HTF Prize/2 color corks

sarab

That's what I'm talking about, Bill! Did you forget you had them or something? The Jolly Roger fits the thread perfectly - HTF 2 color corkscrews - great orange peel on that one. The other ones ain't bad either. How big are they again?

4 hours ago, Ric said:

That's what I'm talking about, Bill! Did you forget you had them or something? The Jolly Roger fits the thread perfectly - HTF 2 color corkscrews - great orange peel on that one. The other ones ain't bad either. How big are they again?

.... 1 1/4+ on 1st. 1 .... solid 1 1/4 " on second. from the 2 .... r's .... 😷.... :party-780: ...... this lavender is 1 " .. bit over ...  .......... few more 1"ers ....

DSC01040.JPG

DSC01484.JPG

DSC01485.JPG

DSC01486.JPG

DSC01487.JPG

DSC01488.JPG

I guess HTF is completely relative. If you have never seen one it's HTF, if you have one, not so much. Anyway here are some that are not too common at my place. 

1) brown/blue. the brown is streaky  like ox but not red enough.

2)amber/yellow snake.

3)Pistachio/ transparent red 13/16

4)Red/black.  absolutely opaque and pretty evenly divided so it's not possible to tell which is the base glass.

5)Rufous/pistachio 11/16

cork brn blu1.jpg

cork amber yellow snake1.jpg

cork pistachio red1.jpg

cork red black.jpg

cork rufous green2.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Berryb said:

I guess HTF is completely relative. If you have never seen one it's HTF, if you have one, not so much. Anyway here are some that are not too common at my place. 

2)amber/yellow snake.

4)Red/black.  absolutely opaque and pretty evenly divided so it's not possible to tell which is the base glass.

5)Rufous/pistachio 11/16

cork brn blu1.jpg

cork pistachio red1.jpg

cork red black.jpg

cork rufous green2.jpg

Thems some nice mibs Bruce !! The only one like those I have is the amber and yellow snake, and I consider it HTF.

Getting back to dealing with a black line demarcating two colors, I have to play the devil's advocate here:  red & green can make black, so can blue & orange, green & orange & many other combinations, the more saturated (IE the  darker the colors,) the blacker our eyes see the mix. We can have green-black, red-black, etc. which is why we have so many choices of paints & coloring agents, & why it's so hard to match paints when doing a paint patch job, or match shingles after a hurricane ( which we are facing right now) Adding in how two colors can react & work together when mixed, like when you pour chocolate into vanilla for a marble cake, I can see how the black line on a marble becomes a point for interpretation, but it's very probable that it's a product of two color interacting. So was it planned so that the marble maker was trying for a certain look, or wanted to make 3 colored marbles; or was it just a happy accident that makes the marble look more special. I'm not sure there is a finite answer, but I would love to have one of the black lined marbles, none of mine do. It's like putting eye liner on a woman's eyes, it just enhances them.   Geeze, I sound like a teacher-sorry 🙄

#50.jpg

Glass colors do not mix to make a new different color. Glass is not like paint. Glass colors bleed or thin. Glass colors can and do lay over top of each other. Glass colors can be heated to high and burn turning dark. Or if high enough temp and long enough, some can go clear. Some glass can look clear and when heated turn to a color, like pink or maroon. There is a large variety of glass types, weights, coefficency, etc. A glass worker could make a big list of different glass. Not all types of glass can be added to each other.  Glass colors do not react anything like mixing paint. 

5 hours ago, Berryb said:

2)amber/yellow snake.

5)Rufous/pistachio 11/16

cork brn blu1.jpg

cork pistachio red1.jpg

cork red black.jpg

cork rufous green2.jpg

That Brown and Blue is amazing!!
I've never seen one like it.

-Jess

Ron, thank you for the description of mixing glasses/colors, always appreciate learning new information. 

I’m throwing this out here, I'm guessing that this grayish muddy clay color would be one of the undesired reactions caused by incompatible glass or colors mixing?

-Jess

YellowBlueMud_21_32.jpg

Was looking at my mibs, yet again, and picked up what I alway thought of as a swirl and discovered that it is actually a snake cork. It is technically a 3 color because of the hairs of Ox but I put it here anyway. I had to use backlight and blacklight to show what is goin' on here. I think it's HTF, but that's relative. Thanks

Bruce

cork white snake1.jpg

cork white snake2.jpg

cork white snake3.jpg

Hi Ron, thanks for adding to what I was thinking about in regards to the black outline on the corks. I was mostly thinking about one glass color going atop another, didn' t mean to imply a mixing of two color, but influencing how one color can go over another & appear to produce another color between them; particularly my Vitro Tigereyes, where a blue or purple meets an orange,  there often is a tracer line between them showing up as a black or a  mud brown line.  I have a marble I've kept because it shows to me how marble colors can go into the entire marble, as well as on the surface . It also shows something else- there is a black tracer line that outlines the entire corkscrew in the Akro marble. the chip still shows solid red & blue, but the black tracer is interrupted. Either the black line somehow was only on the surface, or the translucent red was chipped off, letting the basic blue to show without being topped by a glazing of red. That seems to be the easiest way to get a tracer line between two colors,  As to whither there are three colors involved that way, it's subjective, seems like a chicken or egg type of conversation to me either way, it's like adding eye liner to a pretty woman, just makes the eye a little prettier for her.

here's my akro pic.... I need to get one of those macro lenses, hope you can see the chip well enough....thanks for talking, wish we all could have talks in person

#50a.jpg

1 hour ago, Chad G. said:

very refreshing looking mibs, nice and clean, Talk about color correctness, great find, almost identical color, probably not to far apart coming out of the machine Jess !!

My thoughts too! Especially with that odd 'cobra neck' shape in the Blue cork on both (or cobra hood, is that what they're called? Not a marble term, the actual snake in the wild, a King Cobra).
I like the idea that these two marbles have probably been together for a hundred years, pretty cool to think about.
Thanks Chad!