Agates

kbobam

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a man at work making California Agates out of Mexican onyx. These are machine-ground. The caption is incorrect. That's not the man with the son named Frankie who made the news with his collection of 3000 agates.

CaliforniaAgatesFactory_b.jpg

Here's Frankie's actual father, George Douglas Mitchell, and some of their California Agates:

Marbles016_50pct.jpg

Photo courtesy of Frankie's son, Doug Mitchell.

Hope the pictures are showing up. The seemed not to want to load at first.

Thank You! Nice inclusions on that one Alan, I always look at those as bonus features or extras. Here's a Mexican Crazy Lace Agate that was hand faceted a few years ago that was given to me as a birthday gift 2 years ago, the reason for modern day hand faceting on some is that the material used is to Brittle and or soft and would literaly fall apart if a sphere machine was used. DB.

post-3519-0-21593200-1426471354_thumb.jp

post-3519-0-99405900-1426471382_thumb.jp

I don't remember if I was told size. I wouldn't have guessed small, knowing the sizes on Calif Agate boxes I've seen. But ?

Also, I don't remember if I was told what the monogrammed pieces were.

Nothing wrong with a plain old Black & white, (stone) Then I just couldn't help myself, so Happy St. Patricks day in advance From Blackhawk Agates a few smoked Pistachios. DB.

Nope, nothing wrong with that.

Here's my Botswana agate -- (also hand cut, about two years ago. I'll get his name tonight -- he says he makes all of his marbles to be played with in traditional "Rolly Hole" games! Not that I would. But it's nice to know the intent is there . . .)

post-2163-0-44712100-1426618265_thumb.jp

So sharp.

How big is that one?

According to the guy who made it (Matthew DeGraffenried) it's .775. In my world it's just a hair over 3/4.

Love the fried egg!

And the board full of agates. And all the other agates. Including those made by Alleynut. Great thread!

I believe Mathew also made the crazy lace agate that was given to me as a gift, What would you pay for a (Real) Nice one? considering the cost of descent vintage glass these days, I find this one very very tempting, and I have purchased from Rikoo before, smooth transaction several years ago. Ebay item # 381178671293 a larger stunning example. DB.