Vintage Marble...or Dried Plum?

bumblebee

vitro-borosilicate.jpg

Take a look at this one. Could it be one of these? I'd like to place them side and by side and compare. This one is a Vitro Agate. It's one of the first and only run of marbles that Vitro did using borosilicate glass. Vitro was contracted to do this run for industrial purpose marbles. This was dug by a friend of mine at the old Vitro plant and employess verified and told him what it was. They were never run again because the boro gutted the tank and it couldn't be used again. The company contracting the boro marbles was notified and no more were made. I was given this one last fall by a dear friend. He only found about 20 of them and he shared this one with me. The marble in the auction reminded me of this one. Could it be?

By the way, mine is out of round also and i don't see the "V" on the one in the auction.

You're giving a lot of credit to whatever that little lump in the auction is. That's very nice of you. The auction looks like a playground rock to me.

vitro-borosilicate.jpgKGrHqNHJBsE7yp0EOW-BOf7wNPC60_12.jpg

Thanks for the side by side. i tried to do that and couldn't. The surface on mine is smooth, but the texture of the browns looks about the same. Also, using my imagination I think I can see some semblance of a "V" on the lump. mine is not quite round either, but it doesn't have the misshape of the dried plum. I still wonder if it might be a poorer example of the first machine made boro marbles. I imagine most of the good ones ended up in paint cans.

Naw! Ratzilla would have layed a more majestic marble than that!

Hope I'm not deviating too quickly, but if you wouldn't mind I'd like

to ask mintster what his avatar marble is. It's a real stand-out! ( :

I neither kept this nor took a photo, but we found an Easter Egg (hardboiled egg) that had remained hidden for 20 years in my parents house. Inside the intact shell was an about 3/4" marble. I swear to god it looked exactly like a marble and was as hard as glass. There was no odor to the petrified egg at all. I didn't keep it because i wasn't collecting marbles at that point in my life, but this would have been the perfect place to post the photo. It was brown, slightly translucent, wet mint, and round.