Facebook marble prices are making me crazy!

Steph

Not naming any names here.  It's not one seller.  It's a lot of people and a lot of crazy high prices for commons and junk, not to mention mis-id-ed marbles.  I've been rolling my eyes at them for months and biting my tongue.     

The example which brought me here to vent is someone asking $10 plus $5 shipping for what they're calling a near mint Vitro Conqueror.  This is one where I'm not sure if the ID is correct.  Could be, but I'm not seeing enough detail to conclude that it has a clear base. Whatever.  Not so long ago, the going rate for a mint Conqueror was a dime.  And think how bad condition  needs to be these days for most selllers to grade any marble as less than NM+.  

Again, it's not about that one marble.  It's an epidemic.  

I should be glad that my commons are now worth so much.  Maybe they'll still be going for numbers like that when I'm ready to divest.  

• Like 3

By my observation - ~80% 0f those folks think all of their marbles are UV reactive, when the reality is that 98% of them are just reflecting the UV light.  They don't know the difference.  A lot of them have gone UV crazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carowill said:

It’s a case of “supply and demand.”  It appears there is more demand for a limited supply and that bodes well for marble collecting.  You just have to learn to be a smart buyer.

Supply is not THAT limited.   

We forum regulars could easily flood the market with our bins full of Conquerors.   People on facebook are getting quite a distorted view of what they could get these super common marbles for if they looked pretty much anywhere else. 

1 hour ago, Alan said:

By my observation - ~80% 0f those folks think all of their marbles are UV reactive, when the reality is that 98% of them are just reflecting the UV light.  They don't know the difference.  A lot of them have gone UV crazy.

I have noticed that also.  

I buy marbles based on what I like/eye appeal and not simply what is rare or valuable. Maybe I’m doing it wrong. I’ve probably made a lot of purchases more experienced collectors here would laugh at, but I like them. 

with regard to the uv thing, could I ask for an explanation on the difference between reactive and reflective?  I honestly don’t know. 

16 minutes ago, Melissa said:

I buy marbles based on what I like/eye appeal and not simply what is rare or valuable. Maybe I’m doing it wrong. I’ve probably made a lot of purchases more experienced collectors here would laugh at, but I like them. 

with regard to the uv thing, could I ask for an explanation on the difference between reactive and reflective?  I honestly don’t know. 

As long as you are happy with the marble and the price you paid, all is good. The issues arise if someone expects others to value the marble the same way they do. In other words, if you buy a typical Conqueror for $10 that is fine, just don't expect to get your money back by selling it to me. 🙂

And fluorescence (reactivity) occurs when light of a shorter invisible wavelength (UV) reacts with a fluorescent (reactive) compound and causes the compound to emit light of a longer visible wavelength - think of the bright green glow that comes from some apparently white glass when you shine UV light on it (the green light emitted by the fluorescent compound in the glass has a longer wavelength than the UV light we used to excite it). UV light that is reflected is essentially the same color as the UV source.

• Like 2
  • Award 1

I don't use a uv flashlight or light anymore. I use an old fashioned blacklight incandescent tube ( hand held or I also have a 4 footer)  no uv reflection and it gives a much better glow, it'll show some stuff that a uv flashlight shows absolutely no reaction to, for example the slight green glow of the base glass in my sulphides.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chad G. said:

I don't use a uv flashlight or light anymore. I use an old fashioned blacklight incandescent tube ( hand held or I also have a 4 footer)  no uv reflection and it gives a much better glow, it'll show some stuff that a uv flashlight shows absolutely no reaction to, for example the slight green glow of the base glass in my sulphides.

There are all kinds of variables in the "UV lights" we use (e.g., the intensity of the light emitted as well as the spectrum of wavelengths emitted), which is why different UV sources can cause different types or intensities of UV reactivity in the same marble.

Sounds like Facebook is sketch to me. Too bad but I’m not surprised people would do this. If Conquerors are $10 then I can go deep sea fishing for sharks if I sell all of mine.  Wait ! I’m not on Facebook. I do have Conquerors that have been ID as Viper Cobra Hurricanes eating a Guinea. Do I join Facebook to sell these or not? Can you buy Swamp Front property anywhere 🤪🔥🔥

All good points. One problem with people paying double triple or five times what a actual marble is worth to many collectors. Is that once they discover and they will, what they could have purchased the same marble for at another source. They get  disappointed and discouraged with marble collecting and marble people. No one likes paying three or five times what they could have paid for the same thing with a little more effort. If you buy a new car from the first dealership you go to. Then you should not blame the dealership in the next town if you could have got it there at one third less.  But people do it and they want to place the blame anyplace other than their own self. We can try to educate and help with values. But the final decision is up to each buyer. I have seen this cycle go up and down. Once enough people find out they are not happy with some past purchases. The cycle and prices for common marbles will drop again. But those buyers will be disappointed with collecting marbles. Buying or selling marbles is such a small part of marble collecting. After you have bought and or sold enough numbers of marbles. You realize that there is more to marble collecting than just the marbles.  A long list, it is the hunt, the competition, the history of the marbles and their makers, the many people, the collecting of anything, It brings people together, something they enjoy together, it can be near or far, something in common. So what that is worth to each collector has to be decided by each collector. Collect what you like. But if you pay to much do not blame the other collectors or the hobby.  People need to take responsibility for their own actions. 

