Marble Marbles

hdesousa

The white marble with pinkish/red streaks in the second row of the upper right corner is a marble marble, fashioned from real marble, made in the 17th to the 19th century.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-28-Vintage-Early-Period-China-Marbles-/130962474708

At one time, marble players prized these "blood allies" higher than any other marble.

This is the first one I've seen for sale in several years.

If you won them, I'd love to see some better pics of that M-marble at some point. I've been growing more fond of the Colonial period stuff lately.

Nope, I did not win them.

They're extensively pictured and discussed in Richard Gartley and Jeff Carskadden's 1998 book "Colonial Period and Early 19th Century Children's Toy Marbles"

Would it be the same as the pink ones described here in 1851? If not, does anyone have the pink variety?

THERE were some years ago and we believe there still are three or four different sorts of marbles the Dutch or variegated clay marbles were reckoned the worst those of yellow stone with beautiful spots or circles of black or brown were next in estimation and what were called the real taws of pink marble with dark red veins blood allies were preferred to all others The games with marbles are not very numerous the following pages contain descriptions of all that have come to our knowledge

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, I needed to find some blood-alley pictures today and couldn't easily find the ones I remembered having ... so I'm fixing part of that now!

Here's the pic from that auction with the blood-alley on the right. :thup:

gallery_279_402_504073.jpg

I don't know. Looks more like a conglomerate-type rock to me. Don't remember seeing any with that density & pattern of "blood." But I haven't seen that many marble marbles, and I certainly don't have one.

• 9 months later...

I have a group that came with all 1860's dated games and toys. Glass marbs were early, Chess was easy to date and the playing cards were also because of the ace used at the time. I took the glass marbles out and put all the rest in a bag. I remember thinking that they were extra heavy for minerals so did not mix them in with the rest of the mineral ones I have pooled up. I will dig them up and see what is in there. I'm Pretty sure I have some. There were some with red vanes that had that nice marble sparkle to them. Gotta find them now.