink on a baby blue base, although I haven't heard the "mauve, light green, baby blue, etc..." criteria before and question the validity of such parameters. The only criteria I know of for "exotics" is that there isn't another CAC category they fit because there's too much going on.

several of which are the same, exact, CAC's I've seen and bid on(and won a few) on eBay, consistently offered at a rate of one to three, or so, a week there. Marblealan sells them on consignment pretty regularly since May that I know of - usually one or two each week but I haven't seen him use "exotic" in his listings descriptions and why would he? They seem to sell fine without the controversial moniker

Using "exotic" would not enhance a listing or marblealan would surely use it! Lots of hurt feelings under this cloud. I sent pics of mine to marblealan to get his opinion on the current market. He replied......At this time, I'm not selling any contemporaries. After a frantic reply, he said he made a mistake and sold them.lol

Even I admitted to making a mistake, so why shouldn't marblealan be allowed to make one?

Your marbles, that, them! Do you look senile, too? OOPS sorry, grams says "foul" I take it back.

What about the ignored stuff .........Are the Art's marble people? Why sell to the Art's? Is the story the same for Ken and the others? Ken writes in an old thread how Bill T has one of the trusted eyes, thinks they are real and was in it early. Read Bill's posts! What do you think of VT's Thelma marble? mon

Re: "The ignored stuff: show me anything proving that the marbles in question aren't CACs. The only evidence I've ever seen, and keep seeing, confirms that they are CAC's. I have posted evidence in my previous post dispelling the post 2000 dig emergence of these marbles. Who are Art's marble people? Who's Ken and Bill and VT's Thelma and where are their pics? Maybe ask them to post here. In the meantime,I'll post the other CAC color plate from Baumann's with more exotics (published in Sept, 1999) listed under "diaper folds" and "slags and swirls":

That's why we are trying to find one true story! I'm not a naysayer or a yaysayer...just someone who loved and hated them. One who owned them before the big questions and thought .....this will be explained in a heart beat. But no, the people at the top just avoided the questions and from my seat, looked like they didn't care. I'm not sure how long you have been reading these boards but, this has been a can of bloody worms opened many times in the past. I was so let down from a hobby I thought was a bunch of old hippies having fun that, I didn't pick up a marble or read the boards for years. Boo Whoo, I didn't start posting to start a fight. Thought maybe enough time had past and some people would start to talk....wrong again. mon

; =O)

Is it 3 or 4?

< 6

correct!

WHAT?

That's why we are here1

Ah heck, no I don't!

pics

; =O)

Big man - (o so sorry, big MON) picking on a 12 yr old! WTG tough guy! - Jon

That's what bullies do I guess, go for the littlest since anything more would just chop down whatever atoms of self esteem they're still desperately, clinging to. - Honeybern

Both! We're double-teaming the forum - I'm (Jon) at the kb, grams in her shiney, new, Monarch Royal

, right behind me, over my shoulder. Why do you ask, pray tell?

I just like to know. It's hard to tell, so I asked.

1st, mike offered to send you a pic and I said ok only out of kindness to mike.

2nd, if you have a fosho trait, that would the first question IMO to ask back.....like hey, is this a corkscrew....well. is it green?

RE: what marbles did you have concerns over and why? They are the same marbles. please don't ignore.

How do we go from asking the frontline players to, I was told that it's alien poop?

Kokoken and Bill T have some questions that they have yet to answer, why? Kokoken also posted in an old thread, stating concern with sham-rock marbles and marking them. If they are so detectable, why? If Bill T. has one of the trusted eyes, what does he think construction & color wise? Did that play a part in him not buying? Do any owners of sham-rock's have the ground breakin "s" pattern?

Taking them home a few at a time.....why no flames?

If it was an employee:

How old is he/she?

Who's going to charge them with theft ?

How can they prove theft?

If it was tax reasons, why take checks or give your name?

If you would like these ? answered, have the nads to ask!

mon

Just kidding about the "12 yr old" thing. I mean I am only 12 but I don't have to hide behind that just to spar with you.

Shamrocks can't fool anyone not because of palate, though they haven't matched, and I think it's on purpose, CACs. And it's not about pattern. It's the combination of seams and surface. Under a 10X loupe - Shamrock's not even in the same hemisphere seam-wise. Under a 30x loupe the difference in surfaces is literally night and day. In fact, IMO, not even close with the naked eye. So as far as myself and the < 6 CAC collectors I know (they live under my bed where they also collect dust motes), Shamrock is a non-issue.

Re: employees taking marbles home: WHAT???

I just like to know. It's hard to tell, so I asked.

LOL! It's hard to tell cuz its always like that! (this) I'm (Jon) not allowed to post unless grams is right on it. Except this post and one's like it cuz it doesn't express an opinion which is the only kind of post I'm allowed when grams is snoring like now.

