Dug Heaton mib pics

Chad G.

Not that great of a cleaning job I know but they'll get there. Most are named some aren't. I cleaned a couple more flats last night, A bunch of volcanoes 🌋  a few fire crackers  💣  some other named and some really nice oddballs' The pics are comin I'm just a little slow  🐢  gettin there !! The little wooden Heaton sign and a bunch more, two for every manufacturer were made for me by a very good friend, a very nice little touch to the old display. Right now I'm " HEATON HAPPY "  :)

png.35.PNG

png.34.PNG

png.33.PNG

png.31.PNG

png.30.PNG

DSC02592.JPG

png.28.PNG

png.27.PNG

png.25.PNG

png.24.PNG

png.23.PNG

png.22.PNG

DSC02696.JPG

DSC02702.JPG

DSC02704.JPG

DSC02705.JPG

DSC02706.JPG

DSC02709.JPG

DSC02720.JPG

DSC02723.JPG

DSC02727.JPG

DSC02591.JPG

DSC02594.JPG

DSC02596.JPG

DSC02717.JPG

DSC02751.JPG

DSC02732.JPG

DSC02763.JPG

DSC02760.JPG

DSC02738.JPG

DSC02739.JPG

DSC02737.JPG

DSC02733.JPG

DSC02597.JPG

DSC02731.JPG

DSC02730.JPG

Are there pics. here of Heaton marbles that have names which haven't  been  in the video or pics of marbles from the recent dig.  At the end of the video it was suggested that there were other named marbles, but did'nt go further to describe & name them. Chad, all your pics. were lovely, but just made me want  Ids. on them, if they were know Heatons before digs, when they were dug, etc.-  They just teased me!:computer-18:

28 minutes ago, bonniemarbles said:

Are there pics. here of Heaton marbles that have names which haven't  been  in the video or pics of marbles from the recent dig.  At the end of the video it was suggested that there were other named marbles, but did'nt go further to describe & name them. Chad, all your pics. were lovely, but just made me want  Ids. on them, if they were know Heatons before digs, when they were dug, etc.-  They just teased me!:computer-18:

I see you already saw this thread:

Named Heaton types - General Marble & Glass Chat - Marble Connection

I'm not aware of many if any Heatons having been named before the recent digs.  

Chuck? 

@cheese

11 minutes ago, bonniemarbles said:

Is that a magazine one can get hold of? I just acquired  64 dug Heaton marbles, several are very much  like a couple I've posted in the ID section & are so distinct, maybe these are in a list  that isn't familiar to a lot of people :dunno: Anyone???

I just looked, it's a book! Available on Amazon and probably other places. 😃

6 hours ago, bonniemarbles said:

I got these from the people at the last two digs, Chuck has listed all known named Heaton, the rest I have pics of are either rare or remain unnamed. I've only taken pics of about a 10thof the mibs I have, lots of cleaning sorting and making flats. I won't be done for a while. Chucks list is quite complete and there are plenty of unnamed ones on the other Heaton thread he has as well. Eventually yes they will all be named, there's a good deal of people thinking up names as we speak, the diggers will agree on a name and then move on to the next one, some will probably never be named, just Heatons.

ALL OF THE NAMED HEATON ARE ON THE THREAD PROVIDED ABOVE. CHUCK AND THE OTHERS WHO DUG ARE THE ONES WHO NAMED THEM. THATS WHAT COMES ALONG WITH DISCOVERING A MARBLE YOU GET TO NAME IT. THE PIX I TOOK AREN"T THAT GREAT BUT CHUCK HAD NO PROBLEM IDENTIFYING EVERY ONE. I DIDN'T WASTE THE TIME LABELING THEM BECAUSE THEY ALLREADY ARE ON THE POSTED THREAD. SOME OF THE BEST PICS I TOOK ARE OF RARER ONES THAT ARENT NAMED YET. THAT'S PROBABLY WHY YOU DON'T RECOGNIZE THEM. SO WE'LL ALL HAVE TO WAIT TILL THE DIGGERS NAME EM. THE ANTICIPATION IS PART OF THE FUN. YES I HAVE THAT BOOK, IT ISN'T WORTH THE PAPER IT'S PRINTED ON, THE PICS ARE DARK AND BLURRY, IF YOU CAN BELIEVE IT WORSE THAN MINE, GOOD FIRE STARTER, A LITTLE EXPENSIVE AT $15.00 THOUGH, STANLEY BLOCK IN MY OPINION PUT OUT SOME OF THE BEST I.D. AND PRICE GUIDE BOOKS EVER PRINTED, AT $40.00 TO $50.00 THEY MIGHT SEEM A LITTLE HIGH BUT THEY HAVE MORE THAN PAYED FOR THEMSELVES MANY TIMES OVER FOR ME.

LINK https://marbleconnection.com/topic/26001-named-heaton-types/

I had not looked at the PAM book in years. The only Heaton names mentioned are: Dragon's Blood, Robins Egg, Green Snake, Fawn Swirl, Dad's Fancy, and Johnny Reb. But there probably aren't a lot of people who could put these names together with the corresponding marbles. I do believe Robin's Egg has stuck though.

I think I opened that book once and put it away. Make that twice counting 10 minutes ago. I got it as a gift, believe me I never would have bought it, yes dark and one view pics mostly, I looked at a guinea and couldn't tell if it was real or contemp, it didn't even show the seam in that pic. Like I said good fire starter, I believe you're right the only name that stuck was robins egg, I haven't heard people call the the other names but a few times years ago..

