27 minutes ago, Ric said:

NIce bags, Al - every header is different, and I hadn't seen the Cat's Eyes before.

If it was a "Marble King" mesh bag with Chinese Checker marbles it was probably one of Pink's jobber bags from a time before Marble King actually made marbles. In fact, I can't recall seeing a mesh bag with Marble King marbles in it (although, my memory is not what it used to be, either). Have you ever seen MK marbles in a mesh bag? Al?

Marble King Chinese Checkers Poly Bag:

RicMKChineseCheckers.thumb.jpg.ca5a451994659ab585007d38841d81a2.jpg

I decided it's probably a good idea to add some "key words" with pictures for searching's sake!

No, and like I said Ric I can't really remember wish I could, if for sure MK or not, just that I had them and after the move they where gone, along with a few other choice items.

1 hour ago, Al Oregon said:

Ric - all my MK mesh bags have Alleys or Peltier Rainbos in them.

Do you think these were from when Berry Pink (The Marble King) was still jobbering marbles and not actually producing any of his own?

Two-sided Ohio Arts Tin Litho Checkers Board (with marbles and wooden checkers - made in Japan - found in it). I have heard the marbles referred to as "Mt. Fujis".

RicOhioArtsChineseCheckerA.thumb.jpg.0c39e36d8b316e90a9be23c7e13c1f30.jpg

RicOhioArtsChineseCheckerB.thumb.jpg.105b265736eadbbac1f501509c9f6cd7.jpg

RicOhioArtsChineseCheckerC.thumb.jpg.90c416bec8705a79f2935374da48e9ba.jpg

1 hour ago, I'llhavethat1 said:

Not tin, actually some type of cardboard (or paper mache) best I can tell.

Nice, I have never seen one like it. It looks to be in excellent condition. Is there anything on the back?

Just to be sure, I am referring to the second board you posted - surely, it's metal of some sort - any markings on it?

I thought I was the lone ranger when it came to Chinese checkers boards and bags, the bag I have is like a cheesecloth type of material and has begun to unwind so I don't move it much, glad to see so many great examples, I really like the one I'llhavethat1's cardboard or chip board or like he said, "whatever it's made of" board, cool lookin, I've never seen one like it. All good each and every one a great piece of history, my little nieces and nephews didn't even know how to paly checkers till I taught them, funny how many things change over time with only a few taking any note. That old cardboard and pressed board sure withstood the test of time, looks almost like it was bought yesterday, the quality of so many of the old board games and toys was outstanding, made to last and take years of use and a little abuse and still perform and look basically like new. " Great submissions all" my folder is looking good much I didn't have in there before, now saved to an external hard drive I have a direct link to so it won't be lost if I crash. The really good thing is I'm free to share it all. The basis of the forum, sharing and learning, I'll say again, "a great place to be"

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Nice, I have never seen one like it. It looks to be in excellent condition. Is there anything on the back?

Just to be sure, I am referring to the second board you posted - surely, it's metal of some sort - any markings on it?

It's been packed away for a while so I got it out for a closer look.  You're correct, there is a pulp/paper/cardboard backing and the upper face is metal.  here is a pic of the bottom

20210125_191812[1].jpg

Thanks for taking the time to check it out. This old game looks new. It seems like the marbles would have been stored under that cardboard prior to sale. And if the cardboard has ever been removed, I am surprised someone took the time to put it back in place, since It doesn't really seem to serve any purpose. Have you ever had the cardboard out? Do you think the marbles might still be in there?

It's a very cool game. I did some poking around and saw a few other pics of the game online - none of them had the cardboard in place, at least where I could tell.

Ric - about the "MK" bags that I showed.  I think they were from the Berry Pink days but I guess there could be an overlap when Marble King first started.  Although, I would not think they used mesh bags when they started.  I'll be glad when Gerald Witcher's MK book gets done.  I think he has a ton of answers.

I agree, Al. It would be great to have some more authoritative information about Marble King. As far as I know, Berry Pink was known as the Marble King long before he joined Sellers Peltier to found Marble King - the marble manufacturer.

As far as I know all the Hop Ching mesh bags of Chinese checker marbles contain Alley marbles. As well with most or all of the MARBLE KING yellow/orange checkerboard pattern header plastic bags also contain Alley Chinese checker marbles. There are several Hop Ching wood frame Chinese checker boards and different color mesh bags of Hop Ching Chinese checker marbles. 

