American Marble Hall Of Fame

Who has the info on the incorporation or any other relevant info on this hall or whatever it is. Who started it, who are the founders, members and officers, who votes etc etc. Never heard of it untill this year. I was wondering if Sellers Peltier, Arnold Feidler, Martin F Christensen, S.C. Dyke, Berry Pink and a lot of the other true pioneers in marble making were already inducted and when??

2010 inductees, per post #17 of the Texas marble show thread:

Berry Pink

Roger Howdyshell

Beri Howdyshell Fox

David McCullough

Howard "Hod" Powell

Dan Grocki

Those are the first six. It is a new project, started this year.

Did anyone say "out of the loop!" I suspect this fledgling organization will make its goals and missions evident within the near future. I think it is a wonderful and worthy endeavor from the little I am currently privy to. The initial recipients of this honor indicated above are each and every one a treasure in the field of marbles. David Chamberlain

I have never heard of such a thing being started by one small group of folks. Hall of Fames usually take years to develop and always include all the major folks involved in whatever endeavor the Hall of fame is to be involved. This kind of makes a mockery out of the hobby IMO. It seems that to be realistic it should be called the Teaxas Marble Collectors Club Hall of Fame

Hi Galen,

I was wondering who would all the major folks be? And how long was this in development? I do not know. I personally was not involved in this, I am double sure that a lot of folks see it as a great new thing to the hobby. as well as folks that dont see it in the same way. I will say that "This kind of makes a mockery out of the hobby IMO" is a little over the edge IMO. If it is a work in progress it is sure to lead to good things for the hobby. Then again imho. And i can agree to disagree.

Bruce

I have to wonder what it is that motivates you Galen because your contributions at this Board over the past few days have basically been equal opportunity insulting for just about anyone or anything, thread after thread. Marbles not any fun for you anymore? It sure doesn't seem as if they are 'cause you rarely have a good word for anything. Why not make an effort to look on the bright side of things for a change. Hell, it might even be possible to like you; you occasionally do have something to offer. David

seems some of us find different things a plus or minus for the hobby. And my questions about the supposed hall of Fame were brought to me by someone that has a much larger collection than myself. I was basically being the messenger on this one. And if you have read all my posts on every board you will find much more positive than negative. Although recently a lot more BS has been taking place in the hobby.

ah.... so you are the messenger the first post looked like it was you wondering...somebodies feeling hurt???seems like when people disagree with you its always somebody elses fault...at the wvmcc we call em honorary life members...do persons that have large collections have more to say???? did somebodies feelings get hurt and they felt left out???? awww---- poor kid...maybe his mommie should put his marbles away til he can get along better with others...it would prob take a long time since theres so many of em!! i say its a good thing them texans are doing to give recognition to people...it dont cost much and it does make people feel better to be honored by your peers...well some of em ,,anyways..

seems some of us find different things a plus or minus for the hobby. And my questions about the supposed hall of Fame were brought to me by someone that has a much larger collection than myself. I was basically being the messenger on this one. And if you have read all my posts on every board you will find much more positive than negative. Although recently a lot more BS has been taking place in the hobby.

I measure a man or woman by their character - not by the size, content or supposed value of their "collection". What one owns is no reflection upon their knowledge or contribution to this hobby. A large or small collection is a poor crutch for an ill-considered remark.

The Hall of Fame idea is a good one but I feel the people that made this possible should have all been in the initial group. Those mentioned in another post along with James Leighton, Clinton Israel, and John Early have to be in any valid Hall of Fame that honors American Marble Makers. Without the contribution of these pioneers and the mibs they manufactured, you do not have the hobby of marble collecting. Just my opinion.

sure but perspective.

Its the Texas Marble Club.

What, who or how they honor is their bussiness, what they call the award is their bussiness.

Galens thread starting post was a set for post 6, hell he didnt get an answer to his supposed "question". more wishy washy shit.

"makes a mockery" jfc

You could always join the club and be in the loop.

David

I am a member of the Texas Marble Club and Edna's show post was the first place I heard of the award. There was not input requested from the geneeral membeership of the Club that I am aware of. I also am curious what the criteria was for the initial recipients. Edna seemed to mention in one post that she would explain why Howard and Danny were chosen but I have not read anything further on the subject. So, why were they chosen? As a club member, I would think that an answer should be given. Also, when will they add to the list? At the next show maybe? I would appreciate reading some answers to the good questions previously asked. I think the award and Texas Hall of Fame is a good idea but why the silence from the officers of the Texas Club?

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa, Folks!!!!!

Let's quit with the mud-slinging and take a look at this thing...

We all know Galen can be a curmudgeon on certain new changes... That's who he is. It's what he does. He speaks his mind in his way. We all know it and we're not likely to change him.... Or, anyone else for that matter... Don't we all want to speak our minds as we see fit? (DAMNED RIGHT, we DO!!)

So, no point in blasting him for it... Just think to yourself, "OK, that's just Galen" and move on. The less attention paid to it, the less it effects us...

