Akro Friday

That's not what I said.  I did not say molten glass would stick to cups not gouged with random grooves. I said the random grooves did not make a spiral patern. The purpose was to create some sort of friction to retain the gob from just being ejected prematurely before the stream was cut and dumped while it twisted. This is all explained in barkers patent drawings and description. This is a huge part of what I am writing.. without the signature spiral, Akro would have been just like all the rest. They were smart in buying into technology and marketing tactics. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2024 at 4:03 PM, akroorka said:

Alan, the grooves did serve a purpose, helping to spin the molten glass. I cannot disagree with what you have said--more than likely, imho, these spinner cups broke off of the foundation due to the heat and were replaced. Carbon is very heat insensitive but it will break down over time. The likely culprit is the way that these cups were attached.

Marble--On!!

We all appreciate your input teajayo--but.
The reason that Akro used carbon is because molten glass will not stick to it.
Marble—On!!

Cups didn't break off. They were held down by 6 screws that fastened the cup through its groove to the gear it sat on. Here’s a couple pictures and the description from the inventor.  In another sort of related thought.. I find it fascinating that some people think the cup(s) and the entire apparatus where basically made from junk spare parts hanging around or recycled. lol. that entire assembly... the cam driven arm, gears etcetera that held the cup, rotated and swung so fast, the human eye would not be able to process its movements from accepting a variegated molten gob, rotating, shears snipping, swinging and tilting to drop the spun, sheared gob on rollers in what appears to be less then or at most a second because the whole arm holding the cup needed to swing back into position under the feeder to accept the next gob dropping from the feeder... or you ended up with a pool of molten glass on the floor... which did happen and explains tons of cool cullet chunks.

cupTopView.jpg

cupText.jpg

cupSideView.jpg

• Like 2

This is for Ric... told him I would post a pic of this marble which is Akro... that was doubted a few weeks back when Clifford H. sold one for 500 or so FB. $500 was a steal. They exist. Here's another example.. nicer one.

~ double stream oxblood ribbon twist

(btw.. I know it's not Friday, but I don't have anything other than Akro.. a few Master Made Marbles and a couple Master Glass Company examples that I keep to refer to the poor quality of later Master... so every day is an Akro day for me)

onyxclear_OxwhtBlue3xtwist.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Award 1

8 hours ago, teajayo said:

Who's crying?

That’s me crying and I agree with Ric, I doubt that these are Akro.
I would love to see the link to the original post if they have any cutoff marks.
Marble—On!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, akroorka said:

That’s me crying and I agree with Ric, I doubt that these are Akro.
I would love to see the link to the original post if they have any cutoff marks.
Marble—On!!

I don't believe Ric said they weren't Akro. I don't think he diagrees.  These are pretty well known, dug in Clarksburg examples. My friend Roger dug the the one with the white outer ribbon. Maybe it was Claudia.. I'm not sure.. I'll ask her next week. Too many irons in the fire right now.. but I assure you, I would never post any marble calling it Akro if it were not.

• Like 1
  • Award 2

10 hours ago, teajayo said:

I would never post any marble calling it Akro if it were not.

Ok--Roger and Claudia I will eat my shorts here🤢--I have a few from them that were doubted as well.

Marble--On!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, akroorka said:

Ok--Roger and Claudia I will eat my shorts here🤢--I have a few from them that were doubted as well.

Marble--On!!

I don't know what you mean. These types are pretty well known and not many were found. I apologize for posting so many that haven't been seen before.. but I don't collect many common types. Anyway, have a super friday. I'll post some nice tricolor specials and tight line spirals later that are not dug.

19 hours ago, teajayo said:

I don't know what you mean. These types are pretty well known and not many were found. I apologize for posting so many that haven't been seen before.. but I don't collect many common types. Anyway, have a super friday. I'll post some nice tricolor specials and tight line spirals later that are not dug.

I enjoy your dug Akro pics and the rare ones ,thanks for showing them 👍