The classics

Steph

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This is one I think of from time to time, especially when peewees are mentioned.   "No larger than a good-sized marrowfat pea."  

Marbles, and Where They Come From, by A. W. Roberts

https://books.google.com/books?id=9Fg_AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA379

If you haven't seen that one yet, do check it out.  It's informative and charming.  And illustrated.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a provocative classic.  Sports Illustrated, June 20, 1955 .... this is a large-ish size but it's displaying smaller for me here. If I click on it three times I get a bigger copy. Might work for you.  

10c644a11bd3288325fa1f322071a9c3.jpg

2513e41375a0cfc456866ea8208d244d.jpg

http://marbleconnection.com/topic/8445-marbles-article-1955/

https://www.si.com/vault/1955/06/20/604842/color-in-the-dust

• 2 years later...

Perfect timing Steph, reminds me of all the good care free times I had as a kid, something we all need "right now" is a little sunshine in our lives " Thanks so much for bumping the post" Made my day a little brighter  :wave2:  I enjoyed every post you did "immensely"

Maybe not well known?   I saw a mention of little Ronnie Howard on Twilight Zone and hoped youtube would have it.  Sure enough.  And he has marbles.    I'm wondering how I could have gone this long without knowing about  this particular marble clip.  

Ronnie Howard 1959 - YouTube

11 hours ago, Steph said:

Forse non molto conosciuto? Ho visto una menzione del piccolo Ronnie Howard in Twilight Zone e speravo che YouTube l'avesse. Abbastanza sicuro. E ha le biglie. Mi chiedo come avrei potuto andare così a lungo senza sapere di questa particolare clip di marmo.  Ronnie Howard 1959 - YouTube   

Hello Steph-just these days I am watching "Twilight Zone", it is a series that I like to watch in the winter period.

Strange that it is little known, they also made the" remake "in three seasons

110 episodes, in Italy released with the name" at the borders of reality 80s " but the first is much much more beautiful, even if without colors.

Eh Yes Steph, that episode is beautiful if not the best of the whole series, and the detail of the beee marbles....

But there are many beautiful ones!

They also did another remakein 2002 in a single season with 43 episodes that I have, but unfortunately not translated into Italian, but I keep it anyway!
Thanks for mentioning it Steph!

Saluti Roby

Edited by Steph
fixed quotation box

Read it all, finally. Of particular interest to me was the SI article that says "Pee Wee" Reese got his Moniker from marbles and not as a dig at his stature. Pee Wee is a hall of famer but also important for his acceptance of Jackie Robinson as a teammate. Thanks Steph

Bruce

I'm very grateful to have grown up when I did. What a fantastic time to be alive, I often dream of childhood friends & the things we done, no cells, no P.C., no flat screens, no web, we lived in the country and stayed outside every second we could, clear till dark we found or created things to do, mostly from our imaginations, sometimes leading to us getting into trouble as children do, making some lifelong friends & memories along the way. In my mind Opie was my neighbor. "Thanks" for the reflections Steph, life then was so simple, so grand, I don't regret even one second !!

• 1 year later...