Saundra's Run

Bocci

Just got some from Davesmile.gif .
VERY nice inspirational run. Saundra Starks (family close friend of Sam Hoque).

You all saw the last run (fine) well it's that and some. Another EXTRA FINE RUN.
Anyone else have any of these gems?

Sam and Dave's most recent.

Saundra's Run (6-12-13).

mountain1_zps9caa7dad.jpg

AWESOME run.

mountain2_zpsb42610b1.jpg

Sam and Dave what can you say?
Keep kicking _ss all the way.wink.gif

WTG Mountain Marbles!!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again I see marbles that will be confused as vintage by many future collectors. I recently showed some vintage look alike Sammy marbles I purchased at Canton to a top Marble book author. He believed them to be vintage. So please don't bother with the "need to be educated" BS it just doesn't work any more. This man has held and has more vintage machine mades than most anyone in the hobby. Among other things, he said it was disturbing. As I have stated time and again there is no need to use colors that can be confused with vintage marbles. It saddens me to see folks so involved with trying to make money caring so little for the future collectors.

I don't know about you folks but now that I have seen this batch, I am all torn and conflicted! I now need to weigh my options as to spending/investing possibly hundreds on a great collectable vintage marble or two or being able to buy hundreds of these Saundra marbles for $30-$50. What a conundrum! Please show me a few more of those flame-type multi-colored Saundras to help me make up my mind.

I have to agree with an earlier post and say that if Dave & Sammy would have used old recycled Coke bottle glass, tried only one color with it (brown comes to mind)and gone back to making them out-of-round with plenty of flea bites and cold-roll marks my decision-making process would be much easier.

Generally speaking, I tend to agree with those having second thoughts on these runs. How long is this to continue? Have the makers not pretty well covered all the possibilities?

I notice that some of these runs are now for sale on Ebay for 10 cents each. Is it possible we have milked this idea down to the point where the value of the marble is less than the cost of production? If so, perhaps reason will soon prevail.

<<Is it possible we have milked this idea down to the point where the value of the marble is less than the cost of production?>>

Well obviously NO.

It does not look like Sam and Dave are slowing down any.

Now Jabo on the other hand, who knows?

My turn.

This run and all the runs before were SPECIAL runs.

I was caught up in the hype that they would NEVER be run again!!!!!!

I paid $300.00 FOR 35 SPECIAL run marbles ( in a SPECIAL RUN BOX ) of course.

I offered them up for sale thinking I could recoupe my investment.. just to break even/

The other collector one from this board ( shall remain nameless ).

Drove several miles to buy them.

I said they were in their original box, for $300.00.

The collector looked at the SPECIAL RUN BOX and asked me where were the

rest? I said that's it.

He was thinking I had a 25 pound box for sale $300.00.

Do I feel like a fool?? Yes. Am I a fool YES. A fool & his money are soon parted.

The reason I put out the kind of money I did was ( I thought ) an investment.

Boy was I wrong.

Well they say fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

Ya'll can enjoy your SPECIAL RUNS. And I'll enjoy being miserly.

I'm sure the SPECIAL RUNS will never end. But this is one miser that was bit once.

That makes me twice shy.

That's my story & i'm sticking to it.

marblemiser

As I have stated time and again there is no need to use colors that can be confused with vintage marbles. It saddens me to see folks so involved with trying to make money caring so little for the future collectors.

Well. There are not that many colors (or color combinations) that weren't used by vintage marble makers, so I don't know how practical that statement is.

But I do take your point about future collectors. However, I'm now old and cranky, and bellieve that they're just gonna have to study and learn as much (or more than) as we did. And continue to do so throughout their lives. And I don't think the "intent to deceive" future collectors is there. In some sellers, yes. In the makers -- I don't think so. Of course I could be wrong.

I don't believe you were referring to the exact marbles pictured above, from Sammy + Dave, Galen -- I don't know what specific ones you were talking about. But in the ones picured above, I honestly don't see much that would confuse me in either pic, beyond not knowing whether the multiple points of light on each marble are reflections from the lighting source or "glitter" of some type (mica, aventurine, whatever). The only ones I would hesitate over (out of context) are the red/orange - white - blue ones that Steph mentioned, Individual ones might remind me of Euro swirls, maybe, or whatever the hell all those other marbles are that are those colors (Champion, Ravenswood, whoever). That's a whole class of marble I've given up on, for the time being.

For the most part I think that Dave's old and new marbles have distinctive patterns and colors, although I'm no longer as interested in them as I was before the blow-up at JABO. Just because I'm seeing repetition of both patterns and colors. I was more interested when I felt I was watching something being worked out right before my eyes, and a great many marbles were truly fresh and new in both color and style. But that's just personal -- I've always been more interested in developmental phases (in history & art history) than in Renaissance and later periods.

Everybody just has to make their own decisions. Including whether or not to think of anything they buy as being an investment. I'm an idiot except where it comes to certain (remote) periods of art, so I've bought nothing as an investment, although I realize I have some things I could sell if I had to. Like after I retire into poverty. If I have to eat dog food, I at least want to be able to get the kind that makes its own gravy.

Well. There are not that many colors (or color combinations) that weren't used by vintage marble makers, so I don't know how practical that statement is.

