Very Large Handmade German Melon Ball Marbles

JVVmarbles

Does any of you like the antique melon ball marbles? Some have very nice colors! I especially like the really large ones (very hard to find!). Here's a photo of some of my faves, the large green one is huge, just under 2-1/4" and glows like crazy under a blacklight. All have facetted pontils, so early marbles.

I'd love to see more photo's of nice melon ball marbles!

post-92-0-45550200-1391260760_thumb.jpg

Woooow! Hansel, that's very impressive. What lovely colors. Is the fluorescent yellow one a Vaseline glass based marble?

Thanks JVV. Vaseline glass is translucent, I think, and these are opaque, but I know what you mean. Yes, the yellow ones are highly fluorescent. I don't dare sleep with them.

Thanks JVV. Vaseline glass is translucent, I think, and these are opaque, but I know what you mean. Yes, the yellow ones are highly fluorescent. I don't dare sleep with them.

I have several Vaseline glass based and they glow a fantastic bright green under a blacklight. I've been told it's because the glass contains radioactive Uranium...I'd love to check with a geiger counter someday!

Those are bigger than I would have thought were made. Do you think they were intended to be marbles or something else

My guess is that they were made to imitate naturally colored minerals. Just like MFC's colors, which the Germans predated - carnelian, jade, turquoise, etc. Maybe the large ones were made for display?

Just because they have dings and chips would not necessarily mean (at least to me) they were made to play with as marbles. The round shape would be attractive to children who would play with them like they were marbles but this does not mean they were made for play as marbles. Many Sulphides are dinged up but their expense when sold new would make me believe they were sold for use other than kids marble games.

Yes Aleecee, you're correct. A handful of small opaques makes as pretty a group as any type of handmade marble.

smallopaques014_zps2ada3579.jpg

Hi Hansel, you keep surprising me with your wonderful collection and I'm sure most of us would love to see more of what you have. Maybe you could post some more photo's of your beauties?

• 2 years later...