The "Score!" thread. Post your exciting finds here...

9 minutes ago, PittsburghMarbles said:

Yes it’s a White based red peerless patch. Finding them with no splatter is nigh on impossible. However as the splatter is as made on most I don’t find it to be a detriment to the marble. 

It took me forever to find a clean set, 3-4 years & I was looking. The Kayo's a little weak on the stamp but the price was right and the marble perfect. Yes the box is repro, not goin the $1500.00 for an orig.

\image.thumb.png.32cd516f24d5946a097bebbb2b1b1d9b.png

image.thumb.png.5ece8616993a6beaac589f951b10ca8e.png

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PittsburghMarbles said:

^
super nice. From my experience; the Sandy, Kayo and Herbie ones are the hardest to find with good solid prints for some reason. I’d absolutely love to find the box but that’s probably impossible. Where did you get the “new” box from?

Feebay about 6 or 7 years ago., they're exactly like the orig. I'll keep an eye out, probably around $250.00 to $300.00 for a nice mint box. These pictures make the box look bowed in the middle but it's perfectly straight, Phil Thomas also made me a really nice custom box for them. Yes, Kayo was the last, most expensive and hardest to find followed by finding a herbie that had a good print, I lucked out on the Sandy. They made 400 of the 12 count repro boxes.

image.png

image.thumb.png.4fc0b478395f90d360e74e321fa6cb29.png

The wood is called "Wenge" Brazilian (I think?)

image.thumb.png.975b2911db21b6b653c535eb511efcd4.png

image.thumb.png.7fc43b77bb4978098fd47222dd20cc5c.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chad G. said:

They made 400 of the 12 count repro boxes.

I remember reading that they were numbered as a result of a lawsuit by Peltier. There were some distributed without numbering before the lawsuit as I recall. Did they make any in yellow?

The repos are very nice--and affordable I have #146 half filled with bottom finders. ( I have to start somewhere)

Of course as always, correct me if my memory is shorting out again.

Marble--On!!

Memory.jpg

1 hour ago, akroorka said:

I remember reading that they were numbered as a result of a lawsuit by Peltier. There were some distributed without numbering before the lawsuit as I recall. Did they make any in yellow?

The repos are very nice--and affordable I have #146 half filled with bottom finders. ( I have to start somewhere)

Of course as always, correct me if my memory is shorting out again.

Marble--On!!

Memory.jpg

Yes they made some numbered Yellow boxes as well, I also believe there was a lawsuit that brought about the numbering, though I've never seen a repro w/o numbers

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, akroorka said:

Thanks wormie!

In general you are not supposed to correct an old person with memory problems---unless they ask😁.

Marble--On!! 

Haha well let's chalk this up to and old Pearson helping an older person for memories sake 😉😁

• Award 1

2 hours ago, akroorka said:

They all look old to me--nice find--if you pulled in the purse-strings--under $40 I hope.

There are a bunch of older WVS in that bag--ya never know do ya??

Marble--On!!

Yea I paid $40 very begrudgingly (couldnt resist all those squiggly ones) He was asking $55 so at least i got them for a little cheaper. If I post pics of the bag contents, could you tell me how you think I fared so I have a better idea in the future? Thanks for your input, I appreciate you! 

P.S. I got to handpick the bag if that makes a difference (which I imagine it does or would if I knew as much as you all do about marbles haha) 

8 minutes ago, Jzoook6 said:

If I post pics of the bag contents, could you tell me how you think I fared so I have a better idea in the future?

This is the place to do it--I suck at WVS ID but there are plenty here that will chime in.

No worry--no judgement here.

$40 for a nice bag of marbles--in this day and age--good buy.

Bring them on!!

Marble--On!!

4 hours ago, akroorka said:

This is the place to do it--I suck at WVS ID but there are plenty here that will chime in.

No worry--no judgement here.

$40 for a nice bag of marbles--in this day and age--good buy.

Bring them on!!

Marble--On!!

Thank you! I'm really just curious if I overpaid. I think a good chunk are Jabo--do Jabos pretty much always feel the same? 

IMG_5462.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.4c8a9cd69b9add2d5d99c6ce61a2bcd6.jpeg

You did OK.

I see a few Jabo and Vacor--not many.

There may be a few Akro and I like the slags. A Pelt or three. Most are WVS.

All Antique malls have a "Marble Guy" and many second hand stores do as well.

These look picked--but not that well.

I would have dropped 40 bucks--just sayin!!

Marble--On!!

• Like 1

Don't look like Jabos to me.  You have a variety of Manufacturers.  Whether or not you over paid will depend on the condition of the marbles.  Anyway paying $40.00 for an in-hand learning lesson is cheap for someone just starting out.  There are at least 10-15 mibs in there that are worth the price you paid if mint or at least near mint IMO.  I have only been collecting since July of 2021 and I am still a novice, but have learned a ton from the people in here and you can also.  I am posting a in the wild find just below and I paid a little over your price and consider it a near home run.  In the wild seems to be harder all the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, akroorka said:

You did OK.

I see a few Jabo and Vacor--not many.

There may be a few Akro and I like the slags. A Pelt or three. Most are WVS.

All Antique malls have a "Marble Guy" and many second hand stores do as well.

These look picked--but not that well.

I would have dropped 40 bucks--just sayin!!

Marble--On!!

Thats what I pretty much figured value-wise, thank you! I think it was a good educational experience at the very least. and they are pwetty. 

• Like 1