Not many Heatons were named before the digs, or at least not with names that the community accepted and recognized. Similarly to the Pennsboro Alley digs, several got named along in that time too. Tater bugs, blue skies, the blush line, sweet baby greys, and others from the Pennsboro dig years. We pulled out some Heaton marbles that we felt needed names because they stood out and named them. There are several other great marbles that haven't been named but here's what we looked for... variety (a good array of examples of color and pattern), good color, better glass, general eye appeal, and being common enough that examples will be available. There's not much sense in naming a bunch of one-of-a-kind marbles because nobody else will have one and the name won't be used. We named some that are very common and some that are very rare and most are somewhere in the middle. Then we tried to come up with names that fit the marble. Most or all of the names imply what the marble looks like or they make sense when you see the marble. The Honey Biscuit looks like honey and biscuit colors, the firecracker looks like firecrackers, and so on. We tried several names for several marbles and when we agreed unanimously on a name, we knew it was a good name. Some just got named incidentally, like the rotten robin. I never really thought I was naming it. Lots of times when someone dug a robin egg, they would shout "robin egg!" and so when these brown robin eggs started popping up, I was saying "I found a Robin egg with brown on it", and then I said it was like a rotten robin egg, which evolved into Rotten Robin and it stuck. I think we are pretty much finished naming them, we don't want to name everything out there and make it tedious. It was appropriate for Heaton to get the attention they deserve and be represented in the collecting world with it's share of named types. I haven't posted a picture of the Robin's Egg in that thread and I should (we did not name that one). Also the Sweet Potato and the Blue oatmeal. I need to get on that. In fact I will post the Sweet Potato over there now. I posted one Heaton with ribbons of white and oxblood in a transparent green base and put a picture of the head of Medusa in the photo because it reminded me of her head of snakes. I have been seeing that type marble referred to as a Heaton Medusa now because of that, so maybe that's a named type too, not sure. It does fit IMO. In the end, what sticks is what matters. I've seen Heatons being sold and discussed by the names we gave them so I think they are generally accepted.

-Chuck

36 minutes ago, wvrons said:

Heaton Triple ingot.

DSC07036.JPG.345c3eee5ab01e1f436471f346357745.JPGDSC07039.JPG.8bbc3bc6c5114fb981f5f3d7affdd4a4.JPG

Man, the clean machine, musta hit that one with the power washer !! Good symmetry for what it is  :thup: I got alot of doubles, nice and even, ones almost round at nearly 1" and clean just like yours, believe it or not it's a volcano, a perfectly named mib, frac city. I got some great mibs, absolutely no complaints here, I should've purchased more. They sure look good in those flats." Nice Heaton Ron" I like the abstract ones, I got a barbell also, I know I need to submit more pix.

I have spent the last two days cleaning and sorting Heatons. Not a dent in them yet. Still looking for all the named ones. Will put the named ones with the names in one case. I have seen some here which I let go that I only have one of.  But I have more chances to find some ahead this winter. Maybe if I get to them ?  Good thing I am retired. I will fill a case with the odd balls. I also put the non Heatons that were dug there in a separate case. 

Hello Ron,

How many "non Heaton" mibs are you finding Ron ? I believe I have around 6 - 8 % ratio that I can't call Heaton, the few cats that are obvious Bogard, I think I have 2 of them both green, but a bunch of the common white base just don't look Heaton to me. Some pics later, just wondering on your percentage thus far ??

Chad G.

Over the past year and more, I would say not high but 1 or 2% of all the marbles found at the Heaton site were not produced by Heaton or Bogard. Definitely found a few old slags, a couple or more old handmades, Akro corks and patches, Master, Ravenswood, Cairo Novelty, Marble King, Vitro, three or four Peltier that I saw. Maybe some I forgot. Probably the largest mixture of marbles not produced at this site, more than any other. Always a few odd ones that don't belong at every site. But the Heaton site had more of a variety than any site I know of.  

All and many more dug at Heaton factory site. 

5/8 Heaton and 7/8 Akro cork

DSC07013.JPG.fd4e68e63a7c1b4100cce46587b2a7fa.JPG

Ravenswood Blue Raven

732370046_DSC07001(1).JPG.d9802ceeac5c10dc5b0dd829193f0123.JPG

Ravenswood Green Raven

DSC07007.JPG.cd7b7e744956b1cb5a633e5b009d4046.JPG

Old vintage sag. I saw 2 blue & white and 2 carmel colored ones. 

DSC07012.JPG.7eeb78f738fcff54a2f2f24a440af63e.JPG

Slag

DSC07011.JPG.96f070e360fa565d5f8de837c76f5ef2.JPG

Heaton did produce Cat Eyes. The banana style cat eyes from the Heaton site were made by Bogard. The banana cat eyes are single colors of, most green, blue, orange, white, a few yellow and one two color banana blue and burnt orange color.  I have the banana cat eyes in original bags. Good chance that Heaton may have produced a few of the banana cats. But according to what past workers and Jack Bogard told me. Is that CE Bogard and Jack Bogard produced the big majority of the banana cat eyes made at the Heaton factory. I tried not include many numbers of cat eyes in any Heatons that I sold.  I did keep several for my self. Most of the dug banana cat eyes are green and have lots of hit marks. Most diggers picked up very few cat eyes if they knew it was a cat eye. I have always picked them up there for the last 25 years. I wanted the examples to learn from. The standard 4 vane cat eyes are very difficult to separate from Marble King. If possible to separate ? some can be but many I cannot.  The plastic bags of Heaton Cat Eyes are not difficult to find. I see 3-4 or more bags of them for sale every year. The original bags of the banana cat eyes from the Heaton site are very difficult to see or find. I have only seen 4 or 5 bags in twenty five years. 

• 5 months later...

I have been adding to this thread with different Heaton types for a couple years now. I plan to continue to as I find more types and variations. There are 3 pages, go to page 3 for the shots of the ones I've documented from the digs. 

• Like 1