Did Anyone Make Pink Marbles?

MrsMopar

Another reason is that pink, like the better purples, is made with gold, and is one of the more expensive colors to make.

mike b.

Agree with Mike above - pink glass formulas were expensive (and marbles were cheap). Galen's point is also a good one.

Taking both Galen's point and Lou's.... Could it be, red was worth the gold value, where pink probably wasn't as popular??

It seems there's a lot more pink in antique handmades, than in machine mades....

Again, a picture of a picture of my most coveted marble.....

post-3-1222097171_thumb.jpg

Contemporaries also have a good amount of pink... I was looking for a picture of an Eddie Seese, only to discover it's purple, not pink... So, I'll add that to the purple thread....

Instead, I found a picture of my son's Bill Murray "Test Marble" of the Monkey Man in Shades....

(Kinda looks purple, but I'm pretty sure it's pink...)

post-3-1222097386_thumb.jpg

But isn't gold also used in red?

Lou

Deep red glass was originaly formulated with gold dissolved in an acid. The same was true (IIRC) for pink - just at a lesser amount of gold. Not all reds required the use of gold. I think that the use of gold was discontinued in the 1930s or 40s by using selenium - and later a copper formula... both which were cheaper. U.S. marble manufacturers would have been restricted from using gold during WWII.

Thanx Lou, BigJohn and Sue for the pictures, at least I know there are some out there. What kind are those BigJohn?

Definitely a good point Galen, as I don't recall the boys having much to do with Anything pink back in the day.

Gold, wow, I'd have never known Mike, Thank you. And I am now wondering would you be able to differentiate gold vs selenium or copper by color tone/richness?

Alan, thank you, do you see differences?

:-) Felicia

None of Peltier's formulas used gold for their several reds in the 20's and 30's.

I've seen a lot of gold pinks in sheet glass form, and I can tell they are made from gold.

I don't remember ever seeing a gold red, except for the cranberry shades.

mike b.

ahhh. lots of girls played marbles!! they just wren't allowed much into tournaments back then. (how much does that stink?) Now the only reason I know this, is my 89 year old mother was the third grade champion marble shooter for her elementary school. and as she put it, it was about the only game girls were allowed to play with boys back then, but could only participate in school tournies. at least in her home town. which was small, but I'm thinking that may have been the way it was. and her fav shooter? an akro cork naturally, still had it until she gave it to hubby. (yeah that's right, gave it to him, not me!) she kept it in her jewelery box until a couple years ago.

Maybe the marble company's played it safe and used colors that were attractive for boys and girls.

For example they both like red mibs,but boys didn't and don't like pink.

Fact is i've only 1 baby-pink swirl.

I like the pattern but the color is not notable.

winniepink-swirlLarge.jpg

Mike, thank you for your information, always great to learn more.

Well darn Dani, woulda been kewl if you had gotten that marble.

Sounds really neat Gary. You'll havta show that sometime.

Winnie, love the pic. I can see, that although it wasn't a commonly used color, it still made for beautiful marbles.

Thanx folks.

[quote name='MrsMopar' date='Sep 25 2008, 06:21 AM' post='78519']

Sounds really neat Gary. You'll havta show that sometime.

Ok, here is the best I could do. The picture with the black light doesn't do it justice though. It came out looking more orange but to my eyes, it's hot pink! lol Maybe that's just my skewed view of reality! haha

post-279-1222364841_thumb.jpg