As for the marbles that glow. It may be important to some and not to others. Old and new marbles both can glow and do. It does not make many ,if any at marbles any more valuable to myself. Some were made this way on purpose as standard production. But the vast majority were not done on purpose. How many blacklights were around and in use during 1930 ?  Did the kids have blacklights in 1940-1950. I sure did not. Not until the late 1960's did I even know what a blacklight was.  The majority of marbles which glow do so because the cullet they were made from glowed before it was a marble. If it glows it has odds of being Akro, that is false. Akro made a way many more marbles that do not glow than the ones which do.  I think all companies made more non glowing marbles than ones that do glow. If it glows it is old, false again. Certain marbles should glow to be a certain collectable or named marble. Such as a Akro Lemonade or a Alley Pistachio, and many more. They can glow different colors for different reasons. What is in the glass and what kind of light you may be using. If you see just a blue cast all over the marble it is a reflection. If the marble has white and other dark colors, the white may reflect blue but the glass may not be uv reactive. Most marbles that are uv reactive have strong reaction. Of course there will be some with small narrow or thin lines that react to uv. But like most when certain things get small it is not that important or changing and value. The vast majority of marbles if they glow or they do not glow will not have much affect with most collectors on the value, unless it is children. I have collectors from many different states to my house each year. Very few ever bring their blacklight with them. I take one to the shows with me but most times I forget it in the room. That is how important it is. I may not go back to get the blacklight. But I will go back to get my light, new batteries or a loupe. A blacklight may be needed or help to identify certain WV swirl marbles. But if you look at 5000 WV swirls. You may need a blacklight to confirm one, maybe two.  So this is just a few reasons that the blacklight is a tool that I use but not in the top three or four of my list of needs for looking at marbles. Size is more important to me than if it glows or not. Size can narrow many identifications down to certain machine made companies. 

We should as experienced collectors try to educate or help other collectors new or old, with values of marbles, as best we can and as we know. 

Buy what you like, pay what you like. But do not blame marble collectors.    

• Award 2

5 hours ago, Melissa said:

I have spent "too much" on a few marbles that I wanted in the overheated facebook environment.  I'm still happy with 90% of my facebook purchases. :)

I didn't mean to make new collectors feel self-conscious.  

There's just something about what is happening on facebook.  

One time I almost made a bid on Facebook for something along the lines of 8 Vacor peewee cat's eyes for about $15 including shipping.  But I held back.  Then I went over to ebay to look them up. 

I ended up buying what I found at ebay.  Got 100 pee wee cats for less than what the small group on facebook was going to cost.  

I gotta hope that most people are shopping around a bit.  But with sellers having confidence that they can get $10 + $5 shipping for a NM Conqueror, it seems that the sellers are counting on people not shopping around. 

• Like 1

The supply and demand may depend on where you shop.  Same as with many things today. 

This will hold true for many marbles sold or bought across the US.  But like most things marbles not all 100%. The majority again. 

Highest price you might pay for the same marbles.

The highest. Go to Facebook.  

Next lower will be Ebay.  If you like to gamble, buy them in big lots?  But better odds in Vegas. Or If you want 50% of the listings and conditions wrong. Or if you like pictures of one side only of a marble. Or ten pictures to far away or blurry.  Pay high shipping, a tip for the seller. Pay state sales tax. 

Next lower would be attend a show. Some people mark the price double. Like Facebook prices. Most do not. You have the marble or marbles in hand for inspection. The deal is made face to face. There is no shipping cost. There is no buyers premium. You may learn something new. You may make a long time friend.  

Next lower would be at a in person auction. If you can inspect them ahead of time and hope there are not 10-20 collectors there which you saw at the last show. Plus the 20% to 30% buyers premium. 

Next lower might be online auctions ? Some of these may get as high priced as Facebook. If you like bad pictures. Like to gamble on what you get and how it is shipped.  Plus gamble on the  shipping cost. Another buyers premium,  For sure almost no returns.   

Next lower would be pay $20.00-$50.00 for a blue colored glass or clear glass quart jar of marbles at a antique store.  Filled with new marbles, Asian cat eyes, rejects from someone's collection,. With one Popeye and the damaged side turned away and the lid taped shut.  Pay state sales tax. 

Prices you pay may depend on your hunting grounds ?  

4 hours ago, Steph said:

I have spent "too much" on a few marbles that I wanted in the overheated facebook environment.  I'm still happy with 90% of my facebook purchases. :)

I didn't mean to make new collectors feel self-conscious.  

There's just something about what is happening on facebook.  

