Reproductions And The Damage They Can Do??

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But none of those companies were making marbles that they knew may be mimicking older vintage marbles that people collected. And these new companies have the option of not doing that. Too bad some of the new makers just don't care. What a shame they care so little for vintage collectors and future collectors. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO MAKE MARBLES THAT LOOK VINTAGE, AND IF THEY DO TRY NOT TO, AND SOME ARE PRODUCED, THEY CAN BE DESTROYED.

But none of those companies were making marbles that they knew may be mimicking older vintage marbles that people collected. And these new companies have the option of not doing that. Too bad some of the new makers just don't care. What a shame they care so little for vintage collectors and future collectors. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO MAKE MARBLES THAT LOOK VINTAGE, AND IF THEY DO TRY NOT TO, AND SOME ARE PRODUCED, THEY CAN BE DESTROYED.

I thinking you are making a big assumption there.

I understand similarities and I understand pattern preferences.

I also understand how some people try to mimic because of love,like,pleasure. I do not think they are intentionally crapping on older marbles or their collectors intentionally though.

I have never said they are intentionally making "mimics". I am saying they are not trying, not to, as much as I believe they should. And I have had personal conversations with Dave about making flame types etc. Yes they do attempt that which is fine if using unfamiliar colors or multitude of colors. I am saying they can use colors, glass types and combinations of colors that do not resemble old Vintage marbles. And as long as they are selling the ones that do resemble old marbles , they are, as you put it, crapping on vintage marble collectors and future marble collectors IN MY OPINION. And I have always stated it is OK to not agree with any of my opinions.

THEY DO NOT HAVE TO MAKE MARBLES THAT LOOK VINTAGE, AND IF THEY DO TRY NOT TO, AND SOME ARE PRODUCED, THEY CAN BE DESTROYED.

I think your denial is coming in the form of splitting hairs :)

We need to find a way to educate the new collector!

That is not how it works these days.

People SEE marbles, get curious and peruse ebay to see what they THINK they have. When I got into this I SWORE i had 100 CAC bricks...mine were just a LITTLE different...now I KNOW they were all WV solid color swirls ( NO laughing :P ). But the thought that I had valuable marbles got me to LOOKING at more....and then I started to buy and buy and buy. All I had to do was buy a pile and...figure out WTF I had bought. So then comes the books and...the utter confusion, then the google search for how to ID,then the found forums, then the confusion as A tells me the marble is a "Z" and me going HUH?!?! How ?

That is the progression, trail and error. The curve is those who are passionate about a hobby VS those who think it is fun,get frustrated and flake.

It is not like teaching math or a new language. Either you are a passionate person or you are not. So all of the knowledge in the world , if you are not passionate, would simply make you....a picker out to rip one end and gouge the other in MY MEAGER opinion :)

BTW? Anyone want to buy some WV solid color swirls ??? (THAT....WAS A JOKE!)

Ann and Griff,the Euro swirls and the 2 seam slags are old and have history,you can't associate them with Jabo's or Sammy's that have that old look but are new.

Ofcourse it's not fun,when you collect only American marbles and it appears that you have European marbles in your pile,if you are not satisfied with them,you can sell them to me.I like them very much and i like also the old American machien mades.

Oh no,I like them euro's.Especialy them purple/green flames.

I dont age descriminate,,,,I like marbles,old,new,somewhere in the middle,makes no differance to me.If its something I like,thats all there is.

Mandrakes has swung the hammer,and has hit the nail on the head.

In marble collecting,everyone is responsible for their education,and ignorance.

yes they are, and IMO some should be responsible to not make it even more confusing. Actually Gnomekicker(really wish I had a name) I believe it is very easy (if they cared enough) for the new makers to not make color combos that will confuse folks.

Whoa! What a load of crap! We got people posting here saying that machine marble makers should not be using certain colors because someone used them in the past. Give me and every other sane person in the world a break. That statement is (fill in the blank). Does this mean that I can never paint my bedroom white because someone used white 75 years ago. Personally, I wish Dave and Sammy would have actually tried to duplicate old marble colors. It would not have bothered me at all. If one can't tell the difference, don't buy, get smart or get out. By the way, the world is not flat!

Its a good thing,no one caterers Galens opinions.Well,maybe a couple do,to be fair.

I dont care for plain old black or white marbles.

Did some vintage marble company already do that?----LOL

Speaking of which,,,,,,,,,,Clyde,did I ask the question,in its proper form,or should I refrase it for your liking?

My advise to anyone that wants to get involved with marbles,it would be wise to pay your dues,either by taking the time to educate youself,or if you dont,you will pay your dues with cash.Dont be scared,just do the work.

This should be applied to just about any hobby/collecting,especialy if your biggest concern is one of these-$

You should also keep your eduction up dated,especialy since there have been a whole lot of new names,,,,,,for vintage marbles,in recent years.No wait,I ment to say since marbles are still being made.No,that aint it,,,since "new"(unknown)old marbles are still comming out of the ground.

Wouldnt it be nice if we could just get a heads up about a marble that looks like another,instead of,,,,,well,you guys know,,,,,,,

It is funny how my opinion on the new marbles elicit such strong opinions from some folks that think my opinion is completely wrong(thats OK) and I shouldn't even post it(That is not OK). Oh wait, almost all those folks that think I shouldn't express my opinion are involved in some way with the manufacture or distribution of those marbles. Or very close friends with those making them. Nuff said. I think this is old

IMG_0337.JPG

You must be talking about Griff and not me. I am anti-social,have two friends (Frank & Bec and I do not like them that much either), and posting here is about as close as I want to get to anybody dealing marbles anymore. I have not purchased any marbles for a couple years and do not plan to. It is just that when one says that people who work with glass should not employ the whole pallette is just flat-out ludicrous. Maybe Picasso should have not used red because Michaelangelo did earlier in painting Mona Lisa? Stupid is stupid and some show it better than others.

You were doing real good up till your last sentence. Too bad you have to get insulting. It is a shame you couldn't just give your opinion with out getting personal. Seems to be a bad habit with the folks that disagree with me.

Yes. You are right and I am sorry and I mean it. I have always tried to focus on the issue and not the person and it just got away from me reading about limiting colors. I am working on trying to be a better person. You, me and everyone else posting here are entitled to an opinion and the right to post it. I have met you once, visited for a little while, I thought you personable, believed you to be an honest trader, you gave freely of your knowledge and I believe you know your stuff and I still can't come anywhere close to agreeing with you on some of your statements. Everyone needs to weigh the agenda's advanced by the posters here and it may not always be about lovers and friends of Jabo or Sammy people. Just for the record, my agenda is I like to sell marbles and make some money. Nuff said?

Sorry Griff, please refer back to post #50 as to my opinion on reproduction. You rephrased as asking for a definition.

Maybe if Galen wasnt so honest he should sell those ones I have seen that mimic vintage for 250-500 each because thats what they would go for if they were real vintage. He could then give the exscuse like some people has said (Griff, Duffy Edna and others) that people have to edjucate themselves. Or pay the $$$ doing it. Griff please refer to post #88. The others can refer to previous posts they have made in the past about education. But If he did that. Then everybody would call him a crook. But no, he is honest. And trying to educate before that money leaves the beginners or whomever's pockets. So, which is it should be? The person thats warns of mimics or the crook that says the ignorant should pay? An example is that a past run had red/white/blue colors. Why couldnt they have used blue AV instead of transparent blue? Easy solution.

Mike, that was a very nice post! It is great when folks can disagree without getting personal. I believe you meant what you said. Apology more than excepted! Dani, Maybe this will be better than more of the same marble

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0339.JPG