• 1 year later...
15 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Found this today saved it from under a pile of stuff .:banana006:

8 bucks..👍Any idea on year these were made ..

20220622_145802.jpg

20220622_154006.jpg

I'm guessing 1940's? Saw some like yours selling for 23 too over 50 bucks (the highest one had the original box but no original marbles)

8 bucks...great grab 😊

The Hop Ching boards were by Jack Pressman and used Alley marbles from the mid 1930's to the mid 1940's. There are several different Hop Ching boards. This is what finally put Alley in big profit with marbles. This is why he had to move to the St.Marys WV location. For a larger building and triple his numbers of machines. He could not make marbles fast enough to supply the demand for the Hop Ching Chinese Checker game boards. 

The large board is rare. It is Ming Check and it was sold with 7/8 inch Vitro marbles.  It is size 24 inches by 24 inches. 

DSC07571.JPG.22a553cd09a09c39dffaf47b96b242b8.JPGDSC07570.JPG.34acc1051aae0a0690e2c05284aaf7ae.JPGDSC07569.JPG.505a512ba32427902bfc7fac795f535f.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crashbelt said:

Here's some original boxes from my solitaire collection. Chad Valley, Glevum, Gibson, Ayres, Jaques and WS Bavaria I think.

Always nice to have them with original sets even if tatty! Some have survived 100-150 years.

20220623_142322.thumb.jpg.00ba8a5ed68f83e9fab35acda8f8f201.jpg

Wow Dave, impressive, great collection Dave, this one has been for floating around for sale on Ebay for a long, long time (years) I was wondering if you had any perspective on it or could place a value on it ??  Obviously not what their asking or it would have been gone long ago, probably because of the most common onionskin color around for mibs but that's just my take. Curious what you think ??

LINK :   https://www.ebay.com/itm/183564971562?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338722076&customid=&toolid=10050

image.png.a5aa16689d70a6ee49753d6423ffac2e.png

image.thumb.png.9390d0ca6178bd54480f693f8e664d61.png

• Like 1
  • Award 1

Thanks for posting this Chad - I've never seen a set made for the German domestic market. I bought quite a lot from Germany over the years and read much of the research and that's the first I've seen of one, so they must have been made in far smaller numbers than sets for the English market. As you see I have quite a few surviving English boxes!

Great to learn something new, although I agree the Ebay pricing seems very optimistic.

I have this similar set (unboxed) on a nicer mahogany board, and the onions are more blue over white.

20220113_140215.thumb.jpeg.091c910c44e76534b3ade76b58aacc30.jpeg

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, crashbelt said:

Thanks for posting this Chad - I've never seen a set made for the German domestic market. I bought quite a lot from Germany over the years and read much of the research and that's the first I've seen of one, so they must have been made in far smaller numbers than sets for the English market. As you see I have quite a few surviving English boxes!

Great to learn something new, although I agree the Ebay pricing seems very optimistic.

I have this similar set (unboxed) on a nicer mahogany board, and the onions are more blue over white.

20220113_140215.thumb.jpeg.091c910c44e76534b3ade76b58aacc30.jpeg

Just curious if you'd ever seen a German Solitaire box like that one. I know the Germans produced nearly all the marbles of the era for the English board market as the earlier larger faceted marbles were phased out due to the high demand for smaller gameboard nibs. Thanks for the pic and for chiming in Dave, that German box is a first for me also, evidently not to many of them floating around ??

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wvrons said:

The Hop Ching boards were by Jack Pressman and used Alley marbles from the mid 1930's to the mid 1940's. There are several different Hop Ching boards. This is what finally put Alley in big profit with marbles. This is why he had to move to the St.Marys WV location. For a larger building and triple his numbers of machines. He could not make marbles fast enough to supply the demand for the Hop Ching Chinese Checker game boards. 

The large board is rare. It is Ming Check and it was sold with 7/8 inch Vitro marbles.  It is size 24 inches by 24 inches. 

DSC07571.JPG.22a553cd09a09c39dffaf47b96b242b8.JPGDSC07570.JPG.34acc1051aae0a0690e2c05284aaf7ae.JPGDSC07569.JPG.505a512ba32427902bfc7fac795f535f.JPG

Thank you sir...👍