Appalachian From Ebay -- Cold Rolls? Test Runs?

I found a listing with one of the new Appalachian marbles in it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAVES-APPALACHIAN-SWIRLS-TEST-RUN-4-CRYSTAL-SUPERMAN-RUN-APPROX-3-4-7-28-14-/221510085578

I will not comment on the quality....but they implied superman and I would have referenced a parrot more than a superman.

They also have this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAVES-APPALACHIAN-SWIRLS-TEST-RUN-4-CRYSTAL-SUPERMAN-RUN-APPROX-3-4-7-28-14-/221510090044

My wife saw it over my shoulder "That marble has issues" lol

It looks like it has cold rolls. Not sure how a test run is done, but is that common ?

The top 10 marbles from the run must be killers. And I do see that type of indentation (fine cold rolling) on a lot of "spun" marbles, vintage and new. I think "Superman" just references the color combination not a particular marble type. There are Akro, Alley, and Peltier Supermans, right? Don't know that I have ever seen or heard of a Vitro Superman. And although I may have seen Multicolor Swirls with superman colors, I am unlikely to mistake them for these, that's for sure.

Aside from the 2 I linked,both looking like ass, Dinks look like clear based Vacor marbles.

Maybe they should have considered a white base. I like the 3 colors used, but the clear.....makes it look bad.

Wvron, my superman/parrot references was a veiled innuendo :)

Ric, same thing, innuendo :)

Looks like a "superman" color combo to me.

I cant say they look like a parrot too me.

There will always be test runs,especialy when working out the bugs on a new machine,

not to mention all the innovations that have been created in the last 10 years.

Could be testing anything from a new shear,a differant type of base or strike glass,ect.

Vacor make some nice looking marbles too!

There are no veiled innuendos in my above comments!--LOL

The one-inch Jabos sometimes looked a LOT like parrots to me even though I was cognizant of the big difference in the base.

There was just something parrot-y about the motion of the 1"-ers.

Dave is fine tuning the marble rollers and the furnace. he is working on experimentals, using cheap glass, testing temperatures, etc. That's why they are called experimentals. The experiementals in no way reflect what the investor runs will look like, except that Dave learns how to fine tune all the variables without wasting good glass. I got some of the last experimental run yesterday in the mail. Some do have cold rolls. Several more experimental runs will be completed before the run named "True North".

Dave is fine tuning the marble rollers and the furnace. he is working on experimentals, using cheap glass, testing temperatures, etc. That's why they are called experimentals. The experiementals in no way reflect what the investor runs will look like, except that Dave learns how to fine tune all the variables without wasting good glass. I got some of the last experimental run yesterday in the mail. Some do have cold rolls. Several more experimental runs will be completed before the run named "True North".

Thanks,that was what I was asking.

The same person selling has listed more and they keep looking worse with entire sides riddled with rolls and out of round and it left me wondering why anyone would buy any of it.

THanks for clarifying what a test run was

nope no picasa...you get a lot junk , games and stuff with those sites... anyhoo no big deal...I showed it elsewhere...

Huh ?

games ?

You lost.

Picasa is googles image hosting service and program

You get nothing but the program. No add on's, no games, no tool bars :)

http://picasa.google.com/

You need a gmail account I think. I cannot remember. I got picasa years back when it 1st came out as I disliked Imageshack

Give it a try.

don't worry about it,okay??...theres always extras that comes plus the size it takes up.....yeah...its my choice not to have a hosting program....I don't need coaching from anyone,,,i reckon ill eventually hafta use some kinda picture host...ive got 10,00 0 pics plus floatin around cyperspace....thanks, but no thanks....

I LOVE the crystal supermen.

When I opened my box my first thought was about those superballs we used to play with.

Then I took out the marble in the middle and it was like a three color snake, the yellow and blue and red ribbon running around the outside of the marble in nice cork.

I also have at least a couple of those double twist ones ... what is that action called? ... now that I have some I need to learn the name ...

The red/white/gray/crystal combo is also nice in a somewhat more muted but handsome way.

And then there are a couple with lavender and yellow.

Interesting design. I like.

I also have at least a couple of those double twist ones ... what is that action called? ... now that I have some I need to learn the name ...

I've heard different people call it different things. I have a few comtemporaries with the pattern and the artists called it "wigwag." I've heard "yin-yang" pretty often from Pelt people. And double reverse.

I wonder what Galen calls it . . .