rainbo?

Berryb

15 hours ago, Berryb said:

I thought the pattern on an MCR was more random. Thanks

Bruce

pelt swirl1.jpg

pelt swirl2.jpg

I also think it is a multicolor Rainbo (MCR, as Chad puts it). Multicolor Swirls (MCSs) usually have three colors in addition to the base but they don't always swirl - some have straight seams. As for NLR or Rainbo, I'd call it a tweener - older than the vast majority of Rainbos and younger than the vast majority of NLRs. Champion Jrs. have four ribbons so I don't think it is one of those.

41 minutes ago, Fire1981 said:

I don’t know the difference between a Champion or a Jr.

Honestly, I think it's the size of the bag they came in - I'd consider the yellow/white Champions too, don't you?

22 hours ago, Ric said:

Nice Al, thanks a lot - any idea how the dark-based ones became known as Champion Jrs, or am I off base?

The only thing that I have heard is because they were found in the Champion Jr. bags by Peltier.  Other than that....?  It is confusing also to try and say which types fit so, I think, most collectors ignore the Champ Jr. name.  Also, using the "Champ" name confuses ID's with Champion Agate Co.

2 hours ago, Al Oregon said:

The only thing that I have heard is because they were found in the Champion Jr. bags by Peltier.  Other than that....?  It is confusing also to try and say which types fit so, I think, most collectors ignore the Champ Jr. name.  Also, using the "Champ" name confuses ID's with Champion Agate Co.

Thanks Al, that's sort of what I thought too - kind of a stretch to call them Champion Jrs. when so many other types were found in the same bags, and I will be dropping the term for ID from here on out.

On 6/23/2021 at 3:54 PM, Ric said:

I also think it is a multicolor Rainbo (MCR, as Chad puts it). Multicolor Swirls (MCSs) usually have three colors in addition to the base but they don't always swirl - some have straight seams. As for NLR or Rainbo, I'd call it a tweener - older than the vast majority of Rainbos and younger than the vast majority of NLRs. Champion Jrs. have four ribbons so I don't think it is one of those.

I'd call Bruce's a tweener also. 

A Multicolor Rainbo could be solidly NLR ... but the structure and texture on this one seem to be maybe just a little bit later.