Been a great ride

William

Miken Sports, producer of top of the line composite softball and baseball bats, along with the Batting helmets you see on TV worn by MLB players, has been competing with Easton, Demarini, and others since 1998 too provide the best possible equipment for players worldwide. More often than not, you would see our bats at the top of the list for performance and design. Not too many years ago, Rawlings purchased Miken Sports from the Jarden Corporation, and most recently, Rawlings also purchased Easton. Rawlings has been trying to figure a way too merge Easton with Miken, combining all the knowledge into one company larger company instead of two "smaller" ones. Well. We had a company meeting yesterday and the powers that be have determined that a merger isn't possible for various reasons and my place of employment, Miken Sports, will be closing it's doors anywhere from 18 to 24 months from now. I've been there since 2006. They are giving us premium pay, effective this past Tuesday, and a severance for those who stick around until the end. I had planned on retiring from this great company, now at 53, I have to kick around the thought "what can I do for a handful of years when my time is up"? Just wanted too share my kick in the teeth from yesterday. Hopefully China enjoys making this product, because that's where it was said manufacturing will be based. No wonder the "Made in the U.S.A." decals suddenly dissapeared a month or so ago. Thanks for listening 😕

• Sad 2

My sentiments exactly, you can only sellout so much of your society before there is none left at all, I have a strong point of view on this subject matter but will keep it to myself (for now)  I wish you the best William, my Father worked at Reynolds Metals and just made his early retirement age 3 months before they sold out !! A lucky man. The new owners walked into the cable plant 6 months prior and told the employees to get out, they were trespassing on private property, imagine the devastation after an average of 20 years or more of service having the rug pulled out from under you!! I feel for everyone in this position, hopefully the "Powers that be" will pull their head out at some point ??

:( 

You'll land on your feet.

My neighbor stuck it out with a company which was bought out and was going to for sure be closing its doors.  As her coworkers left and parts of the plant went quiet,  she mused on what she would do after she finally had to go.  But the final closure kept being pushed down the road.  It's five years later now and the few who stuck around are still working there.   I think ownership changed hands again.   The company isn't making what it used to be,  but another function was found for it. 

I'm sure I'll find a way. A group of gentleman just did a walkthrough with the plant manager, R&D (research and development), the director of operations, and leading this group of businessmen was a woman who I recognized instantly. The same woman who had been traveling too China to train production workers there. Funny because that venture failed and we ended up receiving all the equipment from that plant not to many years ago. They seem to think it will work this time over there I guess. Anyway, seeing this today makes me wonder about that 18-24 month window. Especially hearing one of them state "we can't waste time" 

Ran into an old friend who is chief maintenance at Precision Stainless, formerly APN Inc.,  a steel fab company right around the corner from where I currently work. They used to produce things such as steel elbows, crosses, T's, nuts, etc; but switched over not to long ago too making and supplying steel tubing and fixtures for dairy, pharmaceutical, etc. I worked there for a few years, 2003-2006, until switching over to composites. Guess there's still some of the old gang there, naming them off. Possibility, familiar with the work and the people. Same distance, 17 miles. Other possible options would be alot further too bigger towns or cities (I'm right smack dab in the middle of small town USA) When it comes to winter driving in the early morning hours, the closer the better. This place did cross my mind before unexpectedly bumping into my buddy, who actually recognized me before I did him! (Been years since I saw him last, he had a good head of hair back then, now bald!) Oddly enough, I also ran into a lady I know about two weeks ago while stopping into a restaurant that's established back where these businesses are located. She has worked there since I was there also. Hot wings in hand, we chatted for about 10 minutes about each other, work, families,etc. She then stated "Bill, we bring you and a few others up in conversation occasionally, the good old days!" Hmmm. Two meetings in 2 weeks. One before and one after I received my news about the closure. Coincidence?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

The term "A shoe in" is ringing rather loudly in my ears !!  :thup:

We'll see! Decorah, Iowa has opportunity as does Lacrosse,Wisconsin but if I can stick with the shorter commute that would be great. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Gina Macias said:

William, I am so sorry you have been going through this. Gina

It's only work...Life finds a way, thank  you for the thoughts, but you worry about you and recovery  😊

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, William said:

Still think anything short of a miracle but it's uplifting to see the State is getting involved 👍

20210806_115421.jpg

I got my fingers crossed man, hopefully common sense will win out over the almighty dollar !!

7 hours ago, Peltier Mibber said:

For what it's worth.

20210505_152319.thumb.jpg.4acc9dcd5baee0063158e4beff068c03_kindlephoto-1465303.jpg

That was a fun day for sure...We all clocked around noon that day (was before they fired 2nd shift back up), had a cookout with games such as horseshoes, ring toss, etc. I do recall for the group photo that the Director of Operations's wife was doing the camera work, but once we got situated on the ball diamond, she realized she had forgotten the camera!! They lived right in town so she ran home to get it but took almost a half hour for what should have been a few minutes! Found out she made a "stop" on the way back! Think we lost a couple people for the picture while waiting but fun times! 

• 3 weeks later...

