Patches Found In Alley Dirt

lstmmrbls

Thank you very much for your information Ron. Some folks may believe I am being confrontational, not the case at all, I am always seeking more knowledge and my questions posted the way they are seem to gain the most response.

Still not convinced but getting closer. :computer-22:

The information that Rosenthal operated out of Sistersville about has me convinced. That is a perfectly good reason for the marbles to be there even if they weren't made there.

p.s., I would have guessed Sistersville on the right for the little red one here because the stringy base looks like peewees found in my Rosenthal boxes. It would be cool for that one to turn out to be Akro.

post-91-0-94487500-1415691442.jpg

:)

Thanks Ron for the detailed explanation,and good to know there were corkscrews found at Sistersville.

Could we see some pics of the corks found at Sistersville?

And thanks for the info on the sale of Alley to Pink or Rosenthal and the time of uncertain production at that site. That's the first time I've heard what sounds (to me) like good evidence for marbles made by someone other than Alley there.

Maybe we'll never know -- but just as you can't say that patches were produced by Alley (and neither can I), I also can't say that all the patches found there were produced by Akro . . . but you may just have the beginnings of a very good reason for the confusion there!

Logic(with related facts) is always better than pure speculation.

Ive never seen any "evidence" that alley made patches.

Speculation gets you,"these were grandpa's marbles so they must be old".

If I were to speculate,there was a lattacino factory in the last house that I removed the duct work.I found one when I pulled it down.

Come to think about it,there must have been an alley and cat eye factory upstairs at my house.It was raining marbles when I removed the old ceiling tiles.Of course,I can offer,first hand knowledge,and explanation for the marbles in the ceiling.Kind of makes all the differance in the world,when it comes to the truth!

Before I get a ridiculous response,I cant present any evidence that Alley didnt make patches.On that note,I dont have any evidence that Big Foot does not exist either!-(even though I might have met one,in 1986,in the playground lounge,in Enola PA)-LOL

Now,its time for anyone to come forward that has evidence that Alley made patches.Not interested in "the sky is falling", speculation.

THANKS RON,for re-re -re hashing this topic.

• 8 years later...

My grandfather was Russell U. Adams of Sistersville, West Virginia. I see him mentioned in above comments but I'm not sure I have logged in correctly or will be able to access the site tomorrow so I'm going to close and see  what happens - it's too late to continue tonight. He was born in 1888 and died in 1957.

49 minutes ago, Martha Benton said:

My grandfather was Russell U. Adams of Sistersville, West Virginia. I see him mentioned in above comments but I'm not sure I have logged in correctly or will be able to access the site tomorrow so I'm going to close and see  what happens - it's too late to continue tonight. He was born in 1888 and died in 1957.

Welcome!  Everything looks good to me. :thup:  

I have a theory on the matter , it maybe that no matter what differences the makers  may have had, when one Co. had to shutdown others may have borrowed each other's sites to stay open. Just a theory. A known practice 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wvrons said:

I must have missed it someplace but I did not see Russell Adams mentioned.  Always looking for more info. Let us know what his ties are with the marbles at Sistersville.   

Ron, it's on the first page of this thread.  Back in 2014 you wrote that, "In 1932 there were legal problems and Alley sold out to the broker either Berry Pink or more likely Morris Rosenthal. In 1931 Berry Pink had suggested that Rosenthal acuire the Alley business. In 1932 the company is listed as incorporated with Berry Pink as treasure and purchasing agent and Russell U. Adams as general manager."  

A few factory sites were sold and another company made marbles there.  Heaton to Bogard - Alley to Marble King -  but not many. Most sites sat empty and the buildings fell in.  The only company buildings standing now in WV are Ravenswood, Marble King, Master, part of Champion, that is bout it.  Four left out of about fourteen.