Marble Names!!!!!!

venwood

If we want this hobby to not die then every marble out there needs to have a name. People coming into a hobby need identification so they know what they have and what they need to complete there collection just like comic book, coins or any other collectable . There are a lot that were named by the kids who used them which is cool but there are bunch out there that never got a name and I think that it is up to the collectors now to finish that job to keep this hobby alive. Just look at all the name to the jabo jokers I saw a cobra jabo sell for a 100.00 on ebay because it was named so I think we as collectors need to start naming a few marbles!

THIS IS MY HUMBLE OPINION WHAT DO YOU THINK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot topic!

I know some are passionately against naming marbles.

I think I'm mostly neutral. I like a lot of the marble names. I want to learn a lot of the marble names. But even with the names which already exist, I have some issues. "Ace" and "Special" for Akro marbles -- those are tough for me. I'm trying to learn the collector's usage -- but it's hard for me because it contradicts Akro's usage of the words.

And with all the other marbles out there ... who gets to name them? What group of namers is going to be so acceptable that the oldtimers across the nation (and world) will get on board with the names as they're generated and not get peeved about at least some of it?

It's the logistics of it which makes me not so neutral. With a little bit of emotion added in -- if it's someone I unhappy with doing the naming then I'm likely to resist. :)

Oh, and I thought of one more thing.

When a name has been accepted, people stray from it. So then who judges what range of marbles fits into that name?

I'm trying to remember an example where that became troublesome for me once. I think Vitro Opal was an example. I'm not sure but I _think_ that may be an example of where what one large group of collectors defined as opals ended up being different from what the people who came up with the name defined as opals.

If I'm wrong about that particular case, you can still see how that could happen. Definition shift.

Does it really matter who names what I think people should start doing it and let the community hash it out. I know that NLR submarine are cool but there are a lot of early rainbows that have that base just one example. I am not talking about changing akro names but the kids of that time did and now it is up to us collectors of the 21 century to start naming them so people will start to save them and not throw them out because they have no value!

Okay, I'm back -- could start an "everyone name a marble" thread.

Just for fun.

No pressure.

And see if anything sparks imaginations. :)

Purely for fun. Not homework. Just ... "I'm naming this Pelt Rainbo a Fiesta" .... for example. :)

I need several wall repairs that I didn't need an hour ago. And I have a headache. All I got from this was lets name marbles because they sell for more on Ebay. It is true, they often do. No thanks. And naming a wide variety of marbles the same thing does nothing but add confusion to an already confused hobby.

That's a great idea Steph and we can count on lstmmrbls to stay out of it as he think it is a stupid idea take an aspirin and patch your walls and spara50 who thinks only expensive marbles deserve names. Also anyone else who can only hate this idea can stay out too. I checked today and there were 18882 marble listing on ebay today. There are a lot of low end collectors out there who would like there hobby even more if common marble had a name. They would also start joining this forum and other to find out what they have not just the generic and unexciting answers that they get now. I know that people don't like Ebay but it drives what people are collecting.

I mean what about all those WV swirls out there that when asked what is this you get oh some company from west Virginia made that and the person who has that marble thinks oh this is nothing and tosses it.

There is a rainbow out there that has the same colors as mountain dew but has no name and you can't give it away there is also a rainbow out there called a 7up because of the colors and people will buy and collect it just one example.

We could have the soda line of Peltier rainbos.

I think there is a Sprite named already -- but I don't remember the color combo. Is it yellow and white on transparent green? Yes ... that's the one. Thank you, Google. http://www.peltiermarbles.com/new_names/content/newnames.htm

gallery_279_56_19634.jpg

Rootbeers will start to get some love. :thup:

Anybody can name any marble anything they want.

Doesn't mean I have to call it that.

And I don't think I've ever bought a marble because it was "named." If it was (to use Vernwood's example) a rainbow with Mountain Dew colors and I thought the marble was pretty, I would buy it. Not because I "needed a Mountain Dew."

But that may just be me.

I vote for naming one "Bruce."

I kinda like "the soda line" of rainbos . . .

Anybody can name any marble anything they want.

Doesn't mean I have to call it that.

And I don't think I've ever bought a marble because it was "named." If it was (to use Vernwood's example) a rainbow with Mountain Dew colors and I thought the marble was pretty, I would buy it. Not because I "needed a Mountain Dew."

But that may just be me.

I vote for naming one "Bruce."

I kinda like "the soda line" of rainbos . . .

​

What Ann said.

I don't want to collect names,I want to collect marbles,that I like.

I've bought this week 8 Freds

Isn't there a Green Fizz? That would fit in the soda line too. If only I had one.

I'll have a Cream Soda, please.

I have a small number that are candidate for green fizz, and I want to say that they are all fizzes, but I'm afraid to post 'em because I'm not sure I know what a green fizz would, or wouldn't be in the first place! Fine bubbles? Big bubbles? What kind of green? Which is why this issue is so prickly. I've seen them in pictures, but "in hand" I have no idea what these are. John

Yup Pelt has a Green Fizz. Hard marble to photograph. You can ID a fizz by the ribbons. It has 4 opaque white ribbons and two clear lime green ribbons

that are UV reactive. Base is clear colorless but might appear greenish because the clear green ribbons blend in with the base.

Thanks Dave! Really helps and greatly appreciate the descriptive text and the pix. Now, can I run one of those down in mibbarium? John

For now, I will make these two observations: 1) I have too many distinctive, and name-able forms of marbles already, and the list keeps growing the further I go down the marble rabbit hole; I keep finding far too many, and I never seem to find the bottom of all that there is, and never will: 2) and that the many named forms that stuck won their names through history, accuracy, and mostly straightforward natures and a little bit of random, dumb luck: there is no mistaking a Red Angel, or a Bloody Mary Tracer, or a Rebel etc., etc, and their names work. Their forms show limited variation, and thereby, the name designation works as a effective cultural artifact...everyone (educated enough about) knows what it is, and what people are talking about when a named marble is mentioned (or at least, when it works). Therein lies its power. This has been disastrously perverted, when the Superman of Pelt became a standard for other manufacturers of other types of marbles...as seen with superman colors. And the list goes on, but I can't stand the mention of them now! What a disaster! Those other supermen should be known by other names...they don't need to be equated with color palate only...that, likely, is the worst reason, colors alone, I can think of for the process of naming them. (Color and construction is needed!) Just some of my thinking on this. John