So it begins, as I expected it would. We haven't heard a peep from Rawlings since it's big announcement of Miken's closing, but some of the more experienced people are moving on. My longtime friend Mike Kasten will be departing after this week for City Brewery in Lacrosse, Wisconsin. He has accepted a position on 3rd shift The money is good and their contribution too 401k is quite generous from what he tells me. He started at Miken 2 years after I did as a molder and by 2013 became 2nd shift Supervisor. Covid19 came along, taking away both that title and 2nd shift. Also, a young man I trained personally for the title of lead in the Surface Prep department 6 years ago for day shift had his interview Friday in Onalaska, Wisconsin for a 3rd shift position at a cheese factory that will pay him $22 an hour starting. I'll miss them both for sure! Alot of experience and talent that will be missed! There's only a few left, me included, that have done and worked every process there. Now minus 2. Can't say I can blame them, nobody knows what the job market will be like a year from now when this place projects too be closing the doors. With winter around the corner, I'm going to stick around for the time being, after much thought of course. Roll the dice. My focus is still with Precision Stainless around the corner from Miken. But not yet, going to keep riding for the time being!

• Sad 1

My good friend made his rounds this morning, his last day after 11 years...I took down my 5 year service bat off the wall this morning for the first time in 10 years too preserve the memories....1 by 1 I will be adding signatures until it's full. 

16299286872211614901133238805870.jpg

16299287096506610573939119681685.jpg

16299287404936316000668558512541.jpg

16299287736581988629802642570745.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Went back to work part time, just finished my 2nd week! Plans are still set for Miken Sports too close their doors and transfer production over to China, where they are already producing Easton bats. 

Estimated time of closing is between April and June. 

Little by little, I thought that I would share some pics of my daily haunts since 2006. This is Surface Prep, the department that I ran for over 10 years...first pic is the handle gluing robot...second pic, the CNC...third pic, 1 of 6 sanding lathes...4th pic, silicone barrels waiting to be loaded into the robot...5th pic, the barrel saw...6th pic, another shot of one of two sanding robots....and the last pic, a look at the department.

Man, I have pushed many thousands of bats through this room over the years...gonna miss it!

20221208_152104.jpg

20221208_151816.jpg

20221208_151744.jpg

20221208_151714.jpg

20221208_151704.jpg

20221208_151617.jpg

20221208_151558.jpg

• Wow 1

My oldest son just switched from being a Machinist (just not happy) to working in a cheese factory ( very happy).

He is making more money than he ever did--go figure (string cheese).

I worked in cheese when I was in high school--my mother sent me straight to the basement to take a shower (aged Romano) after 10 hours you got used to the smell😁. I still love the funky stuff🦨.

Do whatever turns your cork!!

1 hour ago, William said:

Went back to work part time, just finished my 2nd week! Plans are still set for Miken Sports too close their doors and transfer production over to China, where they are already producing Easton bats. 

Estimated time of closing is between April and June. 

Little by little, I thought that I would share some pics of my daily haunts since 2006. This is Surface Prep, the department that I ran for over 10 years...first pic is the handle gluing robot...second pic, the CNC...third pic, 1 of 6 sanding lathes...4th pic, silicone barrels waiting to be loaded into the robot...5th pic, the barrel saw...6th pic, another shot of one of two sanding robots....and the last pic, a look at the department.

Man, I have pushed many thousands of bats through this room over the years...gonna miss it!

20221208_152104.jpg

20221208_151816.jpg

20221208_151744.jpg

20221208_151714.jpg

20221208_151704.jpg

20221208_151617.jpg

20221208_151558.jpg

I miss work too, I loved my job, I was a shipfitter (welder) by trade then the dreaded disability struck (Back problems). I actually used to sing @ work, kinda funny but being a welder is something I wanted to be since I was a kid. I can say I've done it all except nuke (x-rayed welding) the nuke welders used to weld the stainless piping coming from the reactor when I was in the Navy stationed on the Enterprise in drydock for refueling in Bremerton WA. The crew flew into work and left every day in their own private helicopter they parked on the flightdeck.

• 5 weeks later...

Over the holidays, as expected, lots of folks use PTO too spend extra time with loved ones, or just too add a few more days for a lengthy vacation work free.

I worked all the days available between Christmas and New Year's Day, a couple of short work weeks. I especially had fun getting my mind and my hands wrapped around Helmet manufacturing.

Keep in mind that these same helmets are the helmets you will see on TV, (or in person if you attend MLB games), that the players wear as they step into the batter's box. O

Pretty cool, huh? I love my job. I still pray every day that somehow this outsourcing will not happen. At least the helmet manufacturing will stay in the good ole USA (being relocated to St. Louis where Rawlings is based). Still have my fingers crossed that softball and baseball bat manufacturing by some miracle stays as well 🤞

20221228_132027.jpg

20221228_132115.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, William said:

Over the holidays, as expected, lots of folks use PTO too spend extra time with loved ones, or just too add a few more days for a lengthy vacation work free.

I worked all the days available between Christmas and New Year's Day, a couple of short work weeks. I especially had fun getting my mind and my hands wrapped around Helmet manufacturing.

Keep in mind that these same helmets are the helmets you will see on TV, (or in person if you attend MLB games), that the players wear as they step into the batter's box. O

Pretty cool, huh? I love my job. I still pray every day that somehow this outsourcing will not happen. At least the helmet manufacturing will stay in the good ole USA (being relocated to St. Louis where Rawlings is based). Still have my fingers crossed that softball and baseball bat manufacturing by some miracle stays as well 🤞

20221228_132027.jpg

20221228_132115.jpg

Things may change to your advantage Brother, I certainly hope so !!

• Like 2

Hope so! Updated information has the closing taking place between April and June. And I have noticed on 2 occasions people being walked through by management, looking at the equipment and robotics. Hopefully not potential buyers 😬

• Care 1