Agates

kbobam

Orbboy I've never seen Lapis Lazuli in that color before? it looks more like an Amzonite with some quartz inclusions, Interesting Set . . .

I was worrying over that too, lapis being one of my long-time favorite things . . .

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hansel, I'm not aware of any specific type of banded Agates native to Colorado, perhaps they were imported from germany with a (Colorado) tag placed on them for tourists sales, takeing home a piece of Colorado might be atractive to folks at that point in time, or perhaps they cut some local petrified wood or jasper which can be heavily banded and bare the Agate title, the article with the gentleman that you added the link to suggests that he was heavily into Colorado mineral specimans at that point in time, very popular with the tourists then and still are today. with this being said I'm going to have to go and buy a very strange and Unique California / Mexican Onyx Agate Solitare game set that I saw at a local Antique shop, very unusual cardboard box that holds the marbles and (onyx) carved game board, there closed today I'll have to purchase it on monday, not marked with a manfacturer, just looking at the box I'd say sometime in the 40's to perhaps the 60's It's very strange to say the least, maybe Mexico?? DB.

No Ann, I didnt buy that one, however it was a very very nice example, I did go and buy this this morning its been sitting at a local Antique shop for about 6 months, trying to figure out a semi accurate date for this set, perhaps a souviner from Mexico. The box itself needs to be taped on all 4 corners of the lid, My guess on this set would be anywear from the 50's through the 70's just from the looks of the box, paper over cardboard, no maker on the set at all. Beautiful slab onyx game board about 8 inches across, marbles are all there, and are 9/16ths and appear to be machined rather than hand faceted, allthough numerous marbles have small flat spots.This set had been working on my mind for awhile, finally thought what the heck and just bought it. DB.

post-3519-0-23392900-1428770194_thumb.jp

post-3519-0-37937100-1428770227_thumb.jp

post-3519-0-45098300-1428770262_thumb.jp

• 3 months later...

I sometimes get agates that do not appear to have facets, but which in color and design look similar to hand-faceted agates. According to http://marbleconnection.com/topic/20580-carskadden-and-gartleys-chapter-on-agates/ agates that were left polishing long enough could come out without facets, and even some of the earlier agates were mill ground (but likely not with as high a polish).

I'm wondering whether anyone has found agates that look vintage but which lack facets, or in my case, one that appears to have none except a few faint ones on both poles under a loupe.

On the other hand, a truly hand-faceted one is unmistakable in sunlight and with the old thumbnail test.

I do not believe there was such a thing as "left polishing long enough" as that would not be a hand ground agate. There are some that are very well finished but with a magnifier facets can always be found on a hand ground agate. There are tons of machine ground agates that resemble hand ground agates in color and composition.

Ha!

I found myself trying to identify the islands down near the bottom of the boot.

How weird! I found myself seeing it upside down as Great Britain and - and - and - and - Greenland after a terrible catastrophe?

• 9 months later...