Instead, let's ask, "OK, Galen, why is it bad for the hobby?"

Let's get some perspective on it.... Maybe he has a point?

Maybe we should get a link to it and try to embrace it??

Anyone got a link to the info, so we can all become enlightened??

If it's just the Texas Club's hall of fame, it IS their business. That doesn't mean we can't support it and offer congratulations to those honored...

Who knows?? Maybe they'd even be open to allowing us to toss them some suggestions...

I am a member of the Texas Marble Club and Edna's show post was the first place I heard of the award. There was not input requested from the geneeral membeership of the Club that I am aware of. I also am curious what the criteria was for the initial recipients. Edna seemed to mention in one post that she would explain why Howard and Danny were chosen but I have not read anything further on the subject. So, why were they chosen? As a club member, I would think that an answer should be given. Also, when will they add to the list? At the next show maybe? I would appreciate reading some answers to the good questions previously asked. I think the award and Texas Hall of Fame is a good idea but why the silence from the officers of the Texas Club?

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!!! Thanks, Al!! ;)

"If you are not on the selection committe, you will not know who is being inducted until it happens. We plan to induct living and dead persons. The living persons are honored for their contributions to the hobby. They are not honored for the size or value of their collections, but for their service to the hobby. Nationally known people serve on the selection committee as well as Texans. I appreciate all your suggestions about who should be honored, but please understand we are a not for profit organization. We will take small steps and eventually include all those who should be included. And it's none of anybody's business except the selection committee in what order we act. This is a work in progress and all should be joyous that somebody (The Texas Marble Collector's Inc.) has taken the lead and finally the history of our hobby is being recognized and remembered." Edna Eaton, President, TMCI

Oh, I forgot something. Members of our club can nominate people to be inducted. Members of other marble clubs can nominate people. This is new. This is planned, but as mentioned above - a work in progress. We are working as quickly as we can getting our foundations laid and procedures in place. All of you need to think about the research required, the writing required, the traveling required. It is the idea of the Texas Marble Club, but it is national, hence the name American. And yes, we will be inducting more honorees in October. This is my last remark on this at this time. Details will be announced first in Texas and then you will know. It is the business of Texas.

If'n ya dont like theirs why not do yur own.

And Al's and Galens dont appear to be quite same topic.

One is who do they think they are!

the other "all members dont have knowledge"

I dont know try something like this.

Hey Texas Marble Club what up with the new hall of fame?

Or maybe before ya take um to task contact TMC-whatup

galen was not asking a damn question he was preparing a statement.

(so make the statement without the roundabout)

Al on the other hand (club bussiness)

of course galen can ask his statement and of course the response is predictable.

IMO

David

straight up its messy, but cleans up fast.

from the post above its clear as a bell Texas will let us know when we need to know.

and yet ya still care!

apparently 8 or so folks passed out some awards.

I'm with ya lets get to the bottom of this.

My bad Galen, breaking news!

alot of u folkses education and knowledge make my head hurt

presumptous - American Marble Hall of fame?

more so than yur inclusion?

lol

tit for tat IMO

Sorry Scoop.That passive crap might work for you,unlike myself,when friends of mine are insulted,I DO HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY.Maybe you could try that at the animal shelter,for some scientific testing,,,,,

I would think,that any member,of the Texas Marble Club,that has issue with what has,or will be done,should address the issues,with the club,FIRST,instead of broadcasting there "concerns",in a public forum,such as this.I dont know,maybe I was raised wrong,for thinking this way.

There are going to be plenty of issues,as is with anything,new.Going "around the corner",looking for answers is not what I consider intelligent.

This,shit that Galen posted,is a fine example.He posted this manipulating type of thread,intentionaly,with obviously more information in his pocket.

Anyone want to call me a liar,based on lack of physical evidence?

I do have to give credit to Galen,for NOT hiijacking someones thread for this one.Hey!That didnt hurt a bit!

I'll post that this IMO,BUT,,,,,,,,(just who's opinion would I be posting,anyway?)---LOL

I'm sorry Griff.... Your absolutely right!!

I guess my point was to blow off Galen's attitude and get down to the real story.

Galen's attitude and personality aren't ever gonna change. If you wanna duke it out with him, be my guest.... Let's just do it over at the Squabble Zone. Cuz honestly, that's not what people come here to see...

I'd really like to know more about this thing and I don't honestly give a damn what Galen thinks!!! So, I hate to see a thread that could be informational turn into a slug fest, just because it was started in a negative way....

Maybe we need to blow this whole thing off and start again??

Maybe you could try that at the animal shelter,for some scientific testing,,,,,

What's THAT mean?? Isn't that sort of a "Galen" kinda comment??

Beware, lest you become that which you most despise....

Am I seeing things right 'cause it appears that half the time spent on this Board is involved in resurrecting Galen after he has committed some faux pas? I'd have thought Galen's 'contributions'(at least for this Thread) and any further consideration of them would have been brought to a screeching halt after Alan's chastisement of him for his ill considered remark. David