The Board Had A Hiccup

LouisCamp

Hicups are a natural part of the boards. Banning members is not so good in my opinion. Everyone should be allowed to say whatever within reason. Editing, deleting, and banning are a no-no IMHO.

If you saw the post of two nights ago you would understand. A vicious, smarmy attack against a person that was beneath the dignity of any reasonable person. The thread originator tried to drag a disagreement on another board to this board as a character assassination attempt. No good board of ANY topic focus should host such degrading writing whose sole purpose is to demean and denigrate another.

Respectfully,

Alan

Ah, I did read that attack...

Then I will only say that I support the actions of responsible board owners and moderators that know when to draw the line between reasonable discussion focused on marbles (which is what I understand the majority of the board's supporters come here for) and foul-mouthed attacks that only undermine the reputation of a board.

So?

So?!?! You are thanking Lou for banning folks like Galen when you whine and cry when it happens to you. If I had lots of free time right now, I would site 30 posts with links and draw circles on pictures and argue why you should not favor his decision to ban. But alas, I do not.

i dont think it has anything to do with free speach...its againts the law to yell fire in a crowded movie theatre.....lotsa times its not what you say by why or when you say it....i dont know the whole story but im purty sure its nothin to do about discussions here....galen tried to be cute and it backfired on him....if you dont read scott patricks board and tom reeds board you could not see the big picture......

So?!?! You are thanking Lou for banning folks like Galen when you whine and cry when it happens to you. If I had lots of free time right now, I would site 30 posts with links and draw circles on pictures and argue why you should not favor his decision to ban. But alas, I do not.

I thanked Lou for taking a stand against abusive posting. I knew he had suspended someone who went way way over the line. I think the rule against harrassment is an important one.

I didn't know he had banned Galen. Does Galen object? According to Galen, the owner of a board "can do whatever he wants" and "really shouldn't have to explain why he does anything he choses to do". Well, he said that about Pete a couple of weeks ago. Does he think differently now?

As to me being banned, I did shake things up, didn't I. (sorry about that Lou) I don't remember whining or crying though. I defended myself, others stood up for me, and I was unbanned.

Why they defended you on LOM is beyond me. Your argumentive posts reek of "smarter than thou" attitude. IMHO Sure, you are helpful, but never can accept being proven wrong. Lead Astray! I personally have never had an outright "riff" against you on the boards, but I have stopped reading through many of your posts. All the circle talking and links and photos over a darn common marble are hard to swallow at times.

Perhaps its just the changing of times that seem to cycle through these boards, but most tend to rebound. This one has just kept turning to shit with no end in site.

Hiccup

Perhaps I'm also saying this in defense of some people that I consider friends that are no longer welcome here. Its sad.

Derrick

Perhaps its just the changing of times that seem to cycle through these boards, but most tend to rebound. This one has just kept turning to shit with no end in site.

Hiccup

Perhaps I'm also saying this in defense of some people that I consider friends that are no longer welcome here. Its sad.

Derrick

Derrick,

Maybe giving people free speech is one of the reasons this board is "turning to shit". There are ways to speak freely without insults, fowl language & innuendo.

Feel free to join your "friends" on the other boards.

Lou

This board has been the most liberal board since day one when Alan started it. After he left it stayed that way and always had some sort of issues between members. I have seen far worst fights, but never seen beeing anyone banned for what they think of about an issue. Sure there has been over the top incidents that caused some people to be banned, but this is not the norm of this board. Please do not change your policies around. It would be a sad day.

