Potpourri -- Post Something Fun

Steph

17 hours ago, Steph said:

How is this possible?! Real dandelion ... and other natural items ... the insect died of natural causes

OksanaNBell_zpsypubrxz9.jpg 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/274135168/dandelion-bees-flowers-paperweight

Years and years ago I gave my Mom something much like this. Just a Dandelion puff in a glass paperweight. Don't know how it was done and since both folks are gone now, I have to idea where it went. One of my brothers or their families hopefully have it..

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are my priceless marbles. You could offer me $500 each and I'd shake my head No, but I am wiling to take offers about US$3000 each. ;) Why? Let me explain from left to right: 1) A battle scarred bumble bee I won playing marbles as a boy in the early 1970s (hence my name!)., 2) An Akro shooter from my late grandfather's childhood. 3) A pee-wee Bennington from my great-grandfather's Bigelow-Foster store which he managed in Kansas.

Imagine how priceless so many marbles in your collection would be if you could see and remember them through the eyes of their original owners!

family.jpg

Almost started a new thread with this -- entitled Gift Ideas.  

This could be a fun project for children.  Or a nice little token to give to someone without a lot of space.  Shouldn't be too hard to learn good materials for painting on glass.  Would be cooler if you could fire it on somehow.  But ... I guess this artist used some kind of paint pens. 

Etsy_DontLoseYourMarbles_zpsl5xvpzqi.jpg

Source: https://www.etsy.com/listing/230592014/dont-lose-your-marbles-mothers-day-set10

One of the things I used to actively collect was Early American Pressed Glass. Most from the late 1800's to early 1900's. There so much produced at the time, that most of it was reasonably priced and I loved the patterns. This one has always been one of my favorites. The bowl was produced somewhere between 1880 and 1890 and will light up a room under black light.

VaselineBowl.jpg

5 hours ago, Steph said:

No kidding!

Some folks have dedicated marble rooms.  Maybe I can at least set up a nook when we move.  Priorities, eh?

A dedicated space would be wonderful. As I've yet to confess to my wife that I've started collecting I'd better put that idea on hold though :blush:

:)

Whoever thought of the Marble Mobile, kudos to them for the whimsy.  

I had sone adorable little Japanese tin litho cars which fit into matchboxes.  Sold 'em.  The next time I find any I'm keeping 'em.   And getting special vintage matchboxes for them.

Cars? My best friends Grandfather owned a toy factory in Lincoln Nebraska. They made what are now called slush toys. Basically cheap molded toys. Think early Tootsie Toys. She has a pretty extensive collection of some of the stuff he made. She asked me to help put up a webpage of some of her toys. It's still up.

Lincoln White Metal Works

mvc-004s.jpg

• 4 weeks later...