1" Akro Sparkler Shooters

Last pix - I can't remember what State I was in, maybe it was Door County Wisconsin in a huge antique barn. The owner had only his stuff inside it - it was about 30,000 sq. ft. in size!!!!! These marbles were in a big old jar under a wooden table, stuck way back in a cardboard box where is was difficult to see. I had my LED light...lol!

Rich

post-2583-0-14888600-1314483870_thumb.jp

Hi!

Akro didn't make production sparklers larger than a #2. according to the catalogs. however, there may be experimentals out there. Bill has the nicest one we've seens pictured, but it probably was dug. Not sure what you pictured is for sure Akro. They look more like the 1" Alox sparklers we got from Nancy Frier. Hey Rich, what's your source of info? How did you ID these as akro? Here is one that is 1", experimental. (We do have provenance on this one) but still wouldn't call it a sparkler.

post-24-0-37021300-1314540387_thumb.jpg

They're very nice Rich.

To me they look a bit like Master Sunbursts but not quite,I'm not sure they are.

Igot a few myself out of the States,most of the colors are on the surface and they're almost 1 inch.

I will look in my photo files.

winnie

Ron Shepherd had 3 of the same marbles + 3 Masters that looked EXACTLY each other. The only difference was mine had a cleab transparent base and the Masters had a yellowish tint. I also saw one like mine at the Akro Museum (the Hardy's place) when they took me and my wife on a tour - W O W - what a moment THAT was for me! So I am convinced these are Akro.

There is a pic of these in an Alox package out there someplace? The only colour I see that is close to Akro is the yellow. Well and the white. Super cool score none the less. So many in one place. Did someone love them? Are they in great shape or played with?

There are about 10 that I didn't shoot as they have cracks in them. The others have normal damages but nothing truly bad. These marbles were not easy to see, as a matter of fact, my wife called my attention to them (quietly) as she was rummaging around in a box just in front of the one with the marbles. They were in a big clear glass jar that has one of those lids that close using a wire - I lost the glass lid in my travels so I bagged them in a gallon plastic bag and stored them next to the spare tire...lol. I did ask the owner if he had anymore marbles but he said no that they were the only ones. He was with another customer so he just turned his back on me and helped them. Later, he still was not a warm individual - cranky because it was so hot and sticky in the building with NO air flow whatsoever.

Also, these might be Alox. I am too new and get confused with some of the books with the pictures and haven't been around vintage marbles that long. The clear base definitely rules out Master (slight yellowish tint) I believe but I have just discovered that Alox made very similar ones like I have and mine might just be Alox. It's all SO confusing!

Whatever they are, I am eager to learn more.

Mike - are those wonderful mibs 1"?

Also, I have to change my mind - I now hope to have solved my dilemma with the name of these mibs I got.

Alox shooters. It's a learning process for me so I hope I got it correct finally...lol.

I'll post pix later since Ron Shepherd assisted me in getting it correct this time - thanks Ron!

Rich there only about a very big 11/16 .710 almost 23/32 as far as being even a sparkler there missing green . need more colors to be a true sparkler should have 5 colors where master has three . ??? also when I look at your marbles is all the color veneered on the surface ?? Mike

I found out that these are really Alox 1" shooters. Even though I saw a similar looking one under glass at the Akro Museum and read about some Akro marbles, I was shown visual documentation by Ron Shephard that these were really Alox and not Master 1" shooters nor Akro 1" shooters.. I goofed by allowing my newness and excitement to overpower me...lol.... sorry I messed up!!!

Galen - please remove what?;...lol

Rick:

To really mess with your mind , yes they are in Alox bags but even though they made 1 inch marbls with Alox machine soem people still beleive these were made by Master Made or Master Glass and not Alox...... it is all confusing because there were no records in a lot of cases and people who made are no longer here. You still have a terrific find to pull out of an old barn, you don't find them that often especially in quantity.

Don