Thanks for all of the hard work

akroorka

The board was obviously down and out earlier today. 
We have been invaded lately by a variety of spam dealers and bad inter-web folks.
My thanks go out to the ones that worked hard to get us back on track to enjoy this site.
Hats off to @bumblebee, @Chad G. and @Steph for all of the work that they do to keep this place from becoming a mess.

If I missed anyone--just let me know--hats off to you as well!
Marble—On!!

• Like 1
  • Award 1

Thanks I appreciate it!

Long story short: A year or so ago, I increased the maximum image size significantly, not realizing that the board stores all pasted photos as an uncompressed format known as PNG. So suddenly our storage usage at least doubled, especially with more activity in the past year.

My new hosting has limited storage, so we ran out of space today. I reconverted and reuploaded a bunch of these uncompressed PNG files as specially compressed formats, but it's a tedious manual process.

I also reduced the maximum image size to reduce future image sizes.

Finally, my server doesn't support the latest board versions, so I have to spin up a new one and transfer everything. I figure it's time to get a bigger one, so it'll be $20/m base instead of the current $10/m base. That will buy us more storage and give us another year before I have to look at another option which is to locate all of our images on cheap "cloud" storage.

• Like 1
  • Award 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, bumblebee said:

Thanks I appreciate it!

Long story short: A year or so ago, I increased the maximum image size significantly, not realizing that the board stores all pasted photos as an uncompressed format known as PNG. So suddenly our storage usage at least doubled, especially with more activity in the past year.

My new hosting has limited storage, so we ran out of space today. I reconverted and reuploaded a bunch of these uncompressed PNG files as specially compressed formats, but it's a tedious manual process.

I also reduced the maximum image size to reduce future image sizes.

Finally, my server doesn't support the latest board versions, so I have to spin up a new one and transfer everything. I figure it's time to get a bigger one, so it'll be $20/m base instead of the current $10/m base. That will buy us more storage and give us another year before I have to look at another option which is to locate all of our images on cheap "cloud" storage.

I agree with the others that you deserve many thanks for "keeping this show on the road". I have thought about the burden on resources of hosting all these photos and I try to never upload the same image here twice. I just go to my attachments and copy the image I uploaded earlier to insert it in a new post. Some systems have algorithms that will prevent the same image from being stored more than once on a server but I don't know if such a system operates here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1