Jimmy Hendrix?

Bax

I would have been happy for it being either Master or Akro (with a Heavy lean towards Akro), but exactly why I cast my vote for those up close pics...detail is everything. I think we can see now how difficult it was too see all the colors at first.

And like Ron said, maybe not a top shelf Sparkler, but still nice to have. And I wish it was in better shape...

On 8/22/2022 at 3:49 PM, Bax said:

So this is a top shelf marble? I realize it’s not mint.

'Scuse Me... While I Kiss The Sky.
I am switching stations and jumping on the Akro Train. Nice images—they do matter.
Yes it is a top shelf Akro, “Sparklers” always were and will continue to be, but condition is everything, keep it for future referencing at the very least. Collectors’ will look in lots for years and not find one.
They are not a “common” thing to find, many collectors will call them the first “Cateye” because of the injection process that was used.
Marble—On!!

Bo Stiff by far had one of the most impressive Sparkler collections I was lucky enough to see before he died. His collection was insane. As I recall he showed me Sparklers that were 8 colors. If he had turned his head I would have swallowed at least one of them 🔥

16 hours ago, ann said:

Ah hah! Another one!

If I recall correctly, it was what Bob Block said. Years ago, Bob opened the very 1st community marble collector's chat board on the net.

He gave lectures live in text. Questions and answers where he believed; based from years of association with marble collectors and research there of; 'Sparklers', accordingly, 'Are the first virtual Cat-eye'. That's to say, the process or technique began with Akro's Sparkler. 

So, Ann of your favorites; Sparkler and Cat-eye would be very close relatives. 

The quest though is: How in the heck did Akro do it? Bob said something like; 'They are injected with color'.  I think, that's, due to our inability to discover a patent where it may be explained, a mystery still. Certainly, nobody is sitting next to molten gobs and sticking needles to 'inject' colors 😇

Maybe a hint is within Marble King's Video not long ago showing how they make Cat-eyes. Simple: With a big pot of molten clear glass, just load shovels of your colored culet into the center of the pot, It sinks into the bottom and presto bingo, out of the nozzle where it's cut, you get cemeterial crossed cat-eyes. OK, I seriously, cannot buy that. 😉 I mean, near perfect cemeterial crossed thin lines of color just magically forms in fluidity as it sinks to the bottom of the tank?? I think perhaps, they are not revealing what's actually going on to protect their trade secrets. ;) And, is this "Injection" I cannot find a relative way to consider what MK says they are doing is 'Injection? Can you?

However, it may indicate what Akro did.  With a tank of clear; shoveling Red, Yellow, Green, Blue and White, similarly, into the center of their tank. 

How does it stay centered and colors cemeterial separated so it blends from one color to another? whelp, good question, regardless, perhaps MK gives us a clue to how cat-eyes are advanced Sparklers, just the same. ;) 

I always picture the injection thing (technical term) as more like the tip of a frosting nozzle centered in the transparent glass stream, with the hot glass colors fed into it by separate tubes/streams; you could in that way control what colors the different blades were. Akro probably only had a plain, central nozzle, and directed their color streams into it kind of willy-nilly. And what a nice result!

And no, Marble King ain`t gonna tell you everything about anything. They`re notoriously secretive.

There's a copy of a patent submission by Peltier 1931, granted 1934, showing how they have a stream of glass and into which they inject 6 color streams to produce 3 stripes on one side and 3 on the other #17 on the drawing.   It has been color coded so that you can see where the different colors of glass would originate and melt.

One doesn't know if they actually even produce this but it is on file!  I am sure that there are all sorts of wonderfully complex ways to inject glass into and onto other glass!

20220601_135335.jpg