What gives us the fire inside of moonies?

Steph

There are two basic answers:

Opalescent glass is intentionally chemically formulated to achieve the opalescent effect.  The chemical approaches to this were varied over time. Various aluminum compounds were normal as were some flourides.

The "effect" is caused by visual perception of the diverse optical frequencies that are close to the visual wavelength perception of the human eye.

4 hours ago, DINDO said:

I was hoping it was captured moonlight. 

Added chemicals. Natural aluminum and flourides  already present in the glass or those were the added stuff? .  These marble manufacturers were scientists.

It was added for specific effect.  Opalescent glass was first formulated by glass makers for molded glass.

On 4/21/2018 at 6:33 PM, Steph said:

That's a great word.  

Tyndall, Colloids, Arsenate or Girasol?  personally I'm diggin Arsenate I can come up with a number of creative definitions for that word 😈  seriously though great info everyone.

Girasol was the one I was thinking of.  I'm a sucker for a line starting with "historically". 

But lots of good words and good information! Not what I was expecting.  Glad I opened the question up to all these glass folks.  

• 1 year later...

I noticed that I'm posting to really old posts, thus I'm so ecstatic that people still reply back!  Question--are there knock-off moonies?  I'm hoping the answer is "no" because I just purchased one that is so amazing--blue spot and orange glow-- and I have it "front and center" on my glass shelf.

5 hours ago, Marbleized said:

I noticed that I'm posting to really old posts, thus I'm so ecstatic that people still reply back!  Question--are there knock-off moonies?  I'm hoping the answer is "no" because I just purchased one that is so amazing--blue spot and orange glow-- and I have it "front and center" on my glass shelf.

I know know about knock-off.  There are lots of makers who had "fire" in their marbles for various reasons.   

What do you mean by blue spot?   Something with a fiery white base and a blue patch could be a Peltier Acme Realer, for example.  

I guess the blue spot comes from the way light shines through.  There seems to be a variance in the transparency of the glass.  So when you line the marble up to light in at a certain angle, you see a bluish area.  I couldn't capture the yellowy orange glow which is not a strong one, but you can see a strong orange reflection on the cloth. The size is .63". I will have to look up that Peltier Acme Realer. 

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

2 hours ago, Steph said:

What I think I can make out of the structure does make me think you have an Akro moonie here.

I guess the blue spot comes from the way light shines through.  There seems to be a variance in the transparency of the glass.  So when you line the marble up to light in at a certain angle, you see a bluish area.  I couldn't capture the yellowy orange glow which is not a strong one, but you can see a strong orange reflection on the cloth. The size is .63". I will have to look up that Peltier Acme Realer. 

On 2/29/2020 at 2:54 PM, Marbleized said:

Great to get a confirmation!  I think it is one of the most interesting marbles that I have. Lots to talk about.  It even got my husband interested in marbles for a couple of minutes! Thanks!

These were some of the most expensive marbles produced and sold by any manufacturer and you have to see them in hand to appreciate them. CAC’s moonies, white and blue, are equally if not more impressive. Below is a CAC Blue Moon and a box of Akro orange...

B307D4F9-28D6-43A1-843D-85A995D128C2.jpeg

32241EF0-250E-4DFC-832A-837ABC61433C.jpeg

Akro made blue ones as well, just as CAC made white moons too. To my knowledge CAC only made those two colors, however - others may know of others. As for the differences, they’re subtle, to my eyes the CAC have as usual a bit richer, deeper glass. The one blue I have literally glows just sitting there - it’s long been one of my favorite mibs. 

Just an aside - anyone remember the old Ban Roll-On deodorants? It was big back in the 50’s and 60’s. It featured sticky deodorant juice in a glass tube that rolled on with a big glass marble. Marble fiend that I was in those days, of course I had to break a jar open and get to one. That mib was almost indistinguishable from an Akro moonie. I think it’s still here...somewhere. If I ever find it I’ll post it.