Sami

I sure hope what I say dont get me banned but ive sat back long enough,,, ive been here for a long time, back to when nan and alan were running the boards and before that i collected on my own, and if anyone knows me i just love to come and vist the boards to learn and see the great marbles everyone has,, this bs with the politics of whos doesnt have this type or who doesnt have the high end mibs is for the birds not everyone can afford some of the high end ones. I get it with the new jabos, they are a work of art, stunning for someone who can take awesome photos (bt and others)of them and better to have them in hand, no they are not vintage this is true but for some people the fun of collecting is eye appeal and just plain cool looking mibs, works of art, and the guys or gals who have good cameras have a gift to show them to us, the thing with these newer jabos is there really isnt no set pattern so every turn of the mib is a different work of art in my eyes, ,, anyway nobody can control what others say banned or not, all banning does is start rumors and makes them angry, i treat these harsh post like a radio, if i dont like what i here i turn it off or just dont read it,everyone has a bad day now and again, but there is a point where the mods need to say enough is enough, i did read the post that feelingmarbolous put up when it hit and for someone to vent his feelings in a marble related forum was uncalled for,,also go to the main page of this forum, if it isnt someone selling stuff or advertising stuff its someone trying to out smart out whit someone on anything they try to discuss, in the end run we run into peeps not wanting to post up in fear of being raked over the coals in their assessment or questions , it dont make no sense, why does such a simple game and toy become so difficult for some to grasp the fact that it is so trivial of a game for it to become so complicated, because of the money involve?,,, jeepers, everyone collect what you like!!, and if anything, let see some more marble post ups, alot of people didnt like feelingmarbolious's politics but ya have to admit he had some killer pics of what he had, so what if he doesnt have million dollar marbles, i enjoyed what he showed us, i dont particularly like his way of thinking and his holyer than thow attitude but if you like marbles you learn to overlook the obvious, no one person knows it all thats why we come here to these boards and supposed to have fun looking, discussing and commenting on others bounties, leave the "im better than you" at the door , lets have fun,,, bj

Before I became a moderator, I had no clue about how the madness of various personalities effected admins. and mods....

A lot of actions seemed REALLY harsh to me.... I just couldn't believe that people like Alan and Nan could just walk away!!! I mean.... This couldn't be that big of a deal, right???

Once a person gets into a mod or admin position, all that "If you don't like it, don't read it" stuff changes... There is no escape from ANY issue....

I get the feeling, based on what people say to me, that they feel Lou & I have some sort of control over what others say... And, we approve it all!! (How can you let him get away with saying THAT???)

We have 2 people who have left the board, who are apparently waiting for apologies before they come back??? Apologies??? If it's from the person the had an issue with, that's between them...

If they're looking for an apology from Lou or I??? I don't get it....

If we repremand someone for speaking their mind, we're tyrants... If we don't, we're allowing people to be abusive to others....

Either way, we're in trouble... Not just in a single confrontation, but in EVERY SINGLE confrontation....

A while ago, I posted a message about the need to get work done...(Board Behavior) It was TOTALLY misunderstood by most people....

The point of it was.... I have a life outside of this board and the constant bickering is cutting into it FAR more than I can allow....

Yes, I can address it by not doing mod work, here... But, my point was can YOU address it and take a little more responsibility in your actions??

There are some people, no matter how popular or nice they may be in person, who just thrive on creating problems, needling people or taking a simple post and turning it into WAY more than it ever intended to be... For whatever reason...

It's just not fun for most of us to have to deal with this and it's a MAJOR PIA for Lou & I....

It's become apparent, that if those people are politely asked to STOP and they don't... Well???

I think I can speak for Lou (AND Pete at LOM) as far as saying... I just DON'T need to be constantly drilled for my reasoning about how things are handled here.... It's not a major stock bearing company, court of law, or government power... It's a freakin' CHAT BOARD!!! If the "chat" gets to the point where it's interfering with our work and lives, it's time for changes....

I wasn't entirely on board with what Lou did... But, I totally agree that it WILL make our lives a LOT easier... And, it is most likely the only way we can eliminate the problem, without completely shutting down the board....

So.... If you find that you've been harsh to someone and want to smooth it out... Please do it.

If you feel you've been verbally abused by someone... Maybe you need to take a long look at how you address others, then grow a little extra skin and toughen up... The whole world isn't "Candy Land" and we're not your buffer to it.... Not everyone thinks and acts like you.

Try to spend more time figuring out WHY someone is doing what they do, than reacting to it....

And... If you see something that looks like a polite "Shut Up, Please..." you may want to pay attention, or I can send you a link to where you can go and bitch after you get kicked....

Man, marbles are just little glass balls that I happen to dig out of the dirt in my spare time. I have been guilty of jumping up and down in the room but I also appreciate the room as a place to come and read posts or look at pics or use the study hall to learn. Lou, Scoop, and any other admin/mod do a great job. I have no clue as to what this is about and am really glad I missed it. But I just wanted to say "Hi" to everyone and "let's get back to the marbles".