But I do take your point about future collectors. However, I'm now old and cranky, and bellieve that they're just gonna have to study and learn as much (or more than) as we did. And continue to do so throughout their lives. And I don't think the "intent to deceive" future collectors is there. In some sellers, yes. In the makers -- I don't think so. Of course I could be wrong.

I don't believe you were referring to the exact marbles pictured above, from Sammy + Dave, Galen -- I don't know what specific ones you were talking about. But in the ones picured above, I honestly don't see much that would confuse me in either pic, beyond not knowing whether the multiple points of light on each marble are reflections from the lighting source or "glitter" of some type (mica, aventurine, whatever). The only ones I would hesitate over (out of context) are the red/orange - white - blue ones that Steph mentioned, Individual ones might remind me of Euro swirls, maybe, or whatever the hell all those other marbles are that are those colors (Champion, Ravenswood, whoever). That's a whole class of marble I've given up on, for the time being.

For the most part I think that Dave's old and new marbles have distinctive patterns and colors, although I'm no longer as interested in them as I was before the blow-up at JABO. Just because I'm seeing repetition of both patterns and colors. I was more interested when I felt I was watching something being worked out right before my eyes, and a great many marbles were truly fresh and new in both color and style. But that's just personal -- I've always been more interested in developmental phases (in history & art history) than in Renaissance and later periods.

Everybody just has to make their own decisions. Including whether or not to think of anything they buy as being an investment. I'm an idiot except where it comes to certain (remote) periods of art, so I've bought nothing as an investment, although I realize I have some things I could sell if I had to. Like after I retire into poverty. If I have to eat dog food, I at least want to be able to get the kind that makes its own gravy.

only a fool would argue that........so when i get some time, i'll reply!.lol

That statement is very practical. There are many colors, color combos and glass types that were not used by the vintage makers. The new aventurines are a great example And I have never said there is actual intent to deceive. But is there effort put in to make sure that there are not marbles made that will deceive. Is that the same or not???And I am positive no one is pulling marbles for sale that do resemble vintage mibs, This just sucks. It really is no different than all the cheap Chinese reproductions of vintage toys, cast iron implements and other antiques.(which has had terrible results in the collecting world) Sure there are experts and well educated collectors that can tell the difference but there is no need to make them. Oh wait, there is the same need as the makers of these marbles, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That statement is very practical. There are many colors, color combos and glass types that were not used by the vintage makers. The new aventurines are a great example . . .

Well, those many colors, color combos, glass types, and aventurines not used by vintage makers are exacly what the experimental and patron runs (at both JABO and Sammy's) were (and are) mostly about. So duh.

As for the rest - sounds awfully familiar, you Knight in Shining Armor, you . . .

Just have to take it to a personal attack don't you?. The So duh and knight in shining armor comments really are not necessary. I do not believe I take shots at any one posting here??

Back to the subject matter,. it is the "mostly about" that just doesn't work for me. And there have been many posts about these marbles that I have left alone. It builds, I post. I do not expect any or all to agree with me, but I should be able to freely post another side to the story and my opinions with out taking personal attacks. And I really do not speak for myself only. Almost every vintage collector I personally talk with have shared many similar feelings. I just am one that doesn't mind speaking up. Why can't we just post with out the BS Ann. It was going very well up to your last post.

But is there effort put in to make sure that there are not marbles made that will deceive. Is that the same or not???And I am positive no one is pulling marbles for sale that do resemble vintage mibs, This just sucks. It really is no different than all the cheap Chinese reproductions of vintage toys, cast iron implements and other antiques.(which has had terrible results in the collecting world) Sure there are experts and well educated collectors that can tell the difference but there is no need to make them. Oh wait, there is the same need as the makers of these marbles, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm sorry if a little irony is interpreted by you as a personal attack, Galen. It was not meant as such, no more than your little irony above, re the makers of these marbles, was meant as a personal attack against them. Or wait. Hmmmmm. Let me think about that.

I suppose it did look to you like things in this thread were going so well until that short post of mine. Others thought it was going pretty well until you started posting. But that's the nature of the Beast.

Of course, speak up on this particular topic as much as you like. Just keep in mind that a lot of us have heard it before and before and before, and to hear it all over again can sometimes be provoking, even to ordinarily good-natured folk.

Even more, really?????? what is even more provoking is seeing run after run being made that consist of many marbles that can be and most certainly will be a major headache for future collectors. And you certainly do not have to read my posts or even comment on them if you do not like them. You can block me from your viewing(it is in settings) if I bother you so much you can't keep it civil. I have never said you shouldn't post or feel the way you do.

I really pity the future collectors. They will think they have something rare when it isnt. Since 2008 when these type runs started how many "investor" marbles are out there? Say 4 million. How long do you think they will appreciate? Virtually all was made for the collector market. How many are sitting in basements? Who else besides Edna doesnt sell any? She gives them away. Edna, I give you kudos for the sheer pleasure. Is there anyone else?

Getting info on all the different runs to tell apart? Forget it. Make Bocci board go away and they got zilch info. There are very few people who could tell you which run they came from. They now look too much alike. After more than 50 runs since 2008. That's a lot!