Saundra's Run

Bocci

thank you Duffy. I wasn't going to mention it, but since you posted I've been told he used David Tamulevich's info and Ron Shepherds in writing his book. I agree that he is no authority on West Virginia marbles. Now you good old boys attack me for that bit of truth.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no problem, edna....i dont know many who claim to be experts...but educated and informed......i know many...any body that gets in over their heads and boohoos to the masses that theyve been taken...well kinda deserve what they get....when you get too big for your britches ...a person needs to be let down easy...them little pea brains hold tons of dreams...mostly its gettin something for cheap and sell for high....when you cant make a big profit then the person has been screwed...by whom??....better look in the mirror...steph could you remove the line???

Edited by Steph
done!

A huge collection and thousands of dug examples from almost every site might give him just a tad of credibility. And there were many other collectors at that gathering that thought they were vintage marbles. And not sure just exactly what your talking about Duffy but it sounds a bit like another personal attack. As for the Sammy marbles I purchased, they were purchased as examples that mimic vintage marbles. It is so sad that some folks just have to take the low road of personal attacks and just can't keep it to their opinions of the marbles. It really isn't that tough.

Personal attack? People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. Accusations don't make it so. Thousands of marbles don't make an expert either. In my experience, the people who really know NEVER CLAIM THE TITLE EXPERT.

galen...youre much too sensitive...how can my statement be taken as a personal attack..in fact you personally attacked me by sayin i personally attacked you....i ve not doubted michaels credibility....just that hes came to me to get ids .....as i go to others....and sounds like you go to others for their opinions...its all about the collectin process...educatin yourself and not makin foolish for profit buys...thanks steph for fixin my line...

I have not yet seen a Jabo or Sammy's marble that I would seriously confuse with a vintage one. How about people post pics of the ones all these "experts" are fooled by? I'd love to see them. If I could be fooled by them, I will absolutely say so.

I am just dying to see the marbles from Jabo/Sammy's that might confuse a long-time serious and educated marble collector/afcionado with any vintage marble that might wholesale for $50.00 or more. Please post them all right away.

I am not really taking sides, I would just like to see the marbles that might qualify so that i might form my own opinion. Seems this subject hits a bunch of folks "hot button" so let us all see what you are talking about.

Show them if you got them.

I don't save Jabo photos, but I seem to recall a "Crystal" run by Jabo that looked very much like Rvenswoods or Champions. I agree these are not very valuable, but it struck me that similar marbles could be made. I surmised that it wouldnt be long before other runs were similar to vintage marbles. If I'm mistaken here, I apologize.

It's always good to learn something,Galen you said,might be a few in this group,so the most are old swirls?

They all have that old look,but the ones i've encircled (and one question mark) are at this picture indiscernible of CAC's,at least for me.

swirls_zps52912b71.jpg

This really didn't need to go this far at all. I have shown some variations of the Sammy marbles to close to a dozen collecters. All thought they looked vintage. Yes there are many that do not. So the supporters can continue to argue they do not and that it just happens, and I will continue to express my opinion that it saddens me that anyone with any concern about the hobby would be producing marbles that can AND WILL be confusing for future collectors. I believe it is detrimental to the hobby. I am done with this thread.

I am done with this thread.

Too bad. It would have been educational for all the folks you're so concerned about if you had stayed long enough to ID the marbles in the "mix of vintage and Sammy marbles" you posted.

That's what i thought a mix of old and new

Too bad. It would have been educational for all the folks you're so concerned about if you had stayed long enough to ID the marbles in the "mix of vintage and Sammy marbles" you posted

I would agree what Ann said.

Thanks Edna,i've circled 4 marbles and one question mark,from which i think are CAC.

I agree the others have a vintage look,but i'm not sure they are.,so i asked if someone could tell me which are the new marbles.

Galen knows but he is done with this thread,i think thats a pity because i only want to learn.

Ok.......I thought I would put this paragraph or two down as just food for thought. It appears that there are some that think that those who make marbles in recent years should not employ colors of glass that are so close to the colors that were used years back making what are now vintage marbles. I submit that that is never going to happen because who would want to buy modern marbles (machine or handmade) that did not have red/white/blue, red/yellow, green/white/red and the rest of the color spectrum used? There is a reason why the greenish (coke bottle glass) cateyes from China languish in the dollar store toy isles forever and 200 can be purchased for a dollar.

I suggest that marble makers will never stop using color to enhance the product they make to protect the hobbiest who collects valuable vintage marbles of old from being duped. Maybe collectors of marbles ought to purchase the modern ones for a buck or two and forget about paying hundreds of dollars for something that looks almost the same that is old. Some of the marble pricing reminds me of the tulipmania (Google it) the first bubble in the 1600's. Yes, some are old, colorful, some are few and condition is great but is that vintage marble that you may not be able to discern the difference between a modern made Jabo/Sammy marble worth hundreds more? I guess it is if you bought, found or own some good old ones. If you do not own any valuable vintage and want to protect yourself, listen to these long-time experts who are saying they can't tell the difference. Nuff said?

Winnie, the very bottom marble in orange, black and yellow is a Sammy's from one of the Marble Buddys runs. I don't know what vintage Galen thinks it is because if it were a golden rebel, the colors are off, way off, and there is no aventurine in the black. A lot of the other marbles he thinks are mimics have gold sprinkles or gold lutz in them. No machine mades that are vintage have lutz. Alley experimented with some silvery metal and made quite a few of them. Galen thinks they were accidents, buy we find too many for them to have been accidental.

Ok.......I thought I would put this paragraph or two down as just food for thought. It appears that there are some that think that those who make marbles in recent years should not employ colors of glass that are so close to the colors that were used years back making what are now vintage marbles. I submit that that is never going to happen because who would want to buy modern marbles (machine or handmade) that did not have red/white/blue, red/yellow, green/white/red and the rest of the color spectrum used? There is a reason why the greenish (coke bottle glass) cateyes from China languish in the dollar store toy isles forever and 200 can be purchased for a dollar.

I suggest that marble makers will never stop using color to enhance the product they make to protect the hobbiest who collects valuable vintage marbles of old from being duped. Maybe collectors of marbles ought to purchase the modern ones for a buck or two and forget about paying hundreds of dollars for something that looks almost the same that is old. Some of the marble pricing reminds me of the tulipmania (Google it) the first bubble in the 1600's. Yes, some are old, colorful, some are few and condition is great but is that vintage marble that you may not be able to discern the difference between a modern made Jabo/Sammy marble worth hundreds more? I guess it is if you bought, found or own some good old ones. If you do not own any valuable vintage and want to protect yourself, listen to these long-time experts who are saying they can't tell the difference. Nuff said?

What he said.