Sorry steph for aiding the implosion of your thread! Sorry to the 12 year old for things that I may have posted that hurt you! You have some great looking marbles and are very smart for your age. bay

You don't have to apologize & the 12 yr old thing was a low blow - I mean I am only 12 but, after all, I will be attending Harvard Law School! I tried to tell grams but she's big on kicking them when they're down. Go figure.

Back on topic: I have never seen a marble machine other than drawings on file at the patent office and some Jabo machines running in a dark YouTube video but I know chaos theory and for anyone to be able to duplicate all the factors that total any CAC with more than 2 colors amid all the chaos that's going on in the machine, anyone trying would stand a better chance of being hit by lightning, three times, than pulling this off. I believe that anyone who owns marble making machinery knows this and that is why they are too busy making marbles to fool with anything like counterfeiting another maker's stuff. The investment in time and material would be huge just to try with no idea of when, if ever, they'd succeed - is this really a serious topic??? Not IMO it isn't.

Mon, too bad you did not like what I posted. Just giving my opinion. Not trying to piss you off. Seems we don't think alike. Its OK, really. After all they are just little glass balls aren't they? And Clyde I bet those crazy 2 seam German marbles you have do not have the S or drastic looping on one side between the seams that is a CAC trait. I have never seen a German type that does.

Smart kid, but needs to respect people/elders that have been in this hobby WAY before you were born. Learn by talking to them. Go to shows. Books will get only about 25% of edjucation. Dont put them down unless you know why they made the comment.

Ask people to get a life because of envy? Do you know who Craig is? If you dont know that person you should ask someone maybe before you cut them down. And in a prev post you talked about a seller screwing a 12 yr old and a granny. Very nice mibs for a 12 yr old milk money and a granny! Craig was correct about following the money. It still goes back to the Arts and Thelma. They aint gonna talk. So, even after 10+ yrs we wont get a true answer.

I have about 25 so called exotics. When all this hit the fan and prices dropped, people saying fake, etc. I havent gotten one in about 7 yrs. Will I ever buy one again? Who knows? Will I sell them? Not likely. Do I belive they real? On the fence until have more evidence than heresay. Why do people who say they're fake and say they know who made them wont talk. There were death threats made to people during that time. There were 10's of k's $$$$ changing hands. What have I been concentrating on all this time? Ask around Jon.

Mon? When you were talking to Cambridge, did you ask the about when they redid the concrete for the city garage? That's when it was suppossed to have been done.

On your pic Mon I could see where some might be suspect and need in hand. Unless you show more sides. Some you just haveta to see in hand. Its great that you would sacrifice one to be tested. Does anybody know a lab that can do this?

Secret things? Only selling to certain dealers? That goes on today. Many marbles never reach the public market. A big stash found? Need quick turn over? Dealers know who will buy right now. Thanks Steph for this thread. Thanks Mon for doing some digging info that other people might not do.

A lawyer from Harvard? Big deal. Who are you trying to impress? You have a lot to learn. Doesnt matter where you go. You just better be at top of your class in these times. We have in this hobbies all kinds of people, teachers, contractors, customer service, engineers, doctors etc, etc, I have met a lot of people in 12 yrs. We have one thing in common. Those little glass balls. At shows we put aside who we are and appreciate the hobby.

Sorry to get off topic. The honey berned a little.

djMedium.jpg

Mon, too bad you did not like what I posted. Just giving my opinion. Not trying to piss you off. Seems we don't think alike. Its OK, really. After all they are just little glass balls aren't they? And Clyde I bet those crazy 2 seam German marbles you have do not have the S or drastic looping on one side between the seams that is a CAC trait. I have never seen a German type that does.

Something like this?

winnie

djMedium.jpg

Something like this?

winnie

No Winnie, altough there is an S looking thingy there on your mibs, Galen specified that it had to start at one side of the first seam and then make it around to the opposite side of the second seam. Those you show resemble more or less what a Vitro might look like to form a V pattern.

The middle, top row marble has a band of glass to the right of the clear center band that looks to do the "s" properly to the seams. It might on the others(esp. top left marble) but would need better pics of the seams.

Galen, it's fine...it just struck a nerve as I've had multiple questions from the get that have been, and still are, ignored

Clyde, you have posted some very good & candid info! I was not expecting post #166 from you. thanks

Also, speed racer!

Spara, your right and will you share any ideas as how to follow the money? mon

dkMedium.jpg Roger I don't know what you mean with Vitro.

I've a lot of 2 seam German marbles and some of them have the s shape,on one side between the seams,as Galen pointed out.

May be it would have been better if i told it earlier to Galen,but he want to bet and i couldn't resist.

The fact that they're made in Germany has nothing to do with this topic.

I can only say i hope Mon get the answers he is waiting for.

Here are some with a view of both the seams.

What the heck is that pic- Marboman,don't like it.

winnie