12 Pack

greg11

the white are on moonies, I'm sure the lemonade and limeade ones are fluorescent, I don't have a black light, some say the print is oxblood. They only came in these 3 colors with moonie being the less common of the bunch. They are extremely hard to find. There was one antique seller on ebay who ran across 22 of them in PA at an antique sale, he sold a few on ebay and I grabbed the left overs.

The name sounded familiar so I did a quick search. A note on these marbles said that they were from the estate of Howard E. Koehler, describing him as the man who printed them for Akro in the 30's. That might be how Alan's auction for the marbles read.

post-279-1224103872_thumb.jpg post-279-1224103866_thumb.jpg post-279-1224103858_thumb.jpg

That would be all I know at the moment.

Here's a paragraph from one of Alan's archived pages:

Recently, I spoke with a friend who told me his uncle was in the screenprinting business in the mid-to-late 1930s. One of the items he screenprinted for companies (filling stations, Cracker Jack, and small local businesses in the area of western Pennsylvania) and individuals (i.e. political campaigners) included marbles. This elderly gentleman, Howard E. Koehler, was born in 1910, and obtained his marbles from Akro Agate. Over the years he has given these marbles to his relatives, including his nephew, my friend, who showed me a jar full. Among the marbles were Popeyes, Corkscrews, and Opaques. Many were printed with the names of individuals, while others had the names of petroleum companies (Esso, Mobilgas, and Sunoco) and such words as "freedom" and "1937." Mr. Koehler himself kept around 100 of these marbles, and allowed me to go through them. Perhaps some of the more interesting examples contained "Landon" or "Landon/Knox"; Alfred Landon and Frank Knox were the repulican candidates for president and vice president, respectively, during the 1936 election, and lost against Franklin D. Roosevelt.

Another link, with more detail from Alan: http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/dixiemarblecollectorsclub/message/981

Guess I should save that page in case it disappears or is hard to find for some reason. :)

thanks for deflating my valuation bob lol, just kidding, Bob is right, the original finder of these porcelfrits was getting on average of 50-40 dollars a piece for the 10 he sold individually on ebay. Prior to these sales on ebay you could only find one in Bob's auctions every now and again. I really don't think Alan sold any, they have been missing for a long time. Years ago they were bringing 80-120 each.

Prior to these sales on ebay you could only find one in Bob's auctions every now and again. I really don't think Alan sold any, they have been missing for a long time.

I bought two from Alan -- one H. E. Koehler, printed in red, and one with a small crown and the number 4, printed in blue. He said he got them from the family. I know he sold at least one more with Koehler's name on it, but I don't remember any others. Not saying there weren't any, though.

Does anybody else have one with a number and crown?

Wow - Glad to hear somebody else has one (I mean two). So that's three, at least. Mine, unfortunately, is not printed on a popeye -- it's just on white. I wonder what the crown / number thing was about? Any ideas?