Popeyes

boris64

I believe I'm seeing a transparent clear base here w whispy white strands ?? If so this is a killer Popeye, even if it's a multi color cork it's still a killer. A few close up shots, especially of the base would really help out in determining the proper I.D.

image.png.a39b29d212f9eb1c3d0f0f5832dc177e.png

3 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

I believe I'm seeing a transparent clear base here w whispy white strands ?? If so this is a killer Popeye, even if it's a multi color cork it's still a killer. A few close up shots, especially of the base would really help out in determining the proper I.D.

image.png.a39b29d212f9eb1c3d0f0f5832dc177e.png

I agree!

The marble in the last pics is a Popeye IMO but I would be wary of the black and oxblood. Good, well-lit, clear photos are needed. The was a torch worker adding the black and oxblood to these popeyes years ago and getting premiums for them. The torchwork is fairly obvious upon close inspection. If this is an un-tampered with popeye, it is worth some pretty good money. 

No, in modern times. It's been several years and I don't know who was doing it but someone was. I've seen their altered popeyes. They were selling for top dollar as real but they were torch worked. Yes, one at a time, carefully adding the color to the existing popeye marble.

Thanks cheese for the link.... very interesting... I have hundreds of Popeyes and lots of loops20x and 60x... I looked .... it’s a Popeye ... torched in ox??!!??!! Woe!!!! Never seen one.... but  I would think I would be able to pick something up with the loop....the oxblood didn’t look right...more red ... but it being the ox they use in milky s sounds right.... I will put up some more pics... maybe try to backlight it.... very cool marble... black and oxblood ....awesome!! I did find it with lots of ades and corkscrews

From what I can see, it doesn't look torched to me. And while it would be an extremely rare bird, I do think I have seen one like it before, which would be a good thing, since if it is as it came off the rollers, I can guarantee it's not the only one that did.

9 hours ago, cheese said:

I think Akro did make this color combo with oxblood. This one doesn't show signs of being torched so far. If it's real, it's a very good one. Scott Patrick was one who made these. More on the topic here: https://www.allaboutmarbles.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2387&hilit=oxblood+popeye

Thanks for the link cheese.

The one that Al Oregon posted in that link looks like the OP here.

Good stuff--Great marble.

Marble--On!!