One time I almost made a bid on Facebook for something along the lines of 8 Vacor peewee cat's eyes for about $15 including shipping.  But I held back.  Then I went over to ebay to look them up. 

I ended up buying what I found at ebay.  Got 100 pee wee cats for less than what the small group on facebook was going to cost.  

I gotta hope that most people are shopping around a bit.  But with sellers having confidence that they can get $10 + $5 shipping for a NM Conqueror, it seems that the sellers are counting on people not shopping around. 

Oh I get it. I think people are trying to price gouge on everything in general these days. It is ridiculous. I probably buy a lot of dumb marbles, but even in my opinion $10 for a conqueror is insane. Lol

i haven’t attended a show yet because I’m pretty new at this but it looks like there is one in my area in the fall. I’m pretty excited about that. :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ric said:

As long as you are happy with the marble and the price you paid, all is good. The issues arise if someone expects others to value the marble the same way they do. In other words, if you buy a typical Conqueror for $10 that is fine, just don't expect to get your money back by selling it to me. 🙂

And fluorescence (reactivity) occurs when light of a shorter invisible wavelength (UV) reacts with a fluorescent (reactive) compound and causes the compound to emit light of a longer visible wavelength - think of the bright green glow that comes from some apparently white glass when you shine UV light on it (the green light emitted by the fluorescent compound in the glass has a longer wavelength than the UV light we used to excite it). UV light that is reflected is essentially the same color as the UV source.

Excellent info, thanks Ric!!! I was wondering if there was possibly some sort of metallic oxide in/around some marbles-causing them to reflect the UV bulb. Fake news?

I will throw my two cents in the pot too. I have had several discussions with fellow mibbers recently, mostly me venting my disgust. I will say that Facebook is not as bad as Ebay for this first gripe. So many postings with numerous makes names because people either want to cover all possible viewers or they do not know. I have sent several messages to one seller letting him know that he has akro, alley, vitro, marble king and more all listed as Christensen. He said he has collected for years but his eyes are getting bad. I told him the reason he not getting bids is because of this and his starting bids were way out of whack. He thnked me and he still posts them. There are so many wrong ID's, which for old timers it may be good that maybe a good marble might be bought for cheap. But I am teaching a newer collector and I have told him to not trust Ebay, but he calls nightly with, did you see this or did you see that. I know there is a lot of confusion and misleading information making newbie struggle or find out what they got is not what they thought. At least on Facebook many people comment openly when misinformation is presented. My second beef is that (I know this is and has been an issue since man saw his first marble) people list marbles as mint and there are visual issues. In fact, I am seeing so many so-called mint marbles more than I ever have. I have told my new collector to go to shows to find out what true fun, educated buying and selling is like. It all goes back to spending time learning, BUT FROM RELIABLE SOURCES. I post almost daily to people on Facebook the link to this group and AAM. I tell them that these two sites are where the real facts are and the people who can help. BRAVO, to all of you great mentors, keep up the good work.👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNYD said:

I will throw my two cents in the pot too.

Me too,

Educate yourself before you buy. It is as simple as that.

The Marble Connection is always open to opinions on buying and grading. That may stop some from a buying frenzy--but not all for sure.

If you really are sure--check the worth. If not, check the others here and get some opinions before you throw good money at bad marbles.

Do not get me wrong--If I want it--I will get it, but only to a point that makes some reasonable sense.

If any one wants to trade a bunch of beat up marbles for say--a pair of nice gloves or mittens--contact me. It is getting to be winter--finally.

Marble--On!!

• Like 1

On a separate note about Facebook, what drives me nuts is there are so many obviously wrong IDs. Lots of newbies guessing at IDs which makes the ID groups super confusing. Basically the blind leading the blind. I’m about ready to leave some groups because it’s so bad. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Melissa said:

On a separate note about Facebook, what drives me nuts is there are so many obviously wrong IDs. Lots of newbies guessing at IDs which makes the ID groups super confusing. Basically the blind leading the blind. I’m about ready to leave some groups because it’s so bad. 

And a lot of these newbies not letting it be known that they're guessing.  So one newbie gets what looks like a decisive answer and enthusiastically thanks the person ... and the answer is wrong.  In some groups you can count on at least a midlevel person jumping in to offer a different opinion.   In some groups the wrong answers just hang there unchallenged. 

I don't know how people feel so comfortable answering so decisively! I tried it out over in your Pelt patches thread and was like one for four on what I thought was a gimme.  

I will continue my dithering ways.  

• Like 1

Just now, Steph said:

And a lot of these newbies not letting it be known that they're guessing.  So one newbie gets what looks like a decisive answer and enthusiastically thanks the person ... and the answer is wrong.  In some groups you can count on at least a midlevel person jumping in to offer a different opinion.   Not in some groups the wrong answers just hang there unchallenged. 

I don't know how people feel so comfortable answering so decisively! I tried it out over in your Pelt patches thread and was like one for four on what I thought was a gimme.  

I will continue my dithering ways.  

Exactly. At the very least make it known that you’re guessing!  

• Like 1