*Slag Glass Scores*

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, akroorka said:

Search "Houze Glass" candle holders. A great find for sure.

Houze On!!!

Did a bit of research and yes indeed, it would appear to be Houze Glass indeed! Since I've only been collecting slag glass for barely a year, and never acquired anything Houze over the years, wasn't sure. Also wasn't absolutely sure if Akro ever produced anything related to candles. I also saw a set of candlestick holders on Ebay (different colors but the same) up for auction for $68. Same "851" on the bottom also. The seller claims that they are 1920's. The sellers feedback/rating is 100%, having been a seller since 2008. I know with Ebay things can easily be shady, but I'll look at that info as a positive? And though I can't test it as of yet, I'm thinking this one that I have is UV reactive. Either way, I got it for under $10 so pretty happy with it. Thanks for the lead on that, Akro! 😊

16 hours ago, William said:

Awesome candlestick holders, also picked up today. Love em! In hand, it's like chocolate on peach with traces of midnight blue. Also unmarked so it's a mystery maker for now...

16344256629082644315595289603077.jpg

16344256951447856295099996060801.jpg

1634425723977219408013772865224.jpg

16344257505565508195993159999953.jpg

The "molding is similar compared to my single piece so I'm thinking Houze on this pair also 😊

2 hours ago, William said:

Did a bit of research and yes indeed, it would appear to be Houze Glass indeed! Since I've only been collecting slag glass for barely a year, and never acquired anything Houze over the years, wasn't sure. Also wasn't absolutely sure if Akro ever produced anything related to candles. I also saw a set of candlestick holders on Ebay (different colors but the same) up for auction for $68. Same "851" on the bottom also. The seller claims that they are 1920's. The sellers feedback/rating is 100%, having been a seller since 2008. I know with Ebay things can easily be shady, but I'll look at that info as a positive? And though I can't test it as of yet, I'm thinking this one that I have is UV reactive. Either way, I got it for under $10 so pretty happy with it. Thanks for the lead on that, Akro! 😊

Yes, Akro made clear glass candle holders as well as a couple different slag glass ones, pretty high dollar if you have the mint set. The slag glass ones are even more $$ than these are. 

LINK https://www.ebay.com/itm/164843933361?hash=item266176ceb1:g:5YwAAOSwL9tgjbaN

LINK https://www.ebay.com/str/akroagatearsenal?_bkw=candle+holders

Just a side note, they probably have anything you're looking for if you ask them, largest Akro store period, everything's just not listed.

image.thumb.png.560bb1f39f659fcb814f73113621fdd1.png

47 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

Yes, Akro made clear glass candle holders as well as a couple different slag glass ones, pretty high dollar if you have the mint set. The slag glass ones are even more $$ than these are. 

LINK https://www.ebay.com/itm/164843933361?hash=item266176ceb1:g:5YwAAOSwL9tgjbaN

LINK https://www.ebay.com/str/akroagatearsenal?_bkw=candle+holders

Just a side note, they probably have anything you're looking for if you ask them, largest Akro store period, everything's just not listed.

image.thumb.png.560bb1f39f659fcb814f73113621fdd1.png

Wow, they are identical  to mine in construction 

On 10/17/2021 at 9:37 AM, William said:

Wow, they are identical  to mine in construction 

I'm no expert but many of those look very similar, there are subtle differences, numbers, stamps, no stamps, shallow bottoms, deep bottoms, size of the actual candle hole etc..  Lots of variables !!  As you know they repop everything  now a days so you almost have to have a doctorate, time in hobby is your best friend I guess ?? I'd certainly google Houze & Akro & repros to discern the differences, there's a good bit of money involved ?? Yes or no it'll be very useful information later when you're perusing the shops. That link I gave you I believe is Roger & Claudia Hardy's store, so they really know there stuff, probably better than anyone. Yes the Akro "Jolly Roger"  named after him & the other mib he named after his wife "Claudia" both marbles were dug by Roger himself.

Here is a link to a sales page from the WV glass museum.

It shows the candle holder that you have with a model number, 851. The ad also explains some solid colors that these come in. I had to cut and paste into a Word document to read it, but it is legible. I do own this particular item.

I have purchased a few of these reprints and little research items that the museum has put together and I refer to them often—great work and well worth the investment.

I love the name that HouzeX uses for slag glass—MarbleX—pretty cool name. MarbleX came in a lot of different colors and combinations. I did see a RWB candle holder like this on a Google search—very cool indeed.

Of course these molds may have been sold and remade by another company. I have several of these and the model number is hard to make out on one of them but it is there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/230697084746

MarbleX—On!!!

1 hour ago, akroorka said:

Here is a link to a sales page from the WV glass museum.

It shows the candle holder that you have with a model number, 851. The ad also explains some solid colors that these come in. I had to cut and paste into a Word document to read it, but it is legible. I do own this particular item.

I have purchased a few of these reprints and little research items that the museum has put together and I refer to them often—great work and well worth the investment.

I love the name that HouzeX uses for slag glass—MarbleX—pretty cool name. MarbleX came in a lot of different colors and combinations. I did see a RWB candle holder like this on a Google search—very cool indeed.

Of course these molds may have been sold and remade by another company. I have several of these and the model number is hard to make out on one of them but it is there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/230697084746

MarbleX—On!!!

Awesome 👍

• Award 1

The Ebay listings are Larry Wells.  I am friends with him and see him two or three times a year. Yes Akro made candle holders. They made solid colors and some that were marbleized. One of the more rare color is opaque black. A pair would probably be over $1000.00. Certain colors are more rare than others. You need to be educated with these. Very slight differences makes a big change in price. Also Westite bought the Akro molds and made these after Akro closed. If you notice Larry's listing it is Westite/Akro .   Westite bought the shell ash tray molds and other Akro molds. Some they took the crow marking off of the molds.  Even the marking on the bottoms are not always 100% true. 

6 hours ago, wvrons said:

The Ebay listings are Larry Wells.  I am friends with him and see him two or three times a year. Yes Akro made candle holders. They made solid colors and some that were marbleized. One of the more rare color is opaque black. A pair would probably be over $1000.00. Certain colors are more rare than others. You need to be educated with these. Very slight differences makes a big change in price. Also Westite bought the Akro molds and made these after Akro closed. If you notice Larry's listing it is Westite/Akro .   Westite bought the shell ash tray molds and other Akro molds. Some they took the crow marking off of the molds.  Even the marking on the bottoms are not always 100% true. 

Thanks for sharing and shedding more light on this subject, Ron. I will continue to listen, look and learn 😊

12 hours ago, wvrons said:

Sorry Ron,

I think that you have this mixed up a bit.

Westite had a fire in 1936 and Akro purchased most of the molds from them. There are quite a few examples of Westite items, including the bathroom fixture line that were made by Akro.

Someone else (???) did purchase some of the molds from Akro once they closed and a few were reproduced and marketed.

Akro—